New rules at stadium

Deleted member 2897

You mad that I don’t think everything is sunshine and rainbows or that not everyone thinks and believes what you do?

Neither.

I’m not mad at all. I’m confused at how you think being vulgar helps. if I were the GTAA looking for feedback, I’d ignore you and not take you seriously. Someone who emails or calls me with honest feedback without being a jerk I’d listen to and take notes.

Also, it’s a terrible show of what Tech fans are like.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, Tech fans need to stop doing an ROI on every activity in life. “I can do X cheaper.” Or “Y doesn’t cost that much in real life.” We have to stop that.

It’s not about ROI. It’s about quality. If BDS served good food ... I’d pull out my wallet. But $8 for a brat cooked the day before?

It’s football. I’d be happy with a good burger, a good brat or dog, and a cold beer. BDS doesn’t sell that. So .. I work around it.

Deleted member 2897

It’s not about ROI. It’s about quality. If BDS served good food ... I’d pull out my wallet. But $8 for a brat cooked the day before?

It’s football. I’d be happy with a good burger, a good brat or dog, and a cold beer. BDS doesn’t sell that. So .. I work around it.

That’s an ROI calculation. “I’m not paying $8 for a $3 brat.”

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At some point, we should be willing to do anything to support our team. I would go literally dressed as a clown if they said those were the rules.

So would 101,821+ Crimson Tide fans... But, let's be realistic, Tech doesn't have a surplus of Bwelbos floating around to snatch up the season tickets that don't get renewed.

If we want to fill BDS, Tech needs to be encouraging people; Atlantans, non-alumni, etc to come check out BDS and become part of the community. My 90 year old grandpa still talks about how in the 50's and 60's Tech football was just the thing to do in Atlanta. But you could pretty much pull up to the stadium and walk inside with whatever you wanted. (Granted a lot has changed since then)

I'm not complaining about these new rules particularly. I'm complaining about the slow steady annual drip of the GTAA making the fan experience worse. My family had no real connection to GT until I attended. I dreamed of going to GT because my Dad took me to games as a kid. I've brought friends/colleagues to games before with their kids. Hoping they'd fall in love with GT and dream of going there the way I did. The lines, rude staff, expensive crappy concessions, uncomfortable bleachers... it's a hard sell.

GTAA needs to talk to an Economist that specializes in sports economics. There's such a thing as a revenue curve. The classic example is selling donuts. If you have ten donuts and can sell all ten for $1 each. You make $10. Let's say you can sell 1 donut to one crazy guy for $10 instead. Still make $10. But if you could sell 5 donuts for $5 each you make $25. Right now, I think Tech is asking $8 for crappy stale donuts.

I feel like with a better, cheaper, product Tech could actually make more money on volume. Water is a great example. At $4 a bottle my wife and I are buying one, sharing, complaining about it and going thirsty. If they were $1 a bottle and service was quick; I'd probably buy 6 during a game and be totally happy with it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So would 101,821+ Crimson Tide fans... But, let's be realistic, Tech doesn't have a surplus of Bwelbos floating around to snatch up the season tickets that don't get renewed.

If we want to fill BDS, Tech needs to be encouraging people; Atlantans, non-alumni, etc to come check out BDS and become part of the community. My 90 year old grandpa still talks about how in the 50's and 60's Tech football was just the thing to do in Atlanta. But you could pretty much pull up to the stadium and walk inside with whatever you wanted. (Granted a lot has changed since then)

I'm not complaining about these new rules particularly. I'm complaining about the slow steady annual drip of the GTAA making the fan experience worse. My family had no real connection to GT until I attended. I dreamed of going to GT because my Dad took me to games as a kid. I've brought friends/colleagues to games before with their kids. Hoping they'd fall in love with GT and dream of going there the way I did. The lines, rude staff, expensive crappy concessions, uncomfortable bleachers... it's a hard sell.

GTAA needs to talk to an Economist that specializes in sports economics. There's such a thing as a revenue curve. The classic example is selling donuts. If you have ten donuts and can sell all ten for $1 each. You make $10. Let's say you can sell 1 donut to one crazy guy for $10 instead. Still make $10. But if you could sell 5 donuts for $5 each you make $25. Right now, I think Tech is asking $8 for crappy stale donuts.

I feel like with a better, cheaper, product Tech could actually make more money on volume. Water is a great example. At $4 a bottle my wife and I are buying one, sharing, complaining about it and going thirsty. If they were $1 a bottle and service was quick; I'd probably buy 6 during a game and be totally happy with it.

Like you, I don’t think GTAA does any sophisticated pricing models to maximize attendance or revenue.

But, compared to other schools, we are a bargain.

I looked at the NCAA attendance figures by school since 1990. Attendance is driven by a) location not in an urban center, b) alumni density, and quality of schedule. All of which work against Tech. Compared to our peers though (not UGA), we’re acthally doing ok.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So a discount to season ticket holders on stadium food is a GTAA ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW FAN EXPERIENCE

On the hope that it was lost , I will resend my idea for MORE BUZZ AT BDS.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
It turns out GT went in the wrong direction with the stadium 15 years ago. More bleachers was not the answer. They need to be making the stadium as nice as possible, which will probably come with a significant reduction in capacity. They have a small footprint to work with, so they will need to get creative. If only they had access to a bunch of smart people?

I hope they figure it out. All of the issues with the fan experience seem very legit and very valid. BDS can be brought up to modern standards, but it will not be easy or inexpensive.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Every business needs to understand its customer base. If better food, larger seats etc will cause more Tech grads to buy tickets. then BDS should adjust to capture that business. It seems to me that the average Tech fan is different demographically than the average dwag fan and the stadium should reflect that.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this not being able to bring in water/food thing would be so bad if they hadn't let us start doing it 5 years ago. They just gave us something and then took it away. That never polls well.

On the other hand, I finally have some decent food options (Chic-fil-a & Sonneys) near my seats. I couldn't stomach another meal of bad pizza and nachos that were the main options near me just 3 years ago.

I really don't care about the food thing, and I don't mind bringing an empty water bottle to be filled inside the stadium. But if we are going to have to have a REQUIRED type of water bottle, and they are only giving one of them to each season ticket buyer, no matter how many tickets he purchases, then that's where I have a big problem. IMO that's just plain stupid.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I really don't care about the food thing, and I don't mind bringing an empty water bottle to be filled inside the stadium. But if we are going to have to have a REQUIRED type of water bottle, and they are only giving one of them to each season ticket buyer, no matter how many tickets he purchases, then that's where I have a big problem. IMO that's just plain stupid.
Where did it ever say you're required to bring in a specific water bottle? Season ticket holders get one souvenir water bottle (whatever that means), so what do you think they're the only ones allowed to fill up at filling stations?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow

I am hoping they will let us bring in these soft water bags that I already have for hiking trips. They roll up flat when not filled and hold 1L each. It is very obvious that there is nothing inside them when empty and if I have to I will smuggle them in since they roll up so small.

Our previous bag policy was very generous and the ability to bring in outside food and water was a very nice perk that I will miss. Mostly because we need lots of water for all of our stupid noon games in the hot sun. I don't want to have to crawl over a bunch of people to leave my seat every time one of us gets thirsty.

One other thing - clutch bags of the approved size are completely USELESS. They barely hold your phone and keys so why bother?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t the larger issue here that they’re acting like they’re doing us a favor? If they need more money and view this as an avenue toward achieving that objective, fine. But effing say that. Don’t patronize me by telling me how you’re actually helping me out.

Where did it ever say you're required to bring in a specific water bottle? Season ticket holders get one souvenir water bottle (whatever that means), so what do you think they're the only ones allowed to fill up at filling stations?
I thought that was implied in what I read. Maybe I am wrong; I hope so. At any rate, why only send one per order and not one for each season ticket?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Stop being reasonable and understanding that the Institute is trying to make a profit in order to FEED the athletic department as well as incorporate safety. Just ***** and complain like the rest please, it's much more entertaining.

This thread is sad. People need to stop bitching about water, long lines, milk for infants (at a football game mind you, don't even get me started). I'm embarrassed about the crap the GTAA is taking over this.

I liked bringing in frozen water bottles for me and my kids. I wish we could continue to. I always also bought at least 2 cokes, ice cream for kid, and sometimes a meal when there wasn’t enough time to grab something pre-game.

But I ain’t crying. I always appreciated what I did get for free. Will continue to.

But this is a perfect example of what happens when you give folks something for “free.” A sense of entitlement. Kinda like welfare.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Bullshirt.

The measures that have been taken at Grant Field are designed to give the appearance of safety. Wanding 40k+ people in 60 minutes by inattentive and uncaring workers does nothing to increase safety. Allowing any bags also decreases safety. A mildly determined person can easily defeat the protocols and do what ever they want.

The new policies are designed to lower exposure to lawsuits after an event, not to increase safety.

I get the desire for the GTAA to want to increase concession revenue, and can reasonably accept that. To describe any of the new procedures at Grant Field as safety measures is disingenuous as best and a bold face lie at worse.

This is very true. All the security procedures are purely smoke and mirrors to make people feel safe. It’s a mirage though.