Opposing Coach Comments in Athlon

Deleted member 2897

Reading that statement, it says things like 'our league' and is written in a way it implies it is from someone that has played us a lot. So as much as it sounds like Stoopid, I don't think it was him. And I don't think Dabo would have anything to gain by it. I don't think Venerables would say this if asked anonymously - he beats the snot out of us, so he'd just say its no big deal. I don't see the new coaches Fuente or Mendenhall saying it as they've only played us once. Same with previous crossover coaches like Boston College, etc. - they don't play us enough to give quotes out like this. Richt is like 14-2 in the last 16 games against us, so I could see him being the quote about out recruiting us. But he'd have nothing to gain by being negative on cut blocking, and it just doesn't seem like him to go there. So to me, it narrows it down to Larry Fedora and David Cutcliffe as they have been here long enough to have played us several times. I just don't see Fedora having the disposition to say these inflammatory things. I mean, I've seen him get mad, but at refs, etc. But these quotes are defamatory and are publicly calling out and accusing one of their fellow ACC teams of being underhanded, dangerous, and illegal...on purpose. The only person I can think of who has said derogatory things about us before (and other teams even) is Cutcliffe. He is also the only person I could see who would be envious and in direct competition for more *student*-oriented student athletes. Think about how this negatively impacts the league. Now teams in the SEC and Big 10 can hold up these quotes to defensive 4/5 stars and say 'don't go to Clemson or Florida State' (or whatever) 'because you're just going to get injured having to play this team. Not to mention recruiting against us.

I would hope that behind the scenes Todd Stansbury and Paul Johnson are setting up a conference call with the ACC to discuss this. I would be willing to pay large amounts of money behind the scenes to Athlon to uncover this guy and then leak it out. The internet and social media would absolutely obliterate that coach and that team...and rightfully so.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reading that statement, it says things like 'our league' and is written in a way it implies it is from someone that has played us a lot. So as much as it sounds like Stoopid, I don't think it was him. And I don't think Dabo would have anything to gain by it. I don't think Venerables would say this if asked anonymously - he beats the snot out of us, so he'd just say its no big deal. I don't see the new coaches Fuente or Mendenhall saying it as they've only played us once. Same with previous crossover coaches like Boston College, etc. - they don't play us enough to give quotes out like this. Richt is like 14-2 in the last 16 games against us, so I could see him being the quote about out recruiting us. But he'd have nothing to gain by being negative on cut blocking, and it just doesn't seem like him to go there. So to me, it narrows it down to Larry Fedora and David Cutcliffe as they have been here long enough to have played us several times. I just don't see Fedora having the disposition to say these inflammatory things. I mean, I've seen him get mad, but at refs, etc. But these quotes are defamatory and are publicly calling out and accusing one of their fellow ACC teams of being underhanded, dangerous, and illegal...on purpose. The only person I can think of who has said derogatory things about us before (and other teams even) is Cutcliffe. He is also the only person I could see who would be envious and in direct competition for more *student*-oriented student athletes. Think about how this negatively impacts the league. Now teams in the SEC and Big 10 can hold up these quotes to defensive 4/5 stars and say 'don't go to Clemson or Florida State' (or whatever) 'because you're just going to get injured having to play this team. Not to mention recruiting against us.

I would hope that behind the scenes Todd Stansbury and Paul Johnson are setting up a conference call with the ACC to discuss this. I would be willing to pay large amounts of money behind the scenes to Athlon to uncover this guy and then leak it out. The internet and social media would absolutely obliterate that coach and that team...and rightfully so.
I agree bwelbo. For me, it's the answer to the question, "Who is the whiniest coach in the conference?"

Deleted member 2897

The language sounds like Beamer from ~5yrs ago.

It could be Foster complaining about being schemed

The only reason I think no is because this is a fireable offense (falsely accusing another team of deliberately trying to hurt people when there is 10 years worth of video evidence in the public domain). It would not show well on Virginia Tech. Fuente has only been there 1 year and it was a good year. He's not going to want to start a potential sh-storm by having comments like this come out. Would Foster say something like this off the record behind Fuente's back? Dunno. The fact he didn't leave when Fuente was hired (or take a HC position there) shows he is a very loyal Virginia Tech guy and happy where he is. I'm not sure he would risk ruining all that by a scandal like this being uncovered about him.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You all know damn well its Cutcliffe, and frankly I don't have a problem with it. He's trying to win games and win recruits and Georgia Tech is direct competition for him. Georgia Tech plays within the rules and so is cutcliffe.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I think no is because this is a fireable offense (falsely accusing another team of deliberately trying to hurt people when there is 10 years worth of video evidence in the public domain). It would not show well on Virginia Tech. Fuente has only been there 1 year and it was a good year. He's not going to want to start a potential sh-storm by having comments like this come out. Would Foster say something like this off the record behind Fuente's back? Dunno. The fact he didn't leave when Fuente was hired (or take a HC position there) shows he is a very loyal Virginia Tech guy and happy where he is. I'm not sure he would risk ruining all that by a scandal like this being uncovered about him.

I don't think it was a hc or coordinator.

However, if you're going to speculate, previous complaining iirc is data.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yea this reeks of position coach to me.
I would bet, with absolutely nothing to back it up, that this is a series of quotes from position coaches from different teams who may, or may not be reflecting what their head coach believes. Speculating here, but Athlon probably pays these coaches some small amount to quote them, anonymously of course. It just doesn't sound like something a head coach or coordinator would bother with. Could be wrong but that's my take.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the part where Jordan isn't much of an open field threat.
somebody wanna ask Va Tech about that? For instance at the :24 second mark here:

Dang I can't wait for MJ to take the field. Looking back..ya the D played great with getting stops and causing turnovers, but on Offense we physically beat the hell out of them.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know why.

No why? whitecism?

Hey everyone dont be butthurt by the comments. The reality is we are near bottom half of league in nfl drafts. This can lead to the perception we are in overall talent as well. Hey i get it.

But actually I don't believe it purely. I think our talent is middle Acc at least. Because we recruit to our offensive system it really doesnt lend its hand well to the nfl or great obvious talent. Our tackles would never be used in the nfl. AB is not transferrable for what we look for. Our qb is not transferable easily.

About the only positions that are, BB, WR and C or G. Of which we put kids in the nfl.

On D we had 4 kids go to nfl active rosters from the 2014 squad.

We are middle acc. When you factor in the system and fits we are top 1/3 or so.

My view is. And the most important comment is this:

Be ready for a fistfight. Thats all that matters. And there is a gt hangover the following game. Alot of teams lose.

Deleted member 2897

[\
No why? whitecism?

Hey everyone dont be butthurt by the comments. The reality is we are near bottom half of league in nfl drafts. This can lead to the perception we are in overall talent as well. Hey i get it.

But actually I don't believe it purely. I think our talent is middle Acc at least. Because we recruit to our offensive system it really doesnt lend its hand well to the nfl or great obvious talent. Our tackles would never be used in the nfl. AB is not transferrable for what we look for. Our qb is not transferable easily.

About the only positions that are, BB, WR and C or G. Of which we put kids in the nfl.

On D we had 4 kids go to nfl active rosters from the 2014 squad.

We are middle acc. When you factor in the system and fits we are top 1/3 or so.

My view is. And the most important comment is this:

Be ready for a fistfight. Thats all that matters. And there is a gt hangover the following game. Alot of teams lose.

Last year IIRC we had 6 seniors graduate who were starters or at least got heavy playing time. The only guy out of that group who didn't (yet) make an NFL team is Freddie Burden, who just broke his leg.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I would bet, with absolutely nothing to back it up, that this is a series of quotes from position coaches from different teams who may, or may not be reflecting what their head coach believes. Speculating here, but Athlon probably pays these coaches some small amount to quote them, anonymously of course. It just doesn't sound like something a head coach or coordinator would bother with. Could be wrong but that's my take.

It could be done like the coaches poll, where the HC just passes it off to one of his staffers without Athlon specifically asking for one. That's probably the most likely, as the HC is generally too busy to even bother with stuff like this. That first quote, though, sounds like pure Cutcliffe.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
More than likely is coming from Dook. Had to listen to their sports announcer give a 5 minute disertation on the radio about cut blocks and that they would be banned before one of our games. Made it sound like Dook staff is lobbying to have it banned by the ncaa. They are a bunch of wimps. I live near Dook and can't decide which I dislike the most Dook or unc.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Beamer retired. He was the biggest complainer about our blocking scheme.

I agree with others that posted earlier...this type of "criticism" is getting old.