Opposing Coach Comments in Athlon

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The comment that we chop block 60 times a game is ridiculous. Crap like this puts refs on high alert to where they're looking for it. Anything remotely close gets flagged. It's total bs.

Deleted member 2897

Cutcliffe is just a jealous beotch who knows his ruse is up. A $100M stadium renovation- six 4*s a year, and he went 1-7 in the ACC. He plays a cupcake schedule and may only win a total of 4 games again. I'm thinking Duke is stuck with an a-hole coach who is going downhill with 5 years left on his contract.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Eliminate the class guys like Richt and Swinney who don't have time for this stuff and will play it as it lies, discard the ones who haven't played us like Petrino or Doeren from State (what, once?) Wake Forest, Syracuse and then have fun winnowing the field. I don't think it's Cutcliffe as he tends to be public in his views. Fedora at UNC, probably. But I admit I just don't like the guy. But so Tech is a nasty bunch? This cut blocking campaign is working, guys. Keep it up. I'm putting a warning on my voicemail and making up phony casualty lists.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought the quotes were pretty flattering. I don't understand why so much fret and concern over who said them. Isn't it the goalof every team & coach to get where other teams don't like to play you? I don't imagine people like playing Alabama all that much either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I thought the quotes were pretty flattering. I don't understand why so much fret and concern over who said them. Isn't it the goalof every team & coach to get where other teams don't like to play you? I don't imagine people like playing Alabama all that much either.

You may be alone.

I suspect that most people view the accusation that our players are coached to break rules that put health of others at risk is not flattering.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-college-footballs-top-25-toughest-schedules-2017

15. Georgia Tech
xGeorgiaTech_logo_new_web.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k0KCGqkwNq.jpg

The Yellow Jackets always close the season with out-of-conference rival Georgia, guaranteeing Georgia Tech at least one marquee non-conference date. This year, it's one of two big-time matchups with the SEC on the docket. Tech welcomes Tennessee to Atlanta on Labor Day evening for a "neutral" field game, kicking off a challenging slate that includes home games against Pitt, North Carolina and Virginia Tech; and a cross-divisional road test at Clemson.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You may be alone.

I suspect that most people view the accusation that our players are coached to break rules that put health of others at risk is not flattering.

Unless I misread it,the quote says that we "push the edge of the rules" not that we are "coached to break the rules" as you put it. I think the first is flattering..to me, seems like you are seeking every possible competitive advantage within the rules. Who doesn't want that from their coach and team?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Unless I misread it,the quote says that we "push the edge of the rules" not that we are "coached to break the rules" as you put it. I think the first is flattering..to me, seems like you are seeking every possible competitive advantage within the rules. Who doesn't want that from their coach and team?

Yeah, you mis( or under-)read. The next sentence said we'll chop block 60 times a game because we don't think they'll call it.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I am with you. A football coach complaining that their competition is too "nasty" is a bizarrely Duke complement.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, you mis( or under-)read. The next sentence said we'll chop block 60 times a game because we don't think they'll call it.

I think a lot of us feel like holding by OL happens way more than it is called. Same with travelling in BB. Greg Maddux was reputed to have a wider strike zone due to his reputation. I think it is sound sports strategy to push the edge of the rules and take as much as the refs will allow. The 'cut block' vs. "chop block' may be poor choice of words as we hear this mistake often. Or it is just whining. Which is amusing and not to be taken seriously imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of us feel like holding by OL happens way more than it is called. Same with travelling in BB. Greg Maddux was reputed to have a wider strike zone due to his reputation. I think it is sound sports strategy to push the edge of the rules and take as much as the refs will allow. The 'cut block' vs. "chop block' may be poor choice of words as we hear this mistake often. Or it is just whining. Which is amusing and not to be taken seriously imo.

The quote referred to high low (ie chop) blocks. Your reference to cut vs chop debate suggests you aren't discussing in good faith.

Deleted member 2897

It says we are a nasty bunch and trying to hurt their defensive linemen. That's not flattering, that's inflammatory, as they are accusing us of intentionally trying to hurt people. This is like the bounty list that New Orleans ran before.

Deleted member 2897

If it's Duke/Cutcliffe, the GIF of the Duke player twisting Justin's knee in '14 would be highly appropriate to display the irony/hypocrisy.

Anybody who has that, please post. It never gets old, and I can never find that GIF when I need it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It says we are a nasty bunch and trying to hurt their defensive linemen. That's not flattering, that's inflammatory, as they are accusing us of intentionally trying to hurt people. This is like the bounty list that New Orleans ran before.

why would you not want people to think that?? Let me be clear - I am not advocating dirty play by any means. But I see no harm, and possibly some benefit, to having other teams think that. Psychological warfare. People who are more motivated about protecting their potential pro careers (however much of a pipe dream that may be) than dealing with their assignments would seem to work in our favor.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
why would you not want people to think that?? Let me be clear - I am not advocating dirty play by any means. But I see no harm, and possibly some benefit, to having other teams think that. Psychological warfare. People who are more motivated about protecting their potential pro careers (however much of a pipe dream that may be) than dealing with their assignments would seem to work in our favor.

It becomes bad when it influences the refs, which is unfortunately a side effect of building that reputation. If enough coaches complain about it, they start specifically watching for it and then call us on the very iffy ones where the OL gets himself chopped because he held onto a DL trying to get past to the next level. As these penalties are 15 yarders, they tend to be drive killers and in effect turnovers.

Deleted member 2897

I get your point, but I want to be above that. I don't want people to ever think we are trying to intentionally hurt people. I don't want that for a reputation for our players or our school. I want to be the high achieving, academically-elite, hard working underdogs that aren't afraid of playing anybody, anytime, anywhere.