Opposing Coach Comments in Athlon

SlawDog

Banned
IMG_0573.JPG
Hmmm... using twitter to battle the media, hmmm...
Some context

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I can't believe that was a head coach or coordinator.
Why not? As members of the human race, coaches can also be idiots especially when it serves their self-interest.

CPJ's legitimate retort: Tell your defensive lineman to stop holding my OL when they're trying to avoid your DL on their way to the 2nd level, and they would never be in danger of encountering a high-low block. By coaching them to do this, it's actually you who are putting them in danger and obviously care nothing about their well-being, nor the rules, but only about your own success.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
No coach said that.
I understand and appreciate your sentiment. It is true that very few coaches would say it in so many words but unfortunately we do have a "rep" that is enduring even though it is unwarranted. Are we to be condemned because we block different? Our scheme is unusual but aren't you being paid the big bucks to figure out how to combat it? Some of these guys need to quit their complaining and do their jobs which is to coach. " They're just a nasty bunch..." I like it. Let's embrace who we are. We are a triple option football team that is regarded throughout the ACC as a "NASTY BUNCH". Gee, Will, Shamire, Parker, Andrew and the rest must have really mean to somebody.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand and appreciate your sentiment. It is true that very few coaches would say it in so many words but unfortunately we do have a "rep" that is enduring even though it is unwarranted. Are we to be condemned because we block different? Our scheme is unusual but aren't you being paid the big bucks to figure out how to combat it? Some of these guys need to quit their complaining and do their jobs which is to coach. " They're just a nasty bunch..." I like it. Let's embrace who we are. We are a triple option football team that is regarded throughout the ACC as a "NASTY BUNCH". Gee, Will, Shamire, Parker, Andrew and the rest must have really mean to somebody.
The dude's trying to sell magazines or get more hits on a website or something. I will say no respectable coach would have said that. I believe he made it up.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Could be but Athlon swears this comes from opposing coaches who remain anon. of course. No way to prove it or disprove it. Back in the day. In Dodd's time mind you when things were more shall we say civilized. The Atlanta Constitution had a weekly feature in which a coach (who was identified by the way) would give a brief "scouting report" on Tech's and Georgia's next opponents. This was just about always from a coach whose team had played Tech's and Georgia's upcoming opponents. It was never a head coach and was always sanitized but still gave interesting insights for hard core fans. To be sure, there was nothing about "nasty bunch" or "their personnel is probably towards the bottom of our league". Obviously when Tech would play VMI or some other cupcake it was hard to find positive things for coaches to say but they always managed to do so in a positive way. It would seem we have come a long way or maybe we haven't.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO this sounds a lot like a football coach. Petrino, Cutcliffe and probably a lot of assistants or head guys would Stoops to that level if anonymized.

Regarding "open field threat", I don't think the phrase is used to mean someone who hits the hole hard and can stride past second level, a la MJ. I think it's means "makes you miss" in the "open", like Charlie Rogers, Warrick or these two.

E.g., the linked article (paywall) describes using Cordarelle on kickoffs, reverses, tosses and other plays where he is a threat in the open field. Compare that to the VT clip, where MJ is literally surrounded by defenders and then breaks into a sprint in the open field.

It's not a dig on MJ, Nesbitt, Dedrick, David Sims, etc -- just different skills.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MJ is a closed field threat... I do think MJ has some speed that is deceptive along with the ability to break arm tackles. He will not juke you out of your shoes, but he has some good speed and vision.

I have been watching the 2008 season (as I Did not start watching GT football till 2010) and I see some similarities to Jabo. Crazy to think he was a true freshman making great under pressure pitches. (I forgot how bad TV was 10 years ago... I love HDTV)

I am excited to see what MJ or the other QBs accomplish in 2017.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
MJ is a closed field threat... I do think MJ has some speed that is deceptive along with the ability to break arm tackles. He will not juke you out of your shoes, but he has some good speed and vision.

I have been watching the 2008 season (as I Did not start watching GT football till 2010) and I see some similarities to Jabo. Crazy to think he was a true freshman making great under pressure pitches. (I forgot how bad TV was 10 years ago... I love HDTV)

Good description: "closed field threat". But, I have seen MJ do some impressive things to juke/avoid penetrating DL to make something positive out of negative, which takes some close-quarters quickness and athleticism. I think he's pretty darn similar to Nesbitt, which is a compliment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Do you have any clips of him at ABack? I remember being impressed with him but don't recall details.