Observations

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On Allen-- what a story.I was never that impressed with him but the guy looked like a natural out there.I think he may have taken some def players by surprise.If so,SHAME on them.He's been there. He may be the main man next yr once he gets more exp/reps --which remember is more than almost anybody else.

The Centers need to get some kudos..For new guys there were few obvious errors.

I was not impressed with the first DBs last nite too much or general tackling by the LBs /DBs..They were not playing the Broncos offense .. .DJ gets penalty.Golden must have missed 3 tackles. Missed PJ.
otoh--Now Jalen Johnson flashed some ability. I would love to have 200 lb r-Fr /soph? good enough to start soon

I now think the difference between a good and very good season BESIDES INJURIES is -
1.If JHD is back--we will actually have a inside DL and a much stronger def
2.WR--we have GOT to have dependable downfield threats--With as few passes as we throw the type of miss with Messick is a killer

The guy is a Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Major. He's just an impressive guy with a great attitude.

I hope his home is at BB and we don't move him around too much before it's too late...like Synjyn. Gotta make you wonder what we would have had at BB had the coaches moved Synjyn there sooner. I really like what I saw with Allen. A guy who's not the most technical BB, but his natural RB instincts are pretty evident. Most of his yards came after contact...something guys like David Sims and Laskey had a problem with at first. Ran with power, but also had enough quickness to get by guys after first contact. Like I said in another thread, sometimes when a player has to play a bigger role they step their game up to meet the demands. Looks like Allen is doing just that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you can say he would never see the field at WR.

First, we know CPJ likes big physical WR's who can block. Check.
Second, it appears he can catch the ball. I don't know the official stats but he caught a ton of balls on Friday night and piled up the receiving yardage.
Maybe CPJ was on to something with him at WR and now he's going back to B-back due to the injury situation.

2 catches for 42 yards. Yep...looks like a line for GT WRs. :)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Let's get back to the OP. Good points Boomer. Spring games have a poor correlation to predicting next year' s outcome. After last years spring game, we were being made fun of by everyone. How things have changed.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MA did a great job with only one week at the position. He looked like he knew where he was going. He did block, maybe not dominate, but he made both passing and run play blocks. He made receptions. He made both long and short yard runs. What more could you ask?

MA was moved a few times is all most of us really know (unless you have inside knowledge). He has been working out to play WR. I bet over the summer he can add a few more pounds to play BBack.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Guess we'll be seeing/hearing Marcus Allen banter for a while now that there isn't any more practices 'til August. Something to chew on that we were not expecting 2 - 3 weeks ago.

@Techster - good chuckle with the "2 catches for 42 yards. Yep...looks like a line for GT WRs" comment. ;)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you can say he would never see the field at WR.

First, we know CPJ likes big physical WR's who can block. Check.
Second, it appears he can catch the ball. I don't know the official stats but he caught a ton of balls on Friday night and piled up the receiving yardage.
Maybe CPJ was on to something with him at WR and now he's going back to B-back due to the injury situation.
Tell you what. A guy could go broke betting he had figured out Paul Johnson. One could assume it would be at any of the spots he has practiced at and still miss. Makes it interesting.

LibertyTurns

Banned
MA did a great job with only one week at the position. He looked like he knew where he was going. He did block, maybe not dominate, but he made both passing and run play blocks. He made receptions. He made both long and short yard runs. What more could you ask?

MA was moved a few times is all most of us really know (unless you have inside knowledge). He has been working out to play WR. I bet over the summer he can add a few more pounds to play BBack.
If he can get Dean's List grades in Fluids, Thermo, Organic Chem & Diffy Q's while juggling football workouts, I think he can pick up the playbook fairly rapidly. We're not talking about some idiot up the road here, we're talking about a fine Tech Man. He will excel when he's ready to contribute which looks like September.

As for CPJ's psychology, I wish you all luck figuring him out. What is apparent is he gets more from less than most anyone I can think of. Glad he's on our side. I just hope we can string together good seasons so we can end all the teeth gnashing that goes on every year, but history is not on our side here. It's more likely we'll regress to the mean but I wouldn't bet against Coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tell you what. A guy could go broke betting he had figured out Paul Johnson. One could assume it would be at any of the spots he has practiced at and still miss. Makes it interesting.

CPJ offered Messick at WR when he had zero interest from any program on any level. The dude played in run heavy offense in high school and barely made a blip in the county he played in. A bunch of us were wondering "huh?" when he committed to us.

Dude showed out during one of our camps and earned an offer. Now he's one of the top WRs in our rotation this season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
As for CPJ's psychology, I wish you all luck figuring him out. What is apparent is he gets more from less than most anyone I can think of. Glad he's on our side. I just hope we can string together good seasons so we can end all the teeth gnashing that goes on every year, but history is not on our side here. It's more likely we'll regress to the mean but I wouldn't bet against Coach.

We were 54th in the nation in 2013 in total offense against FBS teams. Not sure how that is getting more from less, unless we had below average talent. Recruiting wasn't all that good, but I wouldn't say that the offense was below average in talent.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We were 54th in the nation in 2013 in total offense against FBS teams. Not sure how that is getting more from less, unless we had below average talent. Recruiting wasn't all that good, but I wouldn't say that the offense was below average in talent.

Efficiency is a better measure given our offense style (low number of total possessions and long drives). CPJ's style hurts his total offense numbers and inflates his defensive numbers in general. That said, I am not sure where we rank in efficiency for 2013.

thwgjacket

You pick the only "bad" (we were still decent) offensive year we've had under CPJ to try and prove your point?

I get it, I clicked on your name and one of the first posts that pops up is you saying we were lucky to not be 7-5 this past year.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
You pick the only "bad" (we were still decent) offensive year we've had under CPJ to try and prove your point?

I get it, I clicked on your name and one of the first posts that pops up is you saying we were lucky to not be 7-5 this past year.
Don't you just love when fans of Georgia tech don't even support them ? Why even be a fan it's kinda pointless, they Just need to go cheer for a team like Alabama, they might get more excitement from watching their games!

thwgjacket

Why would he move him to WR, a position he has never played and has talented guys already there, if he weren't trying to get his attention? By moving him there and his "whatever" attitude regarding MA during the after practice conference, there is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to get his attention. Why is what I would like to know?Again, IMO, he didn't look like a player that was enjoying himself at the scrimmage. Time will tell. I believe he is talented but what is between the ears is equally important.
Coaches don't send messages,like the one you've implied with your posts, to players by changing their position. Coaches change a players position because they think he can play there. Why waste Buzz Preston's time teaching a kid to play a new position just to send a message to the player? Those are valuable practice minutes, they're not given away to send a message. For those of you who were not athletes. It would be like having a huge work project due in the Fall that has rules that restricts the amount of time you can work on it. Then you use that valuable time making a person that works on the project learn how to do the janitors job for no other reason than to send them a message. It's a waste of everyone's precious time and that's not what CPJ was doing.

MA is the same size as Smelter, with good hands, and you really can't fathom him playing at WR at some point? Even if only for blocking purposes?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ offered Messick at WR when he had zero interest from any program on any level. The dude played in run heavy offense in high school and barely made a blip in the county he played in. A bunch of us were wondering "huh?" when he committed to us.

Dude showed out during one of our camps and earned an offer. Now he's one of the top WRs in our rotation this season.
This staff, whether it is Johnson or someone else, seems to have a history of such identifications early on. A unique skill that has backfired by IDing such for other schools not so adept, or maybe not so willing to trust their judgments enough to be out front alone.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IMO with CJ and Quaide and MLD coming in and WR--where TWO are on the field at a time and 4-5 typically rotate it makes sense MA would play at WR.

Lose CJ and Quaide and it then makes sense to play MA at BB.

We are lucky that MA like Synjyn is versatile. Seems like PJ was already running plays to take advatage of MA's skillset.

MA is the next man up and he looks like he's doing his job well....something we saw a lot last year. Good sign IMO.

Declinometer

Banned
Coaches don't send messages,like the one you've implied with your posts, to players by changing their position. Coaches change a players position because they think he can play there. Why waste Buzz Preston's time teaching a kid to play a new position just to send a message to the player? Those are valuable practice minutes, they're not given away to send a message. For those of you who were not athletes. It would be like having a huge work project due in the Fall that has rules that restricts the amount of time you can work on it. Then you use that valuable time making a person that works on the project learn how to do the janitors job for no other reason than to send them a message. It's a waste of everyone's precious time and that's not what CPJ was doing.

MA is the same size as Smelter, with good hands, and you really can't fathom him playing at WR at some point? Even if only for blocking purposes?
They change players positions because they feel that they won't contribute at their normal positions, LB and running back. Using your argument, they wouldn't waste valuable practice minutes if they thought he would. He's at B back now through attrition. I guess his practicing at WR was a waste of everyone's time in your opinion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Football is on the verge of baseballing itself, pouring stat atop stat until the game becomes incomprehensible and unenjoyable, and coverage and game stats so dense and acronym-ridden so as to turn off even the most hardened bureaucrat in the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I gather from trying to follow all these that Tech lost more than it won last year with an offense that is somewhere south of the flying wedge.