Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Greetings fellow Jackets. Long time no chat. I haven't been on the board for a long time, so I thought I'd check in on our pal Miracle Whips and see how much more trouble he's got himself in. The answer is: more than you can imagine (and I know several of you have vivid imaginations). He's involved in several other lawsuits and Jen and Ron are now facing a boatload of new criminal charges. I'll do a more detailed summary in the next couple of days but here's an appetizer:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...7/pastner-accusers-face-criminal-fraud-charge

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Greetings fellow Jackets. Long time no chat. I haven't been on the board for a long time, so I thought I'd check in on our pal Miracle Whips and see how much more trouble he's got himself in. The answer is: more than you can imagine (and I know several of you have vivid imaginations). He's involved in several other lawsuits and Jen and Ron are now facing a boatload of new criminal charges. I'll do a more detailed summary in the next couple of days but here's an appetizer:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...7/pastner-accusers-face-criminal-fraud-charge

I was excited to see you posting here again, looking forward to reading the update you write. Thanks for the work you put into this.

slugboy

Staff member

Mark Schlabach gets the byline for that? I'm not used to him as a basketball 'guy'.
I look forward to the day (again) that ESPN writes an article about Pastner for basketball things.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if CJP will ever fully recover from this or if this has had anything to do with his recruiting misses. However, if I had a child who was a top basketball prospect in the Nation, I think I would have reservations about his judgement. I have no problem with CJP befriending Bell and developing a relationship. I have no problems with him leaving him tickets. What I would have a problem with is that he let someone who obviously has mental issues and a history of drug abuse and illegal activities have that much access and contact with the kids. That's not poor judgement that affects just him, that's poor judgement that gives a lunatic basically unfettered access to 18-22 year old kids that were placed in your charge. I'm not sure I'd want to put my son with that kind of judgement.

Granted, he couldn't know that RB would flip out, but why let someone like that near the kids at all? That's bad judgement.
I've been thinking this for a long time. I've not really said it outloud. But I think it needs to be said.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if CJP will ever fully recover from this or if this has had anything to do with his recruiting misses. However, if I had a child who was a top basketball prospect in the Nation, I think I would have reservations about his judgement. I have no problem with CJP befriending Bell and developing a relationship. I have no problems with him leaving him tickets. What I would have a problem with is that he let someone who obviously has mental issues and a history of drug abuse and illegal activities have that much access and contact with the kids. That's not poor judgement that affects just him, that's poor judgement that gives a lunatic basically unfettered access to 18-22 year old kids that were placed in your charge. I'm not sure I'd want to put my son with that kind of judgement.

Granted, he couldn't know that RB would flip out, but why let someone like that near the kids at all? That's bad judgement.
I've been thinking this for a long time. I've not really said it outloud. But I think it needs to be said.
I had to go to my kids' Innovation Night so I rushed that last paragraph.

What I meant was that I've vacillated for months on whether to publicly share my thoughts on the subject and finally decided that, yeah, I'd share my thoughts. It's not something that needs to be said, but something I felt I wanted to say.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused by this

I think he was trying to tie the suspect twitter account to RB, but it was a horrible job. I do think that twitter account is RB. I find it amazing that he is being sued, potentially being prosecuted, yet he still is attempting to defame CJP. Maybe he is back on drugs now, but otherwise I don't see how someone could spend considerable time with him over several years and not know that he is wacko.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he was trying to tie the suspect twitter account to RB, but it was a horrible job. I do think that twitter account is RB. I find it amazing that he is being sued, potentially being prosecuted, yet he still is attempting to defame CJP. Maybe he is back on drugs now, but otherwise I don't see how someone could spend considerable time with him over several years and not know that he is wacko.

I think the issue is he is off his meds :eek: :sour:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is at least alot of good info in that report from ESPN.

it also mentioned that Pendley's attorney withdrew as her counsel on May 6th.

I'd be willing to bet that the DA tries to get Pendley to flip on Bell.

Note, this doesn't end either the lawsuit that Pastner has filed against Pendley and Bell nor the countersuit that Bell and Pendley filed against Pastner. But it certainly makes it alot easier to see what the eventual outcome will be.

It also shows that a DA has enough evidence to feel he can get a guilty verdict on an extortion scheme. DA's don't bring cases unless they feel pretty confident they are going to win.

And I agree with the thought that Pastner should have known better and this is a black spot on him, but I also understand that having hangers on at schools is a fairly universal practice by coaches. Pastner just had his blow up in his face.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Part I. Civil Cases

So rather than try and do one massive post, I’m going to break this down into many smaller blogs. (I’m frustrated in writing about this because the Pima County website sucks so much. Fully 95% of the filings are not on line). Let’s start with all the civil cases Ron and Jen are involved in (we’ll save the criminal cases for another day). The big one, CJP’s defamation and extortion case against Miracle Whips and his paramour, is specially set for trial beginning on August 20th. The judge has made it abundantly clear that this trial date is etched in stone and won’t be continued absent some emergency circumstances. So that one begins in less than 3 months. As I’ve posted many times before, it’s going to be a bloodbath for Ron and (probably) Jen.

The second active civil case is a separate lawsuit Ron filed against CJP and his lawyers. Because Pima County sucks so much, I can’t read the actual Complaint. All I’ve got to go on is this summary in the Arizona Daily Star:

In late February, Bell filed a separate lawsuit against Pastner, Tompsett and Palumbo, accusing them of abuse of process, aiding and abetting and civil conspiracy. The lawsuit says that the men have used “a number of legal processes” to interfere with Bell’s ability to defend himself against Pastner’s claims, and made false statements in an attempt to vilify Bell.

If this sounds moronic and frivolous, well that’s because it is. Evidently Miracle Whips didn’t like the fact that Josh hired the best civil litigator in Arizona, as well as one of the top sports litigation attorneys in the country. They in turn hired some top end private investigators and they collectively proceeded to turn over every stone in Ron’s miserable life. Arguably the precipitating event that prompted the second lawsuit was Ron being arrested and extradited to Georgia on an outstanding warrant. As I wrote in the other Ron thread, CJP’s private eyes sent a standard Open Records request to Cobb County asking for his criminal records. When the Cobb clerk’s office dug up the file from archives, they found a missing fugitive warrant for Ron on theft charges and forwarded it to the DA’s office, which then sent an extradition request to Arizona. There’s nothing nefarious or illegal about that. Welcome to the big leagues Sparky; you’re in way over your head.

The third active civil case is a defamation lawsuit filed against the great Caitlin Schmidt and the Arizona Daily Star for their coverage of Ron and Jen. While I haven’t read the lawsuit – you suck Pima County – I really don’t need to. Her reporting has been top notch and completely professional. It’s another frivolous lawsuit; it will go nowhere.

The final active civil case is a complete mystery. It was filed by Ron in late April against Benjamin Ayantola and Heather Ayantola. As best as I can tell from the Interwebs, he’s a therapist licensed in Arizona and she works at a Christian school as an administrative assistant. We don’t even know if it’s related to CJP. Miracle Whips, since you’re still an active poster on this board, why don’t you tell us why you filed this lawsuit and what it’s all about?

Finally, although it’s not technically a separate case, the “culprit hearing” is specially set for a 3 hour hearing on August 12th at 11:00 am PST. If you’ll recall, Ron and Jen were ordered to pay tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees to CJP for failing to respond to mandatory discovery and other discovery abuses. Ron and Jen contend that it wasn’t their fault but the fault of their previous attorneys and that the previous attorneys should have to pay the attorney fees. The hearing will determine the “culprit” ie who was responsible for the discovery abuses. Spoiler alert: Ron and Jen have zero chance to win this hearing.

So, that’s an overview of the active civil cases. Naturally, I have many thoughts on each of these cases. Additionally, it will be fun to address Ron and Jen’s criminal charges. All of this will have to wait for another day. Meanwhile, if anyone has any questions I’ll be happy to answer them as best I can.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I understand you wording, R & J are hoping to get their previous attorney to pay the judgement against them, saying he screwed up and did not provide the court with a mandatory discover response. That will be interesting. But, it does not change the judgement amount or the fact that it's owed to Josh. Correct?

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
If I understand you wording, R & J are hoping to get their previous attorney to pay the judgement against them, saying he screwed up and did not provide the court with a mandatory discover response. That will be interesting. But, it does not change the judgement amount or the fact that it's owed to Josh. Correct?

Absolutely correct