Opposing Coach Comments in Athlon

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When someone says we have talent towards the bottom of the league, yet we've managed under CPJ to go to 3 ACCCG, 2OBs, and been the top 1-3 teams in the Coastal countless times, well, what does it say that the majority of the ACC "out recruits" us? Doesn't say much for someone's coaching ability...

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
When someone says we have talent towards the bottom of the league, yet we've managed under CPJ to go to 3 ACCCG, 2OBs, and been the top 1-3 teams in the Coastal countless times, well, what does it say that the majority of the ACC "out recruits" us? Doesn't say much for someone's coaching ability...
That was my reaction.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I've seen PJ and Richt in the same room together and they are cordial toward each other. Maybe Richt is frontin, maybe not.

ok man. clearly I wouldn't post something like this if I truly didn't know....Richt does not like paul. It doesn't mean because you are in the same room you start fighting or act like little girls in high school and behave with grudges. They are still grown men.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I definitely don't think that's Richt over Cutty. Almost assuredly Cutty. I think CPJ is pretty cordial with Dabo, Jimbo, Fedora, etc...

paul and dabo are friends. I don't know about fedora. Jimbo I just think its a minor relationship...not even in the same division etc. Richt said paul the one person in all of ncaa football he can't stand, and that he gets along with almost everyone.

does that mean its his quote. Nope, but it wouldn't shock me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
paul and dabo are friends. I don't know about fedora. Jimbo I just think its a minor relationship...not even in the same division etc. Richt said paul the one person in all of ncaa football he can't stand, and that he gets along with almost everyone.

link?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

When and where did Richt say that?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sorry, but I can't stand these anonymous quotes. Man up and take ownership of what you say. The only reason why you would say something like that and not want your name attached to it is because you are scared of the person it is aimed at.
If it's not anonymous you just get the meaningless twaddle you get at Media Days.

From what I've read, most of these quotes come from assistant coaches because they're easier to get a few minutes of time from.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If it's not anonymous you just get the meaningless twaddle you get at Media Days.

From what I've read, most of these quotes come from assistant coaches because they're easier to get a few minutes of time from.

Yeah, I think the article is billed as 'comments from a COACH .. who's probably not the head coach, is probably a quality-control guy or the get-back coach but I'll say it's anonymous so no one actually asks who I spoke to but even if they do I'll cite journalism to avoid having to reveal who it was' but it comes across as comments from head coaches.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I hope they hate each other..... frick Mark Richt

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BTW...when did annual sports magazines go the TMZ route? Really?!

The good thing about sports is it doesn't matter what you say. You still gotta step on the field and back your mouth up, or get your tail whipped.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
BTW...when did annual sports magazines go the TMZ route? Really?!

The good thing about sports is it doesn't matter what you say. You still gotta step on the field and back your mouth up, or get your tail whipped.

I'm starting to think TMZ is the gold standard among journalists. At least they're honest about what they are (and aren't).

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
To a radio host i happen to know. He said it years back while at uga.
Yeah well radio hosts are there to get ratings so if you're banking on what a radio host says to save your life you may be out of luck. I find it very difficult to believe he would say anything near that having known the man since he was OC at FSU. In fact I think the whole story is just a magazine writer trying to get readers. A young coach, grad assistant or player maybe said something like that but I don't believe anyone with any real responsibility said it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah well radio hosts are there to get ratings so if you're banking on what a radio host says to save your life you may be out of luck. I find it very difficult to believe he would say anything near that having known the man since he was OC at FSU. In fact I think the whole story is just a magazine writer trying to get readers. A young coach, grad assistant or player maybe said something like that but I don't believe anyone with any real responsibility said it.

In defense of 33, he didn't say the radio host said it over the radio and he happened to be tuning in. He said the host told him that personally, off the record. It's not inconceivable that a comment like that was made off the record.

I do agree with you, though, that the comments in that article probably came from some dude who doesn't really have any responsibilities.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
A lot of coaches couldn't stand Bobby Dodd or Pepper, or Curry, or O'Leary. I hear tell it is a pretty competitive and envious line of work.

If you think about it, there is no reason for Richt to hate CPJ for publicly known reasons like head to head records, recruiting battles etc, so it would almost have to be various trash talk and FU's that CPJ has said to him in private conversations in the past.