Observations

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Crowd was pretty good considering the light rain (A lot dryer than last year!) and the nasty traffic getting to campus ( at least from then northwest side side of down.

Enjoyed watching the team play. Was less concerned with some of the details per se and basically watched various positions on any given play instead of just following the ball.

As has been mentioned, the Gold offense seemed to be at a disadvantage due to limited availability of linemen.

White Defense looked pretty good despite giving up 3 TDs.

Getting JHD on the field this season will be a big deal.

Punting had some shanks and bobbled catches. Don't know if it was a "mental" thing because it was the end of spring training or a talent issue. Hopefully just a lack of focus that can be remedied.

Kids in attendance were a little flustered that firework show didn't take place after the game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some other guys that caught my eye where Byerly (he is got to be the best back up QB in America can run and throw),

There is no reason we should not have another very good season in 2015.

Go Jackets!

I think Byerly is a great option at #2 and I would love to see him in our goal line packages more but as far as best backup QB, Ohio State has 2 great ones themselves.

agree with your last point. Need to avoid the injury bug in the fall, spring has not been kind in this regard.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Does the NCAA not have the same rules about numbers like the nfl does?
Jabari wont be playing DT this year. He'll actually be playing safety, but he will line up on the middle of the line and blitz every play.
I guess my point is that it doesn't make any sense to regulate numbers on the defensive side of the ball. Its like limiting defensive shifts in baseball. There can't be a rule defining strategy. What if Roof wanted to run Kagawa, Smith, Johnson, Marvin, Golden, White, Milton, Austin2x, Durham, and Griffin out there? NCAA can't say no to that, and defining numbers would interfere with that, and open a whole can of worms.

Uh, so ya, that's my opinion. I know you wanted it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Actually wants to go lower.
Looking to go to single digits? That's one way to stand out. I think Vic Beasley was single digits, same with Marvin Austin at UNC a few years ago. If you're doing that you better be damn good because your number is going to draw a lot of eyes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I had a class with him in the fall and that is just his personality. Very quiet kid who goes about his business and doesn't say a word. Not a kid you expect to trash talk or have that burning competitive fire. But still a kid who works hard everyday and will compete. That's just his personality. It's not that he isn't excited, he just seems introverted to me.
Someone else familiar with him says he is a super guy who will do anything the coach asks of him.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watched replay again and I am no longer worried about this team. I think CPJ has it under control with our running backs. I think summer workouts and fall practice will fine tune our WRs.

I have not added up the yards exactly but I believe Marcus Allen was a statistical leader in rushing yards and yards per catch. At any rate he was at or near the top in all skill position statistical categories.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Several players had impressive performances in the Spring Game but 3 stood out to me because they had previously been under the radar for being a major contributor in the 2015 season:
Marcus Allen-an obvious choice. The whole BB situation will be decided in the Fall practices and Marcus is in the mix
Jalen Johnson- CPJ had commented about him having a good spring and he really looked good in the game. Very aggressive and physical.
Terrell Lewis-physical and quick and really brought the heat on several plays. I can see why he was selected for special teams as a freshman.

All three of these players not only played well but physically look the part. I was previously not looking at these players for a major contribution in 2015 but now I am. There were many other good performances but were more or less expected. These three were a pleasant surprise. I could see Shaun Kagawa as honorable mention in this regard as well.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes a coach will move a player to a position that does not make sense to wake them up, to motivate them, to tell them "hey you have been here long enough to show us something but as of now you have failed to do so". I think that is what was going on with Marcus. I think for whatever reason, it worked this time. I had all but written him off as a wasted scholarship. Glad I once again wrong.

Go Jackets!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
No I can't.
Can anyone tell me why he was moved to WR when we all know he would never see the field at that position

If you think back to the start of last year we had lost Autry, and Waller was one more screw up away from being dismissed from the team. I think there was little depth at that position, so it was probably his best chance to see the field.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
They were just trying to find a place to get Marcus on the field...nothing wrong with that. I wanted him at B back but I understand moving him around.

Declinometer

Banned
They were just trying to find a place to get Marcus on the field...nothing wrong with that. I wanted him at B back but I understand moving him around.
He was NEVER going to see the field at WR. CPJ was trying to get his attention. Let's be honest.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
He was NEVER going to see the field at WR. CPJ was trying to get his attention. Let's be honest.

Just because that's your opinion doesn't mean it's right..why was CPJ trying to get his attention? Its not like he wasn't playing hard at LB.

You don't know that he wouldn't have ever seen the field at WR...they are looking for more help at WR as we need more depth...We have Jeune and Summers who we feel are ready...after that we need help...Worth a gamble.