North Carolina Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Oh, those two defenses that gave up 42 and 35 points today?

UNC’s Def held Clemson to 21, the ACC is a circle of suck, anybody can win any game

I am afraid that Virginia Tech has found themselves a quarterback. Miami's fans are ready to fire Manny, the DC, the OC, the line coaches, the AD, the water boys, everybody in sight.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Ballin, w/o watching the film what your impression of the 3rd down conversions ?

Was it all in the lack of pass rush or did you see a problem elsewhere ?

I was at the game and will also be interested in the number of times we blitzed on 3rd/4th down and still got no pressure. Seemed like we brought pressure quite often.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Offense caught a little spark but that last TD was against their backups
This game was never in doubt after halftime, and I think unc knew that
Howell is good but he did miss some throws. This could have been worse. A lot worse.

I still think we have some decent skill people
I wonder how well we’re using them

After the game, Mack was complaining about receivers dropping balls. They could have rung up at least a touchdown more on us. In the third quarter it was still respectable until UNC converted a third and ten and a fourth and long. Too much to overcome. We need to keep games in the twenties to have a chance to win and at least a 2 to 1 advantage in turnovers. Number 70 needs to move to Spain and try being a matador. He already has the moves.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it was another week of offensive improvement, a few plays where effort may have been an issue with a WR but with that said it’s the defense that’s struggled the last two games. Our pass defense isn’t as good as I thought it would be.

Question to the board.

What is or was the issue with the pass defense ?

I feel like the issue is at LB. I mean I do understand that we have to have a pass rush but today on the 3rd and longs I’m not sure the LBs were dropping deep enough. I’m also not sure our corners are as good as advertised. Or is it the man defense on long 3rd downs ?

Can Thacker please insist that the corners blow up the edge blocking rather than trying to hand fight through it, on running plays ? One CB is always pushed downfield 10 yards as he hand fights with the blocker. Teams are running to the edge and our CBs could blow the blocking up if they came hard ( just my impression).

Their receivers are very good, the best we have seen since Clemson. Their offensive line is prototype for that offense. Huge guys with long arms and quick feet. It was difficult to get pressure on the quarterback which is why they were able to convert a bunch of third and long plays. They damn near had 600 yards total offense but really should have had more points. They are already yapping that the Coastal Division is theirs for the taking and relish a rematch.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Another aspect was that the defensive backfield seems confused at times on coverage. UNC had a 4 wide receiver set that seemed to confuse coverage. And there was soft coverage on the backside that UNC exploited. Again, that is just from watching from the stands.

Not just coverage. We misaligned twice which cost us a TD on one and a key 1st down on the other. On the TD play a player was calling for a time out before the play (he did not get it) as he saw we were not aligned sufficiently. Where were the coaches on this play?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Their receivers are very good, the best we have seen since Clemson. Their offensive line is prototype for that offense. Huge guys with long arms and quick feet. It was difficult to get pressure on the quarterback which is why they were able to convert a bunch of third and long plays. They damn near had 600 yards total offense but really should have had more points. They are already yapping that the Coastal Division is theirs for the taking and relish a rematch.

They may be correct

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
My best guess is in year 3 we will have a 500 or better record, but it will be painful until then. We desperately need DL recruits, but this is nothing new. The OL will gradually improve. With all that said, still not sure whether we are winning big come year 4 or 5. We will have to wait and see.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Not just coverage. We misaligned twice which cost us a TD on one and a key 1st down on the other. On the TD play a player was calling for a time out before the play (he did not get it) as he saw we were not aligned sufficiently. Where were the coaches on this play?

There are some lapses going on with the staff at least once a game. I guess they have their hands full coaching.

Last week they seemed unaware that Brown caught the deep pass on the sideline and punted w/o stalling for a replay. Today they did the opposite. They really took a long time to snap the ball after Graham MAY have fumbled, it didn’t hurt them but I kept waiting for the replay to happen and rule it a fumble.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My best guess is in year 3 we will have a 500 or better record, but it will be painful until then. We desperately need DL recruits, but this is nothing new. The OL will gradually improve. With all that said, still not sure whether we are winning big come year 4 or 5. We will have to wait and see.

It will be at least two years, possibly three before the fruits of improved recruiting began to take effect throughout the lineup. IIWII

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course it is the foundation and usually it works but there have been teams that recruited exceptionally well but could not overcome poor coaching, bad luck, ridiculously difficult scheduling, lack of support from the administration, injuries, and multiple recruiting busts or some combination thereof.

And there have been great coaches who had terrible teams for the same reason. But great teams that have poor talent are few and far between.