North Carolina Postgame

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My take away from this game:
- UNC is a good football team and validated their performance against Clemson.
- I finally saw a breath of life last week in our offense and continued growth yesterday.
- Our defense got worn down in 2nd half against a talented and well balanced offense.
Personally, I cannot understand all the negative posts (excepting Citadel) when we continue to show improvement week to week in this rebuild year. We finally look like a team that may have a chance against Duke next week. Go jackets!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
UNC is not a good football team they may have good coaches they may be good in 2 years. They are better than us but so was Citadel. Every game the rest of the year we will be picked to lose, sucks but it's the facts. Can we get better I hope so but right now teams are looking at us and laughing like we did with Louisville last year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What you are seeing is a reaction of the "wait and see" crowd to the koolaid drinkers after eight month of being told we were full of :poop: and just hated CGC.

I was a wait and see guy and still am. But I am waving a white flag here bro. Your point has been made....trust me.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Who knows?

Pruitt at Tennessee famously declared he knows how to play SEC ball and would not dumb down to fit the players. Rather, he would recruit and develop players to fit the plan.

He took hell for it.

For the first time in two years, UT looked like it could play yesterday. He might be on to something.

Geoff might be the same. Who knows what Tech will look like after we get a new OL. I’m optimistic. But it’s a total rebuild.

I am optimistic that as we become more 'stout' on both lines of scrimmage through recruiting, we will see improvements. Watching the UT game also, it was noticeable how the ga Oline imposed their will late in that game, a statement to having large, athletic lineman. The opportunity to play right away will appeal to many young lineman. I understand the messaging about playing a 'pro style' offense and its potential appeal to recruits.

I believe there are enough quality players in GA and the surrounding states that can also qualify for entrance into Tech that will consider what CGC is attempting to do here.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think we will be a pretty good team... Next year. This game clearly showed the deficiencies on both lines making all the difference.

Trying to make up for it on D by blitzing is great if you get pressure. But disastrous if you don't. I think we should pull back on the blitz. Make havoc by rolling coverages in the secondary so the QB makes the wrong reads or hesitates to release the ball into coverage. Press man can be great, but it doesn't take any effort for the QB to read, just a good throw, so you're not going to rattle a QB with tight man unless a LB is bracketing from underneath or a safety is in position to close in and make a play on the ball or the QB is affected by a collapsing pocket. We can do the coverage things. If we bluff coverages from time to time, not just to send a blitz but instead to either force the wrong throw or cause hesitation, we'll be a lot more successful.

We should ditch the zone read. We just can't hold our blocks up front long enough to allow time to make the right read with how adept defenses are at it, and when it's made the whole is just gone. Clearly we got guys who can rip yards in chunks when the opportunity is there. Unfortunately not house calls. I like letting Graham sling it and have the option to sprint out if it's not there. Can really hit that edge very well, a lot like Justin Thomas, but he's not well suited for the inside stuff or eluding guys until he's built up a little speed.

Scubapro

Banned
I think we will be a pretty good team... Next year. This game clearly showed the deficiencies on both lines making all the difference.

Trying to make up for it on D by blitzing is great if you get pressure. But disastrous if you don't. I think we should pull back on the blitz. Make havoc by rolling coverages in the secondary so the QB makes the wrong reads or hesitates to release the ball into coverage. Press man can be great, but it doesn't take any effort for the QB to read, just a good throw, so you're not going to rattle a QB with tight man unless a LB is bracketing from underneath or a safety is in position to close in and make a play on the ball or the QB is affected by a collapsing pocket. We can do the coverage things. If we bluff coverages from time to time, not just to send a blitz but instead to either force the wrong throw or cause hesitation, we'll be a lot more successful.

We should ditch the zone read. We just can't hold our blocks up front long enough to allow time to make the right read with how adept defenses are at it, and when it's made the whole is just gone. Clearly we got guys who can rip yards in chunks when the opportunity is there. Unfortunately not house calls. I like letting Graham sling it and have the option to sprint out if it's not there. Can really hit that edge very well, a lot like Justin Thomas, but he's not well suited for the inside stuff or eluding guys until he's built up a little speed.
Using Graham on roll outs was one of the few bright spots in the game.

Deleted member 2897

That kind of reads like "if I say it loud enough and often enough I will believe it." Maybe he will recruit better. But now it is 2021 before he can prove it? And if this is our "new" scheme, may the saints preserve us. And I ain't even Irish.

Have you seen our current recruiting class? It’s the best in the last decade, by far, and it’s not over yet.

10 of our opponents next year were ranked last year. If CPJ we’re still here, I’d say it would be a great result to win 6 games next year. IIWII.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen our current recruiting class? It’s the best in the last decade, by far, and it’s not over yet.

10 of our opponents next year were ranked last year. If CPJ we’re still here, I’d say it would be a great result to win 6 games next year. IIWII.
Lets wait till they sign a few were here yesterday and they could ……….. lets just wait.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@4shotB Let’s use Citadel as the pivot point of the CGC era. Do we not think we got better from Citadel to Temple and then Temple to UNC? We all want results, but are we not seeing positive change coming the last 2 weeks?

I do wish we’d stop the shenanigans on the sideline.

I thought yesterday (and game to game too) was a noticeable step up in every facet of the game. Yesterday's game was decided on the LOS (as most are) where they had a noticeable advantage. I do think adjustments are being made as needed. If we play UNC 10 times, we win 1 but it would be a case of them needing to help with a bunch of turnovers. Without that, they win 10 of 10.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@4shotB

I do wish we’d stop the shenanigans on the sideline.

I didn't notice them but I was watching at home. If they were there, and I trust that they were based on what you have said, then I have to agree that I don't like them either. But that is far down the list for me of things to fret over.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My biggest downer yesterday was before the game even started and has been a season long trend. I expected way more butts in the seats for USF and yesterday.

I’m not sure what actual attendance was but 30k would probably be generous. Cannot next good for merchandizing, concessions, parking revenue, etc. I would think this does not bode well for next year season ticket sales. Thank God we got Mercedes locked in.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thought yesterday (and game to game too) was a noticeable step up in every facet of the game. Yesterday's game was decided on the LOS (as most are) where they had a noticeable advantage. I do think adjustments are being made as needed. If we play UNC 10 times, we win 1 but it would be a case of them needing to help with a bunch of turnovers. Without that, they win 10 of 10.
How was the defense a step up ? 11 of 19 third down they got a first down and some looked like when Roof was here 3rd and long.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All this game, and other recent games, have proven is that you won't win many football games if you are losing the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

UNC's OL outweighed our DL by over 40 pounds per man. You can overcome that with quickness and execution....sometimes. But they were able to road grade us when they needed to, and that wore us down.

Our OL is simply a patchwork of (forgive me) not so talented guys right now. Too many injuries on that side of the ball, and too many guys who came here to be small quick O linemen for the 3O....which means they have trouble pass blocking some of the 300 lb DL that UNC puts on the field.

I can't judge our LB's (@Ibeeballin , looking for help here) but it seems clear to me we just are getting beat up front on both sides of the line. Football is still about blocking and tackling.

I don't think our skill guys are all that bad, or below the standard of other teams, but we desperately need big uglies on both sides.

We'll see what the next year brings.....

...in the meantime, we'll have a ton of losses, but as long as I see some improvement I'll keep watching and rootin'

herb

Helluva Engineer
My biggest downer yesterday was before the game even started and has been a season long trend. I expected way more butts in the seats for USF and yesterday.

I’m not sure what actual attendance was but 30k would probably be generous. Cannot next good for merchandizing, concessions, parking revenue, etc. I would think this does not bode well for next year season ticket sales. Thank God we got Mercedes locked in.

Some of our own fans make it very difficult to enjoy the game when you do go. We have some real a$$holes who attend the game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How was the defense a step up ? 11 of 19 third down they got a first down and some looked like when Roof was here 3rd and long.

Stech...I believe that our D problems especially yesterday come almost entirely from what takes place on the LOS. Their OL dominated the game. Coaching can't (imo) compensate for that much of a talent gap. If you want to dredge up the Citadel game, then maybe you have a point. We aren't beating UNC with Vince Lombardi or Bill Belicheck on our sideline. Talent gap where it matters most is too wide. Just my $.02.