Pastner Staff Thread

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
GT was better off because Cremins had Perry Clark and George Felton.

What bothers me is a coach too insecure to get the best assistants for the team instead of hiring old cronies and inexperienced guys who won't question him.
This is where I will hope MBob has made it clear that he will be deeply and thoroughly involved in this process.

If a short leash at the start enhances chances for success down the road, let's hope CJP sees the wisdom in it and is good with that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
GT was better off because Cremins had Perry Clark and George Felton.

What bothers me is a coach too insecure to get the best assistants for the team instead of hiring old cronies and inexperienced guys who won't question him.

Worked pretty well for Bobby Dodd too,with Broyles and Graves. Compare Dodd's record before and after those two assistants left.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It took JS being able to pull a piece of paper out from under his chair in our Business Law final in order to pass that class, I believe.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I actually like the Bruiser Flint idea a little bit as possibly a more experienced coach. He actually followed Cal at UMass and had to deal with the mess left behind, much like Pastner. They probably could relate to each other well.
I went to grad school at Penn so Drexel was basically across the street. Good guy with alot of experience.

Don't know why Dooley would leave a HC job for an asst but would take him as an asst in a minute.

Getting at least one of White or Huff is imperative, get both and with Pastner as the HC GT will be much more of a force in metro Atlanta. I also liked yesterday where Pastner mentioned GT being a national brand. So while he made it clear first priority is the guys in Atlanta, he clearly plans to recruit on a national basis where it makes sense.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I actually like the Bruiser Flint idea a little bit as possibly a more experienced coach. He actually followed Cal at UMass and had to deal with the mess left behind, much like Pastner. They probably could relate to each other well.
I went to grad school at Penn so Drexel was basically across the street. Good guy with alot of experience.

Don't know why Dooley would leave a HC job for an asst but would take him as an asst in a minute.

Getting at least one of White or Huff is imperative, get both and with Pastner as the HC GT will be much more of a force in metro Atlanta. I also liked yesterday where Pastner mentioned GT being a national brand. So while he made it clear first priority is the guys in Atlanta, he clearly plans to recruit on a national basis where it makes sense.

4x CAA COTY. 330+ career wins. Presumably strong NE ties.

I was sure I'd be alone in that thought because he is definitely not an offensive mind.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is where I will hope MBob has made it clear that he will be deeply and thoroughly involved in this process.

If a short leash at the start enhances chances for success down the road, let's hope CJP sees the wisdom in it and is good with that.

Any opinions on whether Bobinski helped CBG with assistant coaches?

I've gotten the impression that most on this site aren't that impressed with our assistants. Was that because CBG didn't take help, Bobinski didn't help since CBG was already in place or there just wasn't the money?

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Any opinions on whether Bobinski helped CBG with assistant coaches?

I've gotten the impression that most on this site aren't that impressed with our assistants. Was that because CBG didn't take help, Bobinski didn't help since CBG was already in place or there just wasn't the money?
My gut hunch is that there just wasn't the money.

I have absolutely no inside information, though, so fwiw.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the offense & recruiting the Eastern Seaboard improved with Herrion's arrival. I think Mamadou did a good job developing Lammers, Chuck, Jacobs, etc.

I'll give credit to Dollar because he helped land a lot of our kids, including grad transfers, but where I take issue with him is that if you compare who we've landed relative to who's left the state the past few years, he comes up lacking in the results department. I'd have actually been ok leaving BG in place another year if you got some new blood in-state and let him try and recruit his way out of it, but clearly we had the cash to not need that.

Article below isn't particularly interesting, but does confirm that all 3 current assistants were at the press conference yesterday.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
In that AJC piece dtm links to:

“I’ve learned that hiring is an art, hiring is a process,” Pastner said. “The last thing you can do is rush into it. So that’s what I want to do, is take my time and if I’m by myself for a little bit, it is what it is, and we’ll just deal with it and I’ll do the best I can until we get some guys in here.”

Oh man, he really does want to get us confused with the proper acronyms on this site if he is already talking like CPJ!

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't understand the obsession with recruiting in Georgia. It's definitely important, but I think it's equally important to recruit nationally. It doesn't make sense to fit a square peg in a round hole because the peg is made in Georgia. I'm 100% with you and CJP on this.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the obsession with recruiting in Georgia. It's definitely important, but I think it's equally important to recruit nationally. It doesn't make sense to fit a square peg in a round hole because the peg is made in Georgia. I'm 100% with you and CJP on this.

- Our home state has a TON of good basketball talent. Also, cultivating local talent leads to more fan support.
- I assume it is less expensive to recruit your own backyard for equal talent.
- I think CJP addressed the national recruiting idea, and we will do it. Seems as if he stated a % breakdown. Not sure.

Regardless, you know what they say about plans once the bullets start flying. Whatever works.

Seems like in the mid to late 70's our FB team had more kids from Ga than ugag did.

D Royal at Texas never had a player on ship not from the state of Texas until he was there about 12 - 13 years.

Go with the flow I suppose, but we very much need to get our fair share + 1 from our home state.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
- Our home state has a TON of good basketball talent. Also, cultivating local talent leads to more fan support.
- I assume it is less expensive to recruit your own backyard for equal talent.
- I think CJP addressed the national recruiting idea, and we will do it. Seems as if he stated a % breakdown. Not sure.

Regardless, you know what they say about plans once the bullets start flying. Whatever works.

Seems like in the mid to late 70's our FB team had more kids from Ga than ugag did.

D Royal at Texas never had a player on ship not from the state of Texas until he was there about 12 - 13 years.

Go with the flow I suppose, but we very much need to get our fair share + 1 from our home state.
see, it seems as if Georgia AAU is flawed. Not much fundamentals, mostly athleticism. Not saying they are all like that, and the ones that are both athletic and fundamentally sound need to come to tech for sure, but if they don't fit, go out of state to get them. And comparing football recruiting to basketball does not really work.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
see, it seems as if Georgia AAU is flawed. Not much fundamentals, mostly athleticism. Not saying they are all like that, and the ones that are both athletic and fundamentally sound need to come to tech for sure, but if they don't fit, go out of state to get them. And comparing football recruiting to basketball does not really work.

I'm not sure about that. I think all you are really defining is a top 100 recruit from anywhere in the country who has gotten away with athleticism all of their life.

Georgia AAU has also produced extremely fine 2-3-4 year talent. Look no further than the squad with Brogdon, MGH, Parker, Blossomgame, etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My first focus would always be GA. You have to work to try to get alot of these great players to stay home.
But i'd also be recruiting nationally as it made sense.

i would expect at least one asst to get hired this week if not more. Mon-Thur is a quiet period, so after tonight Pastner will have 4 days that he could dedicate more time to hiring assts than he has had so far.

The only comment i'll add about Fuller is that he is a fantastic recruiting asst. He's worked under Prosser, Ed Cooley, Pitino and Haith and where ever he works they bring in major talent.