Observations

Declinometer

Banned
Just because that's your opinion doesn't mean it's right..why was CPJ trying to get his attention? Its not like he wasn't playing hard at LB.

You don't know that he wouldn't have never seen the field at WR...they are looking for more help at WR as we need more depth...We have Jeune and Summers who we feel are ready...after that we need help.

That was my original question. Why was he trying to get his attention? All I can tell you is that when he was asked, in an early spring practice interview, where MA was playing CPJ appeared extremely aggravated when he stated that he was being moved to WR. I'll try to find the clip and post. By the way, all of you opinions are not right either.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That was my original question. Why was he trying to get his attention? All I can tell you is that when he was asked, in an early spring practice interview, where MA was playing CPJ appeared extremely aggravated when he stated that he was being moved to WR. I'll try to find the clip and post. By the way, all of you opinions are not right either.

Never said mine were...just saying why they tried Marcus at WR.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Read Matt winklejohn's article on the spring game and you'll understand. basically Marcus Allen only started playing football very recently.

Re

Declinometer

Banned

Form you own opinions. MY opinion is that he seems to have some sort of issue with MA. I believe the reporters present sensed the same thing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes a coach will move a player to a position that does not make sense to wake them up, to motivate them, to tell them "hey you have been here long enough to show us something but as of now you have failed to do so". I think that is what was going on with Marcus. I think for whatever reason, it worked this time. I had all but written him off as a wasted scholarship. Glad I once again wrong.

Go Jackets!
There is also a numbers issue with efficient practice. Group sizes need to stay reasonably aligned with coaching and facility resources and your "drill" plan. For example when I was coaching the O backfield group I needed 3 fullbacks to rotate: one to run plays, one to snap the ball (center working with the OL), and one resting. Every coach has his preference on how he wants to do things. I wanted 3 fullbacks for practice.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Form you own opinions. MY opinion is that he seems to have some sort of issue with MA. I believe the reporters present sensed the same thing.

Fwiw, I took it as a typical CPJ response where what you hear in the voice reflects his attitude toward the question not the person being asked about.

His actual words, if I heard correctly, were that he was moved to WR last fall, (maybe when Qua moved to A-Back?), and that they were going to give him a chance to play. Just an opinion.

Declinometer

Banned
Fwiw, I took it as a typical CPJ response where what you hear in the voice reflects his attitude toward the question not the person being asked about.

His actual words, if I heard correctly, were that he was moved to WR last fall, (maybe when Qua moved to A-Back?), and that they were going to give him a chance to play. Just an opinion.
Yea I guess. Kind of a reach though. Of course it's just an opinion

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Glad I once again wrong.
Funny how often this happens. Not just with you but most fans in general. CPJ brings someone in and they seem to just disappear and we think they were a wash out. Then suddenly they seem to come out of nowhere to save the day. I have lost count with how many times this has happened and it seems to be happening again this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know the clip you are talking about. CPJ has a kind of an exasperated smirk on his face as he says something like, "we are just trying to find some place where he can play." It did not sound encouraging.

On the other hand, the other talk that has gone on about him is that he has a great attitude and does whatever the coaches ask him to do.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Not that it matters, but...JJ Green can't dress this year and he's an offensive guy. This is JHD's last year and he plays on defense. He could be #9. Then again, he could be #5, too. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

You're right...we could do both of those.

But CPJ sticks to one scholarship player per number...doesn't mean it couldn't happen though!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just because that's your opinion doesn't mean it's right..why was CPJ trying to get his attention? Its not like he wasn't playing hard at LB.

You don't know that he wouldn't have ever seen the field at WR...they are looking for more help at WR as we need more depth...We have Jeune and Summers who we feel are ready...after that we need help...Worth a gamble.

The bolded question was a question to you Declonimeter...as in why are you so convinced Declin, that coach was or had been trying to get his attention? Pretty sure coach works to keep all the players attention. I personally think coach is direct enough to let players know his expectations without need of moving them to do so. He's kind of a direct sorta guy if you hadn't noticed. You really garnering all of this from a tiny snippet of an interview??

Yea I guess. Kind of a reach though. Of course it's just an opinion

Here's another opinion....your entire take on MA is a reach....an uninformed one at that.

Declinometer

Banned
Why would he move him to WR, a position he has never played and has talented guys already there, if he weren't trying to get his attention? By moving him there and his "whatever" attitude regarding MA during the after practice conference, there is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to get his attention. Why is what I would like to know?Again, IMO, he didn't look like a player that was enjoying himself at the scrimmage. Time will tell. I believe he is talented but what is between the ears is equally important.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
On Allen-- what a story.I was never that impressed with him but the guy looked like a natural out there.I think he may have taken some def players by surprise.If so,SHAME on them.He's been there. He may be the main man next yr once he gets more exp/reps --which remember is more than almost anybody else.

The Centers need to get some kudos..For new guys there were few obvious errors.

I was not impressed with the first DBs last nite too much or general tackling by the LBs /DBs..They were not playing the Broncos offense .. .DJ gets penalty.Golden must have missed 3 tackles. Missed PJ.
otoh--Now Jalen Johnson flashed some ability. I would love to have 200 lb r-Fr /soph? good enough to start soon

I now think the difference between a good and very good season BESIDES INJURIES is -
1.If JHD is back--we will actually have a inside DL and a much stronger def
2.WR--we have GOT to have dependable downfield threats--With as few passes as we throw the type of miss with Messick is a killer

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
No I can't.
Can anyone tell me why he was moved to WR when we all know he would never see the field at that position
I'm not sure how you can say he would never see the field at WR.

First, we know CPJ likes big physical WR's who can block. Check.
Second, it appears he can catch the ball. I don't know the official stats but he caught a ton of balls on Friday night and piled up the receiving yardage.
Maybe CPJ was on to something with him at WR and now he's going back to B-back due to the injury situation.