North Carolina Postgame

herb

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. It’s already painful enough to show up and watch us get beat, but then I have to sit around people who act like my 6 year old daughter having fun is annoying them.

And heaven forbid you stand and cheer for the team, omg the world may end

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
In re-watching the game it seems like yesterday was a tale of the terrible, no good, very bad 2nd quarter.

Going into the quarter UNC was only up by 3 and GT missed an opportunity to score a TD right after the interception in the 1st that could have had us up 7-3 but alas. But the D held UNC early in the 2nd and forced them to punt.

Good guys get the ball again and are driving down the field a bit. Get 2 first downs through the air. And then Graham throws the INT. UNC has good field position drives down the field and goes up 10-0.

Tech gets the ball back and on 1st down they have the weird miscommunication with motion where Brown almost got hit by the snap then Graham fumbled it and scooped it up to get a yard or 2. That drive ended with Graham running out of bounds for 2 yards on 3rd and 6 when he maybe could have fought for that 6 to get the 1st. Tech punts it back to UNC.

And then you know what Tech does. Holds UNC to a 3-and-out. And on that 3rd down it was very nearly intercepted. Tipped by 2 defenders. UNC punts.

Tech gets the ball back and has success running it with Howard for 9 yds and then Mason for 12.
giphy.gif

1st & 10 and Graham keeps it and takes a loss of a yard. Per Roddy, "That's a give read all day".

2nd & 11 UNC jumps offsides but we don't snap it and take advantage. Instead it's a throw to Carter who catches it but lands out of bounds.
3rd & 11 and Graham is sacked for an 8 yard loss. He was wrapped up about 2 seconds after the snap by someone who flew in untouched.
Punt.

UNC gets the ball and scores. A lot of their yardage came on a screen that Glanton almost got a hand on. And the TD was just a great throw to their big receiver.

And that's half. 17-0.

Throw one less interception on our side and make a play on one of their throws and that's a different quarter. Different game. As others have pointed out we "won" the second half and really through the 1st quarter it was only 3-0. Just gotta hit on more of the missed opportunities and make fewer mistakes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My biggest downer yesterday was before the game even started and has been a season long trend. I expected way more butts in the seats for USF and yesterday.

I’m not sure what actual attendance was but 30k would probably be generous. Cannot next good for merchandizing, concessions, parking revenue, etc. I would think this does not bode well for next year season ticket sales. Thank God we got Mercedes locked in.

I noticed more STH’s than before. Most attributed it to the heat and they were glad to be there.

The game vibe isn’t as exciting to me. It’s kind of matter of fact from the tunnel onto the field. Auburn, Ole Miss and UT are better at this. Not sure why we changed it but whatever.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Stech...I believe that our D problems especially yesterday come almost entirely from what takes place on the LOS. Their OL dominated the game. Coaching can't (imo) compensate for that much of a talent gap. If you want to dredge up the Citadel game, then maybe you have a point. We aren't beating UNC with Vince Lombardi or Bill Belicheck on our sideline. Talent gap where it matters most is too wide. Just my $.02.
Can't disagree but it didn't help that the defense played what 100 plays to our 40 something on offense? Yes as dumb as it sounds I blame P'nut for not slowing the game down to let the defense time to rest

LibertyTurns

Banned
Some of our own fans make it very difficult to enjoy the game when you do go. We have some real a$$holes who attend the game.
Totally agree. It’s already painful enough to show up and watch us get beat, but then I have to sit around people who act like my 6 year old daughter having fun is annoying them.
Some general fan observations from this season:
Of a block of about 200 seats near me we’d have around 160 on an average game day last several seasons. This year was about 120 for USF, I’ll be generous and say 80 for Citadel and I counted yesterday- 100. I’m in the middle of a row and there was one guy with 2 UNC buddies at one end, 2 of the normally 6 to my right.

The energy in the stadium has been like a flat tire. Yesterday when we drove down to make it 24-15 we got some cheering, but people sit right back down. We KO and get them on the 13. Hey we got a chance, little excitement in the fans still there. 2 plays later (10yd pass and 30yd run plus 15yd penalty) back to the flat tire.

I really don’t have an answer because I thought after the spring game we’d have more enthusiasm. Only thing I can figure is GT better figure something out quickly because this business model of trying to compete by spending money does not work without fans or some large gracious donors that are willing to fund football each year. If it were up to me I’d work the gameday experience first.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Of a block of about 200 seats near me we’d have around 160 on an average game day last several seasons. This year was about 120 for USF, I’ll be generous and say 80 for Citadel and I counted yesterday- 100. I’m in the middle of a row and there was one guy with 2 UNC buddies at one end, 2 of the normally 6 to my right.

The energy in the stadium has been like a flat tire. Yesterday when we drove down to make it 24-15 we got some cheering, but people sit right back down. We KO and get them on the 13. Hey we got a chance, little excitement in the fans still there. 2 plays later (10yd pass and 30yd run plus 15yd penalty) back to the flat tire.

I really don’t have an answer because I thought after the spring game we’d have more enthusiasm. Only thing I can figure is GT better figure something out quickly because this business model of trying to compete by spending money does not work without fans or some large gracious donors that are willing to fund football each year. If it were up to me I’d work the gameday experience first.

I think this is where marketing crashes into reality.

The Gameday atmosphere will ultimately be influenced by expectations. Yesterday the defense couldn’t get off the field so I think fans expected us to give up the first downs in clutch moments

Overall CGCs is telling us everyday that this is a massive transition. He is basically saying don’t expect much this year. Those of us who did and do are told we don’t understand why it can’t happen now. We don’t have the right players is a byline that should be on the program ( the way some people act ).

There is no way fans will drive to ATL spend 100 bucks each and then watch a product they are told they shouldn’t expect more from.

Can’t tell everyone we are gonna be elite AS you are telling them you don’t expect too much, the attention span of the avg person stops after the question what’s the record.

Last edited:
It isn't just the wins and losses. After getting beat by the Citadel, we have been butt stomped in 2 consecutive games. We were not even competitive. With what we know is left on the schedule it looks like UGA will roll into Grant field to face a 1-10 Tech team. The 55,000 capacity stadium will be filled with 35,000 red clad UGA fans and the final score well maybe Kirby will be kind and keep it below 60 points.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow

I think you're negative outlook is clouding your judgement a little bit. We had over 45K in paid attendance yesterday. I thought it was a good crowd.

Last year, we had 37K in paid attendance vs UVA. That was with a perfect kickoff time and us entering the game winning 5 of the previous 6.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
After the game, Mack was complaining about receivers dropping balls. They could have rung up at least a touchdown more on us. In the third quarter it was still respectable until UNC converted a third and ten and a fourth and long. Too much to overcome. We need to keep games in the twenties to have a chance to win and at least a 2 to 1 advantage in turnovers. Number 70 needs to move to Spain and try being a matador. He already has the moves.
Dropped balls, missed opportunities.....The same could be said for our team

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
My take away from this game:
- UNC is a good football team and validated their performance against Clemson.
- I finally saw a breath of life last week in our offense and continued growth yesterday.
- Our defense got worn down in 2nd half against a talented and well balanced offense.
Personally, I cannot understand all the negative posts (excepting Citadel) when we continue to show improvement week to week in this rebuild year. We finally look like a team that may have a chance against Duke next week. Go jackets!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

The negative post are coming from expectations of lay fans who really only understand visible results. While I acknowledge being one of those I feel I have enough knowledge to ask about or observe basic football concepts.

The football concept that had/has bothered me the most is pick a QB, if we are rebuilding then let the QB be part of the rebuild. The offense has began to show life because Graham is being allowed to stay in long enough to learn.

The negative post are coming from expectations of lay fans who really only understand visible results. While I acknowledge being one of those I feel I have enough knowledge to ask about or observe basic football concepts.

The football concept that had/has bothered me the most is pick a QB, if we are rebuilding then let the QB be part of the rebuild. The offense has began to show life because Graham is being allowed to stay in long enough to learn.

Agreed but to that extent why do you do things on offense that play to your weakness. Our two best drives came as a result of strong running plays. One by Mason and one by Howard. They only had a total of 11 carries yesterday. It is our coaches fear that if we start to run the ball we will look like Tech from the past 11 years. Therefore we are pass happy, trying to go drop back when we cant pass protect. When you can't pass protect you run the ball and then work your passing through play action. At least that is what good coaches do.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There are some lapses going on with the staff at least once a game. I guess they have their hands full coaching.

Last week they seemed unaware that Brown caught the deep pass on the sideline and punted w/o stalling for a replay. Today they did the opposite. They really took a long time to snap the ball after Graham MAY have fumbled, it didn’t hurt them but I kept waiting for the replay to happen and rule it a fumble.
Same, when they stopped and looked to the sideline i almost lost my mind

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

How does dook make it work, basketball revenue? I watched their game last night and there were maybe 20k there, pathetic turnout for a home night game and a decent team

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think you're negative outlook is clouding your judgement a little bit. We had over 45K in paid attendance yesterday. I thought it was a good crowd.

Last year, we had 37K in paid attendance vs UVA. That was with a perfect kickoff time and us entering the game winning 5 of the previous 6.

The attendance numbers are tickets sold, not people in the stadium. The stadium was nowhere near 80% full. (45k out of 55k) The upper East and upper West were half full. The upper North had to have been less than half full. The lower Wests and lower East may have been 80% full.