Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is great news:cool: Hopefully that psycho scumbag Ron Bell can share a cell with Jared from Subway;)

Nah, I'd prefer he share a cell with Brutus who's got a life sentence, an affinity for Ron's 'purdy mouth' and nothing to lose.

I feel like I went too far with that .... or not far enough? You be the judge.

Deleted member 2897

This was a good next step in closing this strange and terrible experience for Coach, his family and the Institute. I am hopeful that we quickly see the courts take action and put an end to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, lets not forget the damage this has done to his family. Restraining orders, personal security, I mean who knows what all terror they've been through. And with all the recent revelations about sexual assault, even the most loyal and dedicated wife could be expected to at least have some level of doubt. I hope they can all find some real peace now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That is a much higher bar for conviction than Title IX.

Would it be? I'm sure it would for a criminal case, but I thought it was a lawsuit. IANAL, but I thought in a civil case it can come down to solely who the jury believes. No doubt about who I would believe, but the jury could see a powerful and wealthy man who mistreated a woman and then had the gall to file a lawsuit against her. They could potentially see all of the bad publicity about R*n B**l as spin that the wealthy man's expensive lawyers put out to further harm the mistreated woman.

Hopefully an actual lawyer can speak to it.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Would it be? I'm sure it would for a criminal case, but I thought it was a lawsuit. IANAL, but I thought in a civil case it can come down to solely who the jury believes. No doubt about who I would believe, but the jury could see a powerful and wealthy man who mistreated a woman and then had the gall to file a lawsuit against her. They could potentially see all of the bad publicity about R*n B**l as spin that the wealthy man's expensive lawyers put out to further harm the mistreated woman.

Hopefully an actual lawyer can speak to it.

Pastner can actually defend himself in court and is entitled to counsel. In a Title IX situation I'm not sure he has any rights. GT may have treated him fairly but they didn't have to.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Pastner can actually defend himself in court and is entitled to counsel. In a Title IX situation I'm not sure he has any rights. GT may have treated him fairly but they didn't have to.

Hopefully a lawyer will chime in. It is just my impression that in a civil case facts matter, but spin matters almost as much.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've actually sat on juries for both a civil case and a criminal case. While the bar is higher for criminal, it is not as easy as you think to win a civil case (in our civil case the plaintant got $0).
Civil case is preponderance of the evidence. Basically, the every member of the jury has to be convinced that is more likely than not that the defendant in the case is responsible for what the plaintant alleges.

Criminal cases are beyond reason of a doubt - which actually has a literal number - 95% chance of being true.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
A little more detail about the report:
An investigator hired by Georgia Tech says sexual-assault allegations against men’s basketball coach Josh Pastner are “baseless” and were “concocted” as part of an extortion scheme.

Attorney Scott Schneider of the Fisher & Phillips law firm in New Orleans said Pastner had been “suckered” into associating himself with Ron Bell, a former prison inmate and reformed prescription-drug addict who once described himself as the coach’s biggest fan. Schneider disputed all claims that Pastner molested or inappropriately touched Bell’s girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley, of Tucson, Ariz.

“None of the allegations of sexual misconduct against Josh Pastner are credible,” Schneider wrote in a 29-page report, released Monday by Georgia Tech.

He added: “I have concluded that those allegations were fabricated and only were made after Bell’s other attempts to ‘finish’ Pastner failed.”
Schneider exonerated Pastner without speaking to either Bell or Pendley. His report said the couple’s lawyer refused to allow him to interview them. Pastner sued Bell and Pastner for defamation earlier this year, and they filed a countersuit that contained the sexual assault allegations.
https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-n...exual-assault-charges/3APpn0FGB0ZbHhaoV8eEdO/