Opposing Coach Comments in Athlon

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
When you play Georgia Tech, you have to be ready for a fistfight.

You guys need to parse the entire response.

The first sentence (above) is the actual answer to the question.

Every sentence after the first is a long list of excuses for the butt whoopin we put on whoever gave the answer.

I, for one, am proud that is the first statement in the answer. Pretty much confirms that we play football.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Burdell, I too have always seen those quotes as complimentary but it is readily apparent that just as many do not. I have always felt like teams that had a reputation of being tough, nasty and physical (the 'Bad Boy' Detroit Pistons, the old Miami Hurricanes and Oakland Raiders football teams, the Philadelphia Flyer teams aka the Broad street Bullies of the '70's) also had great success.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
"Offensively, they’re trying to use an ability to hurt your defensive linemen, secondary, everybody, with their scheme and the way they block. They really push the edge of the rules. They figure you can’t call a high-low block every play, so they’ll do it 60 times. That’s the first thing you have to fight against, and they have a great plan and you have to just try to stay one step ahead of the plan until the end of the game."

Found Cutcliffe

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding the anonymous coach's comment, a couple of remembrances from last season:
1. We were 4-4 in the Coastal last year. The only schools who did worse were Duke and UVA, both at 1-7.
2. Following the UNC loss, I seem to recall a UNC player's comment to the effect that we had less talent than any other ACC opponent [which was particularly insulting given that they were in the middle of their schedule at the time]. And he may not have dreamed this up on his own, if you know what I mean.
So if the unattributed comment came from someone we played before our big run, there was certainly a basis for the comment, especially if it came from someone who beat us handily like UNC (easily our worst loss).... and who usually finishes above us in the recruiting rankings. They hate playing us and often schedule an open date the week before.

northgajacket

Banned
Regarding the anonymous coach's comment, a couple of remembrances from last season:
1. We were 4-4 in the Coastal last year. The only schools who did worse were Duke and UVA, both at 1-7.
2. Following the UNC loss, I seem to recall a UNC player's comment to the effect that we had less talent than any other ACC opponent [which was particularly insulting given that they were in the middle of their schedule at the time]. And he may not have dreamed this up on his own, if you know what I mean.
So if the unattributed comment came from someone we played before our big run, there was certainly a basis for the comment, especially if it came from someone who beat us handily like UNC (easily our worst loss).... and who usually finishes above us in the recruiting rankings. They hate playing us and often schedule an open date the week before.

4-4 in conference play ( not division) and 6 teams finished with conference records worse than Tech.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabo/Venerables and Jimbo have always been pretty respectful of GT. Jimbo even went as far as explicitly stating to the media in 2014 that GT's cut blocking was not an injury threat to FSU because we were skilled enough to do it properly. I don't think it's Foster because he would have a) explicitly used the term "chop block" and b) he knows Jordan is an open field threat. Plus I think Foster has a certain level of respect for PJ.

Not to get a mob mentality here, but it sounds like Butcliffe all the way. He's openly criticized our talent at WR in the past.

northgajacket

Banned
It's kind of sad really. The guy obviously has an infatuation with GT and CPJ. The fact of the matter is Cutcliffe is only 2-7 against GT yet still talks trash about personnel and this guy has a losing record at Dook. Must be tough being in Coach K's shadow ( Hell I imagine the lacrosse team receives more attention).