New rules at stadium

This is very true. All the security procedures are purely smoke and mirrors to make people feel safe. It’s a mirage though.
The so-called security measures I have seen the past couple of years are a total joke. Most of those hired to scan and search people obviously hate what they are doing and, in many cases, don't have a clue how to do it properly.....or don't care enough about it to attempt to do it properly. If you are going to have a security check, then hire people qualified to do the job.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Silly. This whole evil plan is designed to increase concessions? I would rather (and do) buy breakfast before heading to BDS for a noon kickoff rather than pay $8 for a warm brat. And that’s not gonna change.

And if the kickoff is later? Enjoy a cocktail, watch the game and zoom home for a cookout and watch the later games.

There is virtually nothing BDS can do that will make me change behavior. I don't shell out five bucks for a Coke for anyone.

No need to complain. Just adjust.

Hear, hear!

Silly. This whole evil plan is designed to increase concessions? I would rather (and do) buy breakfast before heading to BDS for a noon kickoff rather than pay $8 for a warm brat. And that’s not gonna change.

And if the kickoff is later? Enjoy a cocktail, watch the game and zoom home for a cookout and watch the later games.

There is virtually nothing BDS can do that will make me change behavior. I don't shell out five bucks for a Coke for anyone.

No need to complain. Just adjust.
You are more than welcome to come join my tailgate group before all the games in the Spring St lot across from the Varsity. Unless you bring something to add to that which others bring, it won't cost you a cent, and it's a good time with other Tech fans.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The so-called security measures I have seen the past couple of years are a total joke. Most of those hired to scan and search people obviously hate what they are doing and, in many cases, don't have a clue how to do it properly.....or don't care enough about it to attempt to do it properly. If you are going to have a security check, then hire people qualified to do the job.

To have truly secure entry points....will at least quadruple the wait to get inside. Maybe a tenfold increase. There are risks in life. Crazy murderous bastards or terrorists hitting sporting events is one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You are more than welcome to come join my tailgate group before all the games in the Spring St lot across from the Varsity. Unless you bring something to add to that which others bring, it won't cost you a cent, and it's a good time with other Tech fans.

Sounds great, thanks. And right on the way from the North Ave station.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Generally agree, although I had a horrible experience last year where I got called out by a "security gate guard" for having my kids' Capri Suns and mini-muffins in a non-GT Season Ticket Holder bag, but another clear bag. He said he couldn't prove I was a season ticket holder. I went to his supervisor and he said I could bring in one thing, but not both. What an idiotic thing to say. So he decided to take his stand with my kids' mini-muffins when, as noted, other people are walking in with drinks really pissed me off. Almost to the point of why are we abusing our fans, the few that we have. I emailed TS and Jeff Keisler got in touch with me and made it right and I really thought they understood the fact that we don't have a lot of fans and we need to keep the ones we have happy. I guess I was wrong.

Generally agree, although I had a horrible experience last year where I got called out by a "security gate guard" for having my kids' Capri Suns and mini-muffins in a non-GT Season Ticket Holder bag, but another clear bag. He said he couldn't prove I was a season ticket holder. I went to his supervisor and he said I could bring in one thing, but not both. What an idiotic thing to say. So he decided to take his stand with my kids' mini-muffins when, as noted, other people are walking in with drinks really pissed me off. Almost to the point of why are we abusing our fans, the few that we have. I emailed TS and Jeff Keisler got in touch with me and made it right and I really thought they understood the fact that we don't have a lot of fans and we need to keep the ones we have happy. I guess I was wrong.
I got clear plastic bags two years in a row. The one I received the first year had a big GT and "Georgia Tech Football Season Ticket Holder" on it in gold letters to identify it. The one that came the second year the bag had the top half of the Wreck and the words "Georgia Tech Alumni Association" in gold, with no indication that it belongs to a season ticket holder. So how the heck can a "security guard" know from the bags whether we are season ticket holders or not. And where is it stated that a group of people can only have one clear plastic bag anyway? I thought that any clear bag was ok, but those identified as belonging to season ticket holders didn't have to be searched.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
They aren't giving me anything bc I'm not renewing. I just don't see the point anymore. I can buy the same tickets for $5-10 on stubhub, don't get locked into going to a game and then have to scramble to sell/give away the tickets if something comes up. The experience and novelty at BD has gone downhill a lot the past few years. Awful noon KO's every ****ing game resulting in no tailgate time, lines to get into the stadium are longer than ever, the mobile ticket scanning software is garbage, concessions are ****, and the product on the field is mediocre at best. Now they want to pile on more rules and regulations that will cost me additional money. No thanks.
The point is to support the program! Yes, we can all likely buy tickets cheaper on the street for most of our home games.... But the program & GTAA would suffer immensely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So would 101,821+ Crimson Tide fans... But, let's be realistic, Tech doesn't have a surplus of Bwelbos floating around to snatch up the season tickets that don't get renewed.

If we want to fill BDS, Tech needs to be encouraging people; Atlantans, non-alumni, etc to come check out BDS and become part of the community. My 90 year old grandpa still talks about how in the 50's and 60's Tech football was just the thing to do in Atlanta. But you could pretty much pull up to the stadium and walk inside with whatever you wanted. (Granted a lot has changed since then)

I'm not complaining about these new rules particularly. I'm complaining about the slow steady annual drip of the GTAA making the fan experience worse. My family had no real connection to GT until I attended. I dreamed of going to GT because my Dad took me to games as a kid. I've brought friends/colleagues to games before with their kids. Hoping they'd fall in love with GT and dream of going there the way I did. The lines, rude staff, expensive crappy concessions, uncomfortable bleachers... it's a hard sell.

GTAA needs to talk to an Economist that specializes in sports economics. There's such a thing as a revenue curve. The classic example is selling donuts. If you have ten donuts and can sell all ten for $1 each. You make $10. Let's say you can sell 1 donut to one crazy guy for $10 instead. Still make $10. But if you could sell 5 donuts for $5 each you make $25. Right now, I think Tech is asking $8 for crappy stale donuts.

I feel like with a better, cheaper, product Tech could actually make more money on volume. Water is a great example. At $4 a bottle my wife and I are buying one, sharing, complaining about it and going thirsty. If they were $1 a bottle and service was quick; I'd probably buy 6 during a game and be totally happy with it.

GTAA talked nonstop about how they observed ATLUTD and surveyed them to find out the secret to gameday experience.

And then, as it turns out, they didn't listen or implement any of it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GTAA talked nonstop about how they observed ATLUTD and surveyed them to find out the secret to gameday experience.

And then, as it turns out, they didn't listen or implement any of it.

It is amazing that a sports team with no history rocks Atlanta ... while our GTAA marketing team struggles with game day experience despite 100+ years of working at it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
  • a special commemorative adidas t-shirt for season-ticket holders;
  • a souvenir water bottle for season-ticket holders;
I have two season tickets. Does that mean that I will get two t-shirts and two water bottles? I think from past history, we all know the answer to that question --- NO. Also, are they going to inquire about the shirt size we need? Probably not.

Just to verify what has been guessed upon. (I didn't reread through the thread and apologize if anyone else has already noted this. )

I got a response from GTAA:
"Thank you for your email. You will be given the option to select shirt sizes and you will get (1) t-shirt per seat. Only (1) water bottle will be given per account.
Best,
Devon"

Deleted member 2897

Maybe what you need is a real protest. Like the guy who got sick of all the arbitrary rules through airport security. You might see how this helps:

0uDlMVD.png

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Go to a away game, no other schools allow outside food or drinks. Most every other school also makes you have a ticket for infants and toddlers... Maybe that is way other stadiums don't look like a pre school event. Its a college football game. Buy a drink and a hotdog, get a babysitter and watch a college football game. Its not the Stone Mtn Park Lazer show.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Go to a away game, no other schools allow outside food or drinks. Most every other school also makes you have a ticket for infants and toddlers... Maybe that is way other stadiums don't look like a pre school event. Its a college football game. Buy a drink and a hotdog, get a babysitter and watch a college football game. Its not the Stone Mtn Park Lazer show.
After player walk up - we are one of first in the north west gate (right after flea and wife). We got get a good luck bodacious burger and twisted toco, then head to seats. Can't wait - lets do it again!

They need much more going on PRE GAME AND DURING TV TIME OUTS. Maybe more Buzz!!

The only away games I have been to in the past several years, other than the ACCCGs and the Orange Bowls, were at Clemson. This past fall, even though I still wouldn't brag too much about their security procedures, they sure worked a helluva lot better than what we have at BDS.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One tee shirt per seat is awesome and will hopefully help us unite in color for a change. Even if it ends up being the wrong shade of gold.:LOL:

Just because they are only giving one water bottle per acct doesn’t mean you can’t bring your own extra (maybe empty) bottles also in your clear bags.

We really griping about not getting extra free $5 water bottles?

The security stuff is a different matter but though I abhor the ridiculousness of it in reality. That kind of stuff is what the masses want to feel safe (even though they aren’t). It’s even worse for NFL etc.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect to Flea, I'm season ticket holder at Clemson as well as Tech (wife went there and is huge fan). They don't require tickets for fans under 3 or 4, I think, and I believe they let us bring water bottles in. They also let you leave at half time so you can go back to your tailgate and refill your empties.... :). Their gate staff is far superior to ours.

There is no perfect situation or "fan." I'm also a 26 year season ticket holder and a basketball season ticket holder. I've got three kids from 4 to 9. Will this policy make me drop my season tickets? Likely not. Will it make it more of a pain in the rear to not be able to bring water bottles, kids snacks, some tailgate food, etc.? Yes. If my kids were still infants and I couldn't bring in a diaper bag, forget it, I'm not coming. Why risk losing fans over a stupid policy? If terrorists are going to plan a hit on a stadium, I would think they're going after uGA, Alabama, Clemson, somewhere with a lot of people, not a GT game against USF with 20,000 fans.

I have donated to the recruiting fund. I do have a multi-year pledge with AT right now and I've donated to AT and Roll Call every year since graduation (including buying back my student years for Roll Call). I'm fairly high up in the AT Fund point list and have been going to games for 40+ years. I remember watching ELI in 78, tying ND in 80, beating Alabama in Birmingham the following year, going to the ACC Championship game vs. UNC in 85, Citrus Bowl in 91, etc., so I'm a pretty darn good fan. Stansbury just missed this one. The gate "security" in place is farcical. Bottom of the barrel. Just for show. The reason the lines are slow is because of the help and the fact that it usually takes multiple times to scan my tickets. The security staff sucks and makes it seem like they are doing you a favor by letting you in the gate.

Enough of people griping about whether someone is a good or bad fan or if there is too much griping about this policy. We are GT. We need more fans and we need to be more fan friendly. If this policy is going to cost us 2 fans or 500 fans, that is too many for us to lose. This policy needs to be corrected and quickly as season ticket applications go out next week. Stansbury usually gets it, but they missed it big time on this policy, both in actual policy and the implementation in the FAQ, as if no one would see it.