Pastner Staff Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does it make sense to retain someone like Mamadou N'Diaye on the staff? There is a future 7 footer tied to him if that makes a difference.

Also I'm pretty sure Gregory took the same approach Michigan State did with assistant coaches (each coach was in charge of a position group). That doesn't seem to be the case with Pastner so that may leave more room for creativity within the staff.

Agree on N'Diaye

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does it make sense to retain someone like Mamadou N'Diaye on the staff? There is a future 7 footer tied to him if that makes a difference.

Also I'm pretty sure Gregory took the same approach Michigan State did with assistant coaches (each coach was in charge of a position group). That doesn't seem to be the case with Pastner so that may leave more room for creativity within the staff.

RE: that 7ftr, that commitment is meaningless right now. A) we just hired a better recruiter. B) there's literally no evidence that the kid is any good other than he's attached to an AAU squad and is 7ft.

We'll learn more this summer about that kid.

That said, if you somehow fit CMN on staff to coach big men, I'm fine with that. I don't think there's room but you can't dispute his success in developing Lammers.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Not for the reason of keeping that one recruit.

I said before that I would prefer not to have holdovers from the previous staff, because I don't think our previous staff had any glaring strong aspects to it, but I'll be fine with whoever Pastner thinks he needs to succeed.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not for the reason of keeping that one recruit.

I said before that I would prefer not to have holdovers from the previous staff, because I don't think our previous staff had any glaring strong aspects to it, but I'll be fine with whoever Pastner thinks he needs to succeed.

I agree on all of the staff besides N'Diaye. Think he may have some staying power. As @dtm1997 mentioned Lammers' improvement was extraordinary.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I know this probably wouldn't work, but what if we put CBG on staff (if he even wanted that)? The players seem to love him, he has a great reputation off the court (graduation rates, character, etc.). It would make the transition smooth, and it would lock down the recruits who have already committed.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know this probably wouldn't work, but what if we put CBG on staff (if he even wanted that)? The players seem to love him, he has a great reputation off the court (graduation rates, character, etc.). It would make the transition smooth, and it would lock down the recruits who have already committed.
That would never happen

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree on all of the staff besides N'Diaye. Think he may have some staying power. As @dtm1997 mentioned Lammers' improvement was extraordinary.

He averaged just 3.5 ppg and 4 rpg this year in 15mpg. And to compare his season numbers to his late season numbers over the final 11 regular season ACC games, which puts his 10 point game against Cuse in the comparison so it actually helps his numbers, he averaged 3.4 ppg and 4.1 rpg in ~15.5 mpg. Now those numbers don't reflect his defense, although his blocking numbers weren't significantly different than his season average over that time frame either, but I think a lot of his improvement was related to finally getting significant minutes, and adjusting to the game. And I wouldn't call the improvement extraordinary. He got better, but I don't think he is that strong a case of keeping a guy on because of player development.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do think we ultimately need to move on from the entire staff, but I could rationalize keeping CTH and/or CMN. I would've been OK keeping BG also if we got some new blood to handle ATL recruiting.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
He averaged just 3.5 ppg and 4 rpg this year in 15mpg. And to compare his season numbers to his late season numbers over the final 11 regular season ACC games, which puts his 10 point game against Cuse in the comparison so it actually helps his numbers, he averaged 3.4 ppg and 4.1 rpg in ~15.5 mpg. Now those numbers don't reflect his defense, although his blocking numbers weren't significantly different than his season average over that time frame either, but I think a lot of his improvement was related to finally getting significant minutes, and adjusting to the game. And I wouldn't call the improvement extraordinary. He got better, but I don't think he is that strong a case of keeping a guy on because of player development.

I think Gregory's staff was atrocious as a whole but I do disagree with you on Lammers' development. He improved on so many small things. His freshman year he couldn't even grab the ball when it was passed to him.

This year he turned into an excellent defensive option, had great positioning, and showed more confidence. I think a lot was him maturing but you can't discount the coaching. He was really really poor his Freshman year and he turned into a serviceable player this year.

Food for thought but I'm not tied to him in the slightest!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think Gregory's staff was atrocious as a whole but I do disagree with you on Lammers' development. He improved on so many small things. His freshman year he couldn't even grab the ball when it was passed to him.

This year he turned into an excellent defensive option, had great positioning, and showed more confidence. I think a lot was him maturing but you can't discount the coaching. He was really really poor his Freshman year and he turned into a serviceable player this year.

Food for thought but I'm not tied to him in the slightest!

He improved for sure. But I don't think that improvement was extraordinary, and I don't think it screams "big guy whisperer". Maybe if he had been here since the beginning and also developed Miller, but I don't think there was any overlap there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Something to keep in mind, depending on how much we're ready to spend on a staff, the grizzled vet/calming influence/Xs & Os guy doesn't need to be a bench assistant. We would do well to hire a special assistant to the head coach the way Gene Keady was to Steve Lavin at St. John's or Denny Kuiper was to Shaka Smart at VCU and is at Texas.

Here's an article on Kuiper to provide conceptual background.
http://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls...-been-a-huge-help-for-smart-texas-basketball/