Pastner Staff Thread

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo this is where the most important hires will be made. Any rumors on the assistants?

So far I've heard Joe Dooley is rumored to be involved with an ACC assistant job (is it us?)

Sharman White (more of a hope than a rumor)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much about any of the names being thrown around but I'd like to see at least one guy that's somewhat on the "seasoned" side of college coaching experience.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Cabral Huff - all day. Coached Malik Beasley, Kobi Simmons, Kaiser Gates (Xavier), and James Banks (Texas) in high school. Has great recruiting ties to the state, would be an absolute slam dunk.

Also have it on good information Kobi would do everything he could to follow Huff to Tech.

How likely is Huff? That would be a slam dunk.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know much about any of the names being thrown around but I'd like to see at least one guy that's somewhat on the "seasoned" side of college coaching experience.

@dtm1997 posted a really good article in another thread about the importance of getting a seasoned assistant to help Pastner, so I think you are spot on. Joe Dooley is currently FGCU's coach and had a prior HC gig at East Carolina.

He's young but older than Pastner and pretty respected. If he comes here I think you have a guy with a great coaching voice who can coach the X's and O's for Pastner.

Then a team of Pastner, Huff, White, etc. can dominate Atlanta in recruiting. It makes this hire SIGNIFICANTLY better imo. So I hope some of these names start to come over.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Retain Chad Dollar

Disagree strongly with this. I have no reason to believe Dollar will show the same work ethic on the trail that Pastner will.

I bet by end of the weekend, Pastner will have made more recruiting calls to local HS prospects than BG & Dollar would have made from when the period started to its end ahead of AAU kicking off. Would bet money MJ Walker finally gets a hoops offer before the wknd is out.

As pointed out previously, great chance Sharman White & Cabral Huff are in the mix. Those Joe Dooley rumors are also out there, which is strange, but he'd be a good grizzled vet hire. I'd love to bring Cliff Warren back, but I don't see that happening. Would also love Charlton Young, mainly so he stops kicking our *** at FSU.

Some other ideas from Coaching Changes...

McCray is the former head of the Atlanta Celtics and is currently a Mississippi State assistant with stops at UCLA & LSU.
Norman Parker is the founder of the GA Stars, but that sounds a little bit out there.
Darryl LaBarrie is...

3527540.jpeg

but also has done well as an assistant at GSU since leaving GT.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with everyone mentioning Cabral Huff. Don't know how much you guys know about St. Francis, but it's not exactly the most attractive school. Huff somehow managed to recruit a lot of those kids there. Probably through AAU. Would love him on the staff.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree strongly with this. I have no reason to believe Dollar will show the same work ethic on the trail that Pastner will.

I bet by end of the weekend, Pastner will have made more recruiting calls to local HS prospects than BG & Dollar would have made from when the period started to its end ahead of AAU kicking off. Would bet money MJ Walker finally gets a hoops offer before the wknd is out.

As pointed out previously, great chance Sharman White & Cabral Huff are in the mix. Those Joe Dooley rumors are also out there, which is strange, but he'd be a good grizzled vet hire. I'd love to bring Cliff Warren back, but I don't see that happening. Would also love Charlton Young, mainly so he stops kicking our *** at FSU.

McCray is the former head of the Atlanta Celtics and is currently a Mississippi State assistant with stops at UCLA & LSU.
Norman Parker is the founder of the GA Stars, but that sounds a little bit out there.
Darryl LaBarrie is...

3527540.jpeg

Cliff Warren was fantastic at JU until the last few years or so but he seems pretty happy at Maryland. Would love to see him back but there are a LOT of quality assistants out there from the Atlanta area.

If you could put them in order what would they be? I think Huff and White are must haves.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Darryl LaBarrie is...

3527540.jpeg

Sorry. I'm not in the know at all on GT assistants or any assistants for that matter. I thought I heard Dollar was an asset. I was wrong it seems.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry. I'm not in the know at all on GT assistants or any assistants for that matter. I thought I heard Dollar was an asset. I was wrong it seems.

Don't expect everyone to share this opinion or be in the know, but I've been really unimpressed with Dollar. Does he get us kids? Yes. Does he get us the best kids or even get us a realistic chance with the best kids in-state? No.

Keep him and you leave the door open for UGA & Auburn to eat our lunch.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Does it make sense to retain someone like Mamadou N'Diaye on the staff? There is a future 7 footer tied to him if that makes a difference.

Also I'm pretty sure Gregory took the same approach Michigan State did with assistant coaches (each coach was in charge of a position group). That doesn't seem to be the case with Pastner so that may leave more room for creativity within the staff.