North Carolina Postgame

LibertyTurns

Banned
As someone who was at both games, there were more people at this game than citadel.
Absolutely, but my point is strategically GT has decided to enter the arms race. A key revenue stream is media where the ACCN helps a lot, then you have the Mercedes game, but at the end of the day in order to have a viable program you need butts in the seats. We spent the whole off season generating excitement around the program. I’m not seeing it with regrads to attendance & what I’m trying to say is we need to look at what we’re doing because the expectation (there I go using that word again) was increased attendance. In my opinion it has been lackluster compared to what we thought we’d get. Citadel is FCS, during the day, in the late summer & like any other it was going to be light. However, USF was a credible level opponent, the first game of a new “culture” and it was disappointing. Fast forward to UNC, first conference game & we get the vaunted non-noon bake in the sun start. Weather was beautiful. 35k show up is not what we need. With the rate we’re belching money, the $500k-$1M per game we’re undershooting is going to be impactful.

Deleted member 2897

We actually thought we would win that game and the optimism was still there. Now, however...

I’m actually still optimistic. JG was not QB1 all spring and summer, so he didn’t get to spend a lot of time with the 1s and preparing that way. Now he’s finally learning on the job. He’s making freshman mistakes, but so are our coaches. When you don’t have good protection but a mobile QB, it’s always good to roll him out. We finally started doing that, but still not enough. We’re still calling plays that they know he struggles with. I think they’ll all get better.

JG is no Peyton Manning, but remember Peyton’s first year he threw almost 30 interceptions (!) and they went 3-13. But they got better and better and won like 3 of their last 5. The next year they went 13-3.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m actually still optimistic. JG was not QB1 all spring and summer, so he didn’t get to spend a lot of time with the 1s and preparing that way. Now he’s finally learning on the job. He’s making freshman mistakes, but so are our coaches. When you don’t have good protection but a mobile QB, it’s always good to roll him out. We finally started doing that, but still not enough. We’re still calling plays that they know he struggles with. I think they’ll all get better.

JG is no Peyton Manning, but remember Peyton’s first year he threw almost 30 interceptions (!) and they went 3-13. But they got better and better and won like 3 of their last 5. The next year they went 13-3.
Peyton threw 30 INTs his entire career at UT - or do you mean his first season with the Colts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning#College_statistics

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok first, we didn't have one of the toughest offenses in the nation. Not even close. We went 7-6 last year and 5-6 the year before. We padded our stats on team that we played that didn't take the time to prepare for the 3o.
Last year we had 19 points against Pitt. 21 points against Clemson, 14 points against Duke, 21 points against UGA, 10 points against Minn.

The one thing that stood out to me Saturday was the difference in talent level of the two teams. Hopefully and it looks good right now, we change that in the future. Only time will tell.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok first, we didn't have one of the toughest offenses in the nation. Not even close. We went 7-6 last year and 5-6 the year before. We padded our stats on team that we played that didn't take the time to prepare for the 3o.
Last year we had 19 points against Pitt. 21 points against Clemson, 14 points against Duke, 21 points against UGA, 10 points against Minn.

The one thing that stood out to me Saturday was the difference in talent level of the two teams. Hopefully and it looks good right now, we change that in the future. Only time will tell.

It is worth repeating....if you can't block, no matter what the root cause, the name of the scheme being run or the name of the person standing on the sideline is of minor importance. I think most rational posters understand this. Others can't or won't accept this simple truth.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I only read the first page and this page, it seems like a lot of negativity which is remarkable to me.
This year is a wash, we are in a major transition, we are looking for progress and improvement, there is slim chance we are going to go on a run winning 4-5 IAR.
JG got the start, played most of the game, we scored three offensive TD's and a two-point conversion.
We got pushed around in the trenches, but we all knew that was going to be a part of it ...

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been...how many years since we had WRs catch 7 passes in a game? Might they be the next Campbell/White/Watkins combo? And Graham rhymes with JoeHam!