North Carolina Postgame

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think we are better then Duke, Wake, Boston College, Pitt, Miami actual fans not the bandwagons. Even with a 1-3 record Tech still had 45k yesterday which is almost a 5k fan increase from last years Coastal home opener, more UNC fans then expected though.

As has been stated before, there were not 45K in the stands yesterday. Also, I didn't see very many UNC fans. They had the SouthEast corner filled, but that was about it.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I went yesterday. Will have to watch on TV to really see much, but will say the defense didn't play well at all and that includes the secondary. UNC had receivers running free all day. They could have easily scored another 14 points in the first half if receivers would have made easy catches. Offense was putrid in the first half. James Graham is the only QB on the roster that has played that has shown any potential to be a high end QB.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Losing sucks. But I’m in the mood about football as I was in 2015...you become numb and accustomed to losing after so many.

It was nice to see some offensive improvement. I was so relieved we got some offensive production.

I wasn’t too high on David Curry. Really ever. But he had a monster game yesterday. He was flying around and making dare I say...elite tackles. He straight up one armed tackles a RB one time. His name was being called every other play. Plugging holes and getting disruption. Good to see him ball out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Have you seen our current recruiting class? It’s the best in the last decade, by far, and it’s not over yet.
There’s some good get in this class, but ....... We’re already overhyping everything else, maybe we could wait until we have more 4* recruits than 2*’s? Right now it’s a dead heat. Maybe a bunch of those listed as OL are really DT’s, maybe our QB recruit can throw a TD pass in game #7 and engineer a win, etc? Lastly, the total scholarship numbers appear to be interesting. I’m sure coach know how many are being (pick the descriptor you prefer to use), but on the face of it there’s high attrition over the hill. There’s some noticeable gaps in recruiting which I’m sure they’re working hard to address. Until we see some movement I’d hesitate to start beating our chests. Like our team’s overall performance, I’m personally in a wait & see mode.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we are better then Duke, Wake, Boston College, Pitt, Miami actual fans not the bandwagons. Even with a 1-3 record Tech still had 45k yesterday which is almost a 5k fan increase from last years Coastal home opener, more UNC fans then expected though.
We did not have 45k at the game yesterday 35k maybe but not 45k

LibertyTurns

Banned
How does dook make it work, basketball revenue? I watched their game last night and there were maybe 20k there, pathetic turnout for a home night game and a decent team
The data on Dook is hard to find but they generate more revenue in basketball than football. This is rare, if they’re not the sole D1 program that has this dynamic. Dook didn’t spend $30M to upgrade the Cameroon indoor basketball court like we did on McTit, the $100M upgrade to Wally Wade was all privately funded, etc. Like life, paying cash allows a lot more flexibility when you want to do something or have unplanned expenses arrive at your door step. GT does not manage their athletic programs anything like Dook, Stanford, etc the ones we seem to have schwanz envy over. Quite frankly, they raced by us and left us in the dust and what we’re doing now is just going to pace them leaving the gap mostly unchanged.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...tball-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt

https://goduke.com/news/2017/8/15/211661442.aspx

https://goduke.com/news/2007/10/18/1283613.aspx

Deleted member 2897

There’s some good get in this class, but ....... We’re already overhyping everything else, maybe we could wait until we have more 4* recruits than 2*’s? Right now it’s a dead heat. Maybe a bunch of those listed as OL are really DT’s, maybe our QB recruit can throw a TD pass in game #7 and engineer a win, etc? Lastly, the total scholarship numbers appear to be interesting. I’m sure coach know how many are being (pick the descriptor you prefer to use), but on the face of it there’s high attrition over the hill. There’s some noticeable gaps in recruiting which I’m sure they’re working hard to address. Until we see some movement I’d hesitate to start beating our chests. Like our team’s overall performance, I’m personally in a wait & see mode.

I mean it’s not better than Clemson, but it’s undeniably significantly better than anything we’ve seen in a long time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I mean it’s not better than Clemson, but it’s undeniably significantly better than anything we’ve seen in a long time.

This is true however, we still do not have enough defensive linemen who would be game changers. Linemen, linemen, and more linemen. I don't care how fast they are more receivers, defensive backs, and running backs are not going to get it done.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How does dook make it work, basketball revenue? I watched their game last night and there were maybe 20k there, pathetic turnout for a home night game and a decent team

They make it work, such as it is, by having the best coach in the conference, excellent assistants, and a pretty wide recruiting net that targets, among other places, the 404. That sort of nonsense has got to stop. Coach Collins and his staff need to grab every good to great recruit in metro Atlanta so that Cut and his boys will have to find another turnip patch to feed in. Duke also has benefited from a pretty long line of good to excellent quarterbacks tutored by the quarterback guru himself back in the day.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Miami, Wake, Pitt, and Duke are private schools with scattered alumni. Dodd said that one reason he favored getting into the ACC was that there were many schools that were either private or like Tech a second state school such as Virginia Tech and NC State. Come to think of it, the ACC probably has more private universities than any other power 5 conference. Boston College is private? Syracuse is private? Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, and Pitt are private as well. I think.

Deleted member 2897

They make it work, such as it is, by having the best coach in the conference, excellent assistants, and a pretty wide recruiting net that targets, among other places, the 404. That sort of nonsense has got to stop. Coach Collins and his staff need to grab every good to great recruit in metro Atlanta so that Cut and his boys will have to find another turnip patch to feed in. Duke also has benefited from a pretty long line of good to excellent quarterbacks tutored by the quarterback guru himself back in the day.

Cutcliffe is an arrogant ******* who barely ever breaks 0.500 in ACC play. Most of their wins historically come from a 2-6 ACC season plus Elon, NCA&T, and Samford. They only squeeze out a good year once in a decade when the rest of the Coastal is garbage.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed but to that extent why do you do things on offense that play to your weakness. Our two best drives came as a result of strong running plays. One by Mason and one by Howard. They only had a total of 11 carries yesterday. It is our coaches fear that if we start to run the ball we will look like Tech from the past 11 years. Therefore we are pass happy, trying to go drop back when we cant pass protect. When you can't pass protect you run the ball and then work your passing through play action. At least that is what good coaches do.

I just dont think the staff is comfortable at all. The run or pass argument will never be settled because those who advocate for either will have to face the chicken or the egg question. We ran the ball 2/3 rds of the time in the first 3 games and still struggled badly.

Their are people who will argue that the run sets up the pass and those who argue a good passing game opens up the run. I personally don’t think the runs that we use set up the passing game because we tend to use end runs which look for a hole outside. We stretch the play out for the defense rather than the defense stretching it out to stop upfield progress.

With all that said, yesterday was a bad game to try to judge. NC could have been up 31-0 at the half had they not dropped so many balls. I think we had to pass to try to stay close since our defense struggled.

It at this point who knows

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe is an arrogant ******* who barely ever breaks 0.500 in ACC play. Most of their wins historically come from a 2-6 ACC season plus Elon, NCA&T, and Samford. They only squeeze out a good year once in a decade when the rest of the Coastal is garbage.

That is true but he has owned us lately and has raised Duke to a level not seen since Spurrier was there in the late 80s. He must be doing something right.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As has been stated before, there were not 45K in the stands yesterday. Also, I didn't see very many UNC fans. They had the SouthEast corner filled, but that was about it.
I was truly shocked there was not more baby blue all in the stands. You are correct they were mostly confined to that Southeast corner.

The ones we meet were gracious and complemented us (GT) about the stadium and the view.

Deleted member 2897

That is true but he has owned us lately and has raised Duke to a level not seen since Spurrier was there in the late 80s. He must be doing something right.

2018: 3 ACC wins
2017: 3 ACC wins
2016: 1 ACC win

Now you’re right, that is much better than Duke is used to, but they still suck 8 out of 10 years. They’ll be okay this year because the Coastal is hot garbage. That’s their formula for the 2 out of 10 years when they’re not ***.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2018: 3 ACC wins
2017: 3 ACC wins
2016: 1 ACC win

Now you’re right, that is much better than Duke is used to, but they still suck 8 out of 10 years. They’ll be okay this year because the Coastal is hot garbage. That’s their formula for the 2 out of 10 years when they’re not ***.

He must be doing something right, they keep him around. I guess they could go back to Roof or Carl Franks or not.