Observations

Declinometer

Banned
I'm not sure what you think a "Great" player looks like.
Great players are- Calvin , Little Joe, J. Dwyer etc... I could name a couple more but you should follow the drift. Marcus Allen is not in this category. If he was , we would have seen it by now. Coaches would have had him on the field before now.

He was great at B back until we needed him at LB. Then he was great at LB back until we needed him at WR. Then he was great at WR until we needed him back at B back. The problem is that he is too great or we're not very good at all of those positions.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ offered Messick at WR when he had zero interest from any program on any level. The dude played in run heavy offense in high school and barely made a blip in the county he played in. A bunch of us were wondering "huh?" when he committed to us.

Dude showed out during one of our camps and earned an offer. Now he's one of the top WRs in our rotation this season.
I'm not sold on AM yet.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He was great at B back until we needed him at LB. Then he was great at LB back until we needed him at WR. Then he was great at WR until we needed him back at B back. The problem is that he is too great or we're not very good at all of those positions.

:cry: jk

I think that's why he said Allen is someone who has all the physical tools TO be a great player...not that he's one now.

Marcus career isn't over and he has a chance to still be a very good player for us...Look how good Synjyn was last year at B Back.

I think players like Calvin, Dwyer and Lil Joe are better than great..those are elite players...once in a blue moon kinda guys who can come in and be great almost right away....some guys need time to develop before they can be great.
I hope he develops into a good player for us but he isn't going to be "Great". Let's just get that part of it out of the way. I just think that word should only be used for the few names I mentioned in my other post.

Comparing Calvin to anyone, even players in the "great players" category, is unfair other to everyone other than Rice, Moss, maybe 2 more. As for Joe, comparing any Tech player is unfair - isn't he the most beloved GT football player ever? And Dwyer is almost the perfect BBack that I could reasonably imagine for a college player. Marcus Allen doesn't need to be anywhere near these guys' level or even as good as the production we had last year for us to be really good.

Edit^^ pretty much what Eric said above
I'm just saying he isn't going to "Great".

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I hope he develops into a good player for us but he isn't going to be "Great". Let's just get that part of it out of the way. I just think that word should only be used for the few names I mentioned in my other post.

Guess it just depends on the grading scale.

For example...I thought Synjyn was great last year...but he wasn't a Dwyer.

Just depends on what great means on everyone's grading scale.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sold on AM yet.

I don't think he'll be a dominant WR like a Smelter, but I think he can be a very good WR that blocks well (remember, he played before Jeune did last season), and he's shown the speed to get behind the defense. He'll be like Melton and Autry...really good at blocking which gets him on the field, but not advanced in the receiving and playmaking aspects to be a dominant "next GT WR" mold. That's OK...not everyone can be a BeyBey/Stephen Hill/Smelter type WR, and we need guys that are willing to block and not cry about it (see Jeff Greene).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he'll be a dominant WR like a Smelter, but I think he can be a very good WR that blocks well (remember, he played before Jeune did last season), and he's shown the speed to get behind the defense. He'll be like Melton and Autry...really good at blocking which gets him on the field, but not advanced in the receiving and playmaking aspects to be a dominant "next GT WR" mold. That's OK...not everyone can be a BeyBey/Stephen Hill/Smelter type WR, and we need guys that are willing to block and not cry about it (see Jeff Greene).
The latest report from CPJ on wr's is it's Jeune and Summers and nobody else is close. That plus the Hillesque drop in the spring game is why I'm not sold.... yet. Waller took his sweet time, as did many other major contributors last year, so I'm not giving up on him by any means, but I'm not expecting anything based on one td in garbage time last year where he ran the wrong route and had a "look what I found" catch.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anybody think Tony Hollings was going to be "great" when he switched over from being a second string defensive back? He burst on to the scene like a lightning bolt before he went down with a knee. You never really know. Marcus obviously has good feet and a little bit of "want to" in the way he runs. It can happen for him. We will see. I certainly wasn't turned off by his performance the other night. In fact, it was more of the opposite. Call me intrigued and ready to see more. I am concerned about BB, but not ridiculously so. We just have to let this thing play out. The good news is that all the other variables surrounding that position seem to be in good order.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody think Tony Hollings was going to be "great" when he switched over from being a second string defensive back? He burst on to the scene like a lightning bolt before he went down with a knee. You never really know. Marcus obviously has good feet and a little bit of "want to" in the way he runs. It can happen for him. We will see. I certainly wasn't turned off by his performance the other night. In fact, it was more of the opposite. Call me intrigued and ready to see more. I am concerned about BB, but not ridiculously so. We just have to let this thing play out. The good news is that all the other variables surrounding that position seem to be in good order.
I remember him having a major case of fumble-itist in spring prior to his amazing but short career at tailback. I think I even remember the coaches making him carry a football around to class so he'd learn the importance of hanging on to the dang thing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Good grief....what is your fixation, with a negative slant even, all about? Did he beat you up at school and take your lunch money? No one has ever labeled him great. Many were pleasantly surprised by his spring game performance....with some reason.

And I actually would say that we needed, or could have used more help at, Bback, LB, and at WR when he moved to each. You seem now, with zero insider info apparently, convinced these moves were made either because he sucked at each or was a problem in some way that CPJ handled thru position changes. Why not consider this?....maybe the kid is athletic and versatile enough to be able to contribute at each spot.
I haven't seen anyone propose he's the next Bo Jackson. But I think many believe he can be a positive contributor. How bout we let things play out and see rather than continuously tarnish him for not already being the next great back?

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to numerous spring practices when Hollings was switched, ans you could see it from the beginning that he had a citation ans cutting ability that was rare and Barry Sandersesque. I haven't been able to watch the spring fame yet, but that one highlight that has been posted and it had one run. But in that run, Allen showed an ability to run through tackles that we have sometimes lacked at the bback position (we had it last year for the first time in a couple of years). Here's hoping that that one highlight is just a preview of things to come from him.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I went to numerous spring practices when Hollings was switched
His name is never mentioned that I don't get sad about what might have been. I do not believe Tech has ever had a running back comparable to him. Sanders, Sayers, Dorsett, Simpson are all good comparisons when talking about his ability to cut on a time, see the field, explode when there was an opening, reverse the field and follow blocking.