Observations

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
- really my only concern on offense is at WR. No one is a real playmaker out there. Summers made a nice play or two and Juene looks like he's the number one guy, but neither guy is as good as even waller, let alone smelter. I hope they prove me wrong and really show up in the fall.

There were a lot of dropped balls even with the wetness. 2-3 were easy pickings and just went through. Demonstrated Byerly can throw the ball, but not sure if we have guys to go get it.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
marcus allen may be the lightest 6'2" 225 I've ever seen. Hopefully he's found his spot and the S&C can work with him as a bback rather than WR (or whatever else he's been). He absolutely needs to put on weight, but he definitely has the frame to carry more.

I like how he runs. No nonsense style with good awareness and times his power well, keeps his feet moving, and has deceptive speed. Looked like a young laskey.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There were a lot of dropped balls even with the wetness. 2-3 were easy pickings and just went through. Demonstrated Byerly can throw the ball, but not sure if we have guys to go get it.
I have not been able to see the replay yet. Sounds like drop balls from a number of you is a concern. How about the mesh and fumbles? Not sure if I have seen anyone really talk about whether the mesh looked good? I saw one comment that they thought the spacing looked good between JeT and the AB's. And do I vaguely remember that this time last year we were singing the blues about fumbles as well as dropped balls?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
marcus allen may be the lightest 6'2" 225 I've ever seen. Hopefully he's found his spot and the S&C can work with him as a bback rather than WR (or whatever else he's been). He absolutely needs to put on weight, but he definitely has the frame to carry more.

I like how he runs. No nonsense style with good awareness and times his power well, keeps his feet moving, and has deceptive speed. Looked like a young laskey.

100% agree with all of this.

He looks around 200 pounds or so...but I like him as a player.. Excited to see his future.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marcus was S&C to play WR. That is different from BBack.

Marcus had some good runs and good blocks. I am excited for him!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The DL is legitmate. Its been 7-8 years since we could say that but its legitimate. However still not enamored with edge pressure although against our O its so hard to pin your ears back

I thought allen looked good for the little time in role.

I thought if JT kept playing we would have scored 50

I liked what we saw from that little AB. Can't remember his name off the top. I think he was a walkon. He looked good.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The DL is legitmate. Its been 7-8 years since we could say that but its legitimate. However still not enamored with edge pressure although against our O its so hard to pin your ears back

I thought allen looked good for the little time in role.

I thought if JT kept playing we would have scored 50

I liked what we saw from that little AB. Can't remember his name off the top. I think he was a walkon. He looked good.
Isaiah Willis

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Marcus is legit. He got hurt early in the second half when tackled from behind. He got up and walked gingerly back to the huddle. He stayed in there and kept carrying the ball hard up the middle. He is strong enough now and will only get stronger and better. I think he has found his spot.

I am going to copy my other comments from an earlier post so I have everything in one spot:

Some other guys that caught my eye where Byerly (he is got to be the best back up QB in America can run and throw), Erin Joe and Trey Klock did well at Tackle, Brigham did well at Center, Lynch and Searcy showed some ability. The first team offense out played the first team defense which suprised me based of the feedback coming out of camp. It was a good thing JT saw limited reps and was down by finger contact or the score would have been much higher for the White team. JT is a superstar type player and if he stays healthy will be a Heisman candidate for sure.

On the defensive side I thought Kallon and Gamble showed up in additon to Days. The linebackers looked deep even though we had some of our best on the sideline, Harrell, Lewis, Jackson and Alford all made plays. The defensive ends looked strong, Freeman, Whitehead, Merriweather and Simmons all were showing up out there. The secondary seemed a bit off last night. Their coverage was spotty and their tackling was not stellar. I think Coach Speed and Coach Roof will have some good tape to work with the corners and safeties ths off season.

I thought it was a very positive night for the program. Fairly good fan participation considering the rain. A lot of recruits in attendance and the team showed up and played hard. The most pleasent surprise for me was Marcus Allen, he ran like the older Marcus Allen last night. I think the offense took a little of the p and vinegar out of the defense and they probably needed a little humbling based on what I had been hearing. The Offensive line has enough players when everyone is well to be very good, both our QB's are fabulous, our receivers are getting open and catching a majority of the passes and we have enough running backs to move the ball well. I think the Defensive line will be better, especially if Jabari makes it. Our linebackers will be tough and deep, and our secondary can be good if they communicate better and play with some grit.

There is no reason we should not have another very good season in 2015.

Go Jackets!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Jordan needs to just get rid of the ball. He wasn't helped by the OL at all, but he can help himself by just slinging it.
He's a fast guy and he's gained some weight since he got here, so he can be a threat when he makes the right reads. He's a work in progress but in my mind he's going to be a good QB for us.

I like that Searcy was able to make himself a solid part of the rotation. Wiry kid but with nice acceleration and some toughness to him.

I'm obviously happy about JHD and Allen. Kallon looked good to me too.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice write up by the OP.
I watched the replay on Espn watch.
Regarding Allen, I think the kid has enough talent however his demeanor on the field concerns me a little. IMO the whole football thing just looks like a chore to him. I don't see a kid having a lot of fun out there. He is in a position to take the B back job by the horns and be fired up and I just don't see that. Hopefully it's just a case of feeling his way at that position.
Keep in mind this is a spring game with maybe 4,000 in attendance. Not sure how jacked and and emotional you are supposed to be for a good play in that environment. I mean it's not as if you just scored a TD on UGAg.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the replay now sober. Can't say enough good things about Marcus Allen. Was really excited when we signed him. Even though I hated his cousins, can't argue that they were some helluva athletes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Started out at B back moved to LB moved to receiver (receiver for heavens sake) now back to B back. Who doesn't believe that moving him to receiver was intended to send him a message. He's not a receiver.
I focused on him because I knew he had talent and I also gleaned that CPJ wanted more from him. What I took away from the scrimmage is what it is.

Do you also read tea leaves? Cause Id love to have my fortune told.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Isaiah Willis
I'll take little walkon A-backs any day. :)

Question about timing, mesh, chemistry etc.: between now and summer/fall camp, can the guys get together and work on stuff on their own? Does the NCAA limit that? Can they use the training facilities/fields to work together on stuff on their own?