North Carolina Postgame

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Also I hope Harvin holds out. I bet he has more punts than we had in total for the last 4 years.
Read somewhere that he has already punted 31 times this season. Last year he punted a total of 35 times.

*Note ... I had not read further before I had posted this.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm disappointed. However, I get the feeling that, after watching the VT vs Miami game, that we can beat both VT and Miami. If we improve on what we did today I think we could win some games.
Did you forget to take your medication or did you accidentally take a double dose? [emoji6]

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Man our Front 7 are just hanging the DBs out to dry out there. Howell was playing pitch and catch every time he dropped back. Luckily for us, UNC couldn't figure out the catch part too well.

The one 3rd down I do remember getting pressure and forcing a knockdown, Howell completed a 10 yard pass for a first down as he was getting hit.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And heaven forbid you stand and cheer for the team, omg the world may end

It’s absolutely mind boggling. The number of funny looks I get from people in section 101 and 102...when I make noise for the D...is very strange.

To begin with....if a fan is sitting 40-50 feet away from me they shouldn’t be able to discern my voice from the rest of the crowd. The fact they do says something in and of itself.

Then there are two types of odd looks I get. The first is what I refer to as the slight grin and nod of approval look. To which I ask myself, if they approve why aren’t they making any noise themselves? The second type is just simply astonished and annoyed to hear someone yelling within earshot. To which I wonder...why don’t they just stay home and watch on TV? The obvious answer I have to this second type is that they must have become so conditioned to the tennis match atmosphere at BDS the last 30 years they just don’t like anything else.

Too busy with family stuff and activities to buy season tickets this year. And I’m not missing the atmosphere at BDS at all. Well I do miss a few of the guys I sat near who also get loud. But that’s like 5 guys in section 101 on a good day. 5 guys per section inside BDS...times X number of sections equals how many loud fans? And this is being generous because section 102 might have 2 loud fans on a good day.

IIWII and I hope CGC can miraculously recruit to the level he wants in spite of this horrid atmosphere. Then again I haven’t been to a game yet this year. Maybe the atmosphere is completely different with a pro style O now. I’m willing to bet my house and cars it isn’t though.

In stadium behavior by fans could bring more juice to CGC’s recruiting efforts than any presser or year full of tweets he tweets. Good luck with that CGC. I’m not a huge fan but you deserve better.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea he passed for 376 yards, but he also had something like 55 attempts... The problem isn't his yardage total, it's the total amount of plays they ran. That is a direct reflection of the inept offense that can't keep the defense off the field. They ran about 100 plays.

One of the advantages "the option" gives you is a better chance at ball control... Last year against UNC GT won time of possession 36 to 23. This year they lost it 36 to 23. Pretty odd that it was an exact swap, but it shows the difference. The year before against North Carolina, GT won time of possession 38 to 21.

Georgia Tech ranks 125th in the nation (nearly dead last) in time of possession.... The only time that stat is not a problem is if you are scoring so fast that it hurts the stat. That is obviously not the case with Tech, who ranks dead last in scoring offense in the country. Currently Navy leads the nation in time of possession. They also lead the nation in rushing yards at 345 per game, and are #30 in the nation in scoring offense at about 37 points per game. They control the clock, they score points, and they wear you out with the run.

All that being said... the yards the QB threw for are good, but not that great when you consider the attempts and the amount of plays they ran. Can't blame the defense for that. The nations worst offense is to blame.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How does dook make it work, basketball revenue? I watched their game last night and there were maybe 20k there, pathetic turnout for a home night game and a decent team

20k for Duke is pretty darn impressive. The only in conference fan base worse than Tech’s.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
It was working and we didn't want them to stop it so P'nut stopped calling it.

He had one long run. We had a ton of run plays that were negative or 1 yard types.
Pass blocking is easier to teach than run blocking. We will be more successful running short pass plays and runs with misdirection ie counters and sweeps.
We have to work around the line. It can schemed around.
That being said the line play has improved since Citadel. That’s why Graham looks better than Johnson.
It might be a tough year but I want to see us improve every game. So far that has been spotty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Citadel just got beat by a Virginia Military Institute that Marshall beat by 50 points. That loss keeps looking worse. Might be the worst loss in Georgia Tech history, and the worst loss in the country this year.

If they played again I suspect GT would win though.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
At least GT fans show up when we have a good team, 20k-ish for a 3-1 team at night is awful, maybe there was a lacrosse game or b-ball scrimmage going on somewhere nearby...

slugboy

Staff member
How does dook make it work, basketball revenue? I watched their game last night and there were maybe 20k there, pathetic turnout for a home night game and a decent team

Yes, they make it work with basketball revenue. To some degree, so do UNC and possibly some other schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
And there have been great coaches who had terrible teams for the same reason. But great teams that have poor talent are few and far between.
P
I think you're negative outlook is clouding your judgement a little bit. We had over 45K in paid attendance yesterday. I thought it was a good crowd.

Last year, we had 37K in paid attendance vs UVA. That was with a perfect kickoff time and us entering the game winning 5 of the previous 6.
we may have sold 45k tickets but generously only 60% of the seats were filled. I was in the upper East.

Scubapro

Banned
Yea he passed for 376 yards, but he also had something like 55 attempts... The problem isn't his yardage total, it's the total amount of plays they ran. That is a direct reflection of the inept offense that can't keep the defense off the field. They ran about 100 plays.

One of the advantages "the option" gives you is a better chance at ball control... Last year against UNC GT won time of possession 36 to 23. This year they lost it 36 to 23. Pretty odd that it was an exact swap, but it shows the difference. The year before against North Carolina, GT won time of possession 38 to 21.

Georgia Tech ranks 125th in the nation (nearly dead last) in time of possession.... The only time that stat is not a problem is if you are scoring so fast that it hurts the stat. That is obviously not the case with Tech, who ranks dead last in scoring offense in the country. Currently Navy leads the nation in time of possession. They also lead the nation in rushing yards at 345 per game, and are #30 in the nation in scoring offense at about 37 points per game. They control the clock, they score points, and they wear you out with the run.

All that being said... the yards the QB threw for are good, but not that great when you consider the attempts and the amount of plays they ran. Can't blame the defense for that. The nations worst offense is to blame.

Take out the second sentence about the option and this post would be spot on for any year Gailey was a coaching.
This is my lack of reason hope for the future:
Sometimes lack of resources forces people to be innovative. Maybe P-Nut is cooking up clever schemes in his pointy head leading him to miraculous epiphanies. The same goes for Thacker.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think you're negative outlook is clouding your judgement a little bit. We had over 45K in paid attendance yesterday. I thought it was a good crowd.

Last year, we had 37K in paid attendance vs UVA. That was with a perfect kickoff time and us entering the game winning 5 of the previous 6.
We had a paid attendance of 42871 for Citadel. You think we had anywhere near that in the stands ?

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve read all 14 pages of this thread and I’m surprised no one has said anything about TO not being somewhere in the field. I think Graham will continue to improve. He didn’t run backward this time, but still stares down targets and throws into traffic. He made some good plays. If he’s the QB, then I’m looking for TO somewhere else on the field. He played very few downs in the game. That makes me unhappy, as he’s a playmaker.

Where is our run defense??? If I had been UNC, i wouldn’t have thrown the ball...just run it! They were getting like 7.7 yards per carry for a while. (Not sure of final stat) the secondary today was hit or miss. We were lucky there were so many drops. That slant route pass on third ate us alive!! We have some work to do on learning to line up right and shift when we are out numbered.

KO return...my dad pointed out to me that Brown and a tight end were lined up on opposite sides of one another. So the fastest (rather small) guy and one of the slowest big guys are serving the same position? Who can explain this to me? I didn’t get it.

Better in penalties this game. Glad we scored.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
20k for Duke is pretty darn impressive. The only in conference fan base worse than Tech’s.
I probably misunderstand your post but I'll go with my interpretation... Worse attendance-wise? Syracuse, Wake, UVA, UNC until this year, Pitt, Boston College, Duke, Miami most years

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We will always hurt on D because we cannot recruit D lineman as they are frankly not smart enough to come to Tech. That is fact.
I think we are better then Duke, Wake, Boston College, Pitt, Miami actual fans not the bandwagons. Even with a 1-3 record Tech still had 45k yesterday which is almost a 5k fan increase from last years Coastal home opener, more UNC fans then expected though.