NCAA violations found at GT

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who thinks taking a recruit to a strip club...even with slipping $300 in the deal....is a big nothing burger compared to what normally goes on in college basketball? Am I the only one who thinks this is hypocritical as hell of the NCAA to come out?

I get what Red is saying, and I defer to his wisdom, but even if they are just after LeBarrie, personally, I don't see this as a big deal. Not worth trying to mess up someone's career over....and not when much bigger profile coaches are skating untouched.

I must be a horrible person.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OMFG, the first thing I did was laugh. You got players being paid 6-7 figures but these are "level 1" violations?!

This is beyond comical. Our AD should not miss the opportunity to note that these serious things are going on but they want to pop us for $300 and a strip club visit. I mean, come on.

What would be the penalty for thumbing our noses at the NCAA on this? Public opinion would be with us. Shiii, we ain't making the tournament any time soon anyway. We self-ban from the postseason 'round these parts. NCAA should have minimal sway over us. (ok, that last bit was a bit extra but you get what I'm saying)

Maybe the NCAA is punishing us for sucking at cheating? Go big or go to Level 1! If we would have paid Sexton and Carter six figures, made the final four, and made the NCAA buckets of money, "federal crimes" would have miraculously been out of their purview.

Shame on GT for trying to bribe recruits by giving a player $300 to take recruits to watch young ladies perform for law school tuition.

Deleted member 2897

Meanwhile, Louisville was playing last night in the ACC Tournament. This despite the fact they were caught paying a player six figures (and a bunch of other payments testified to), resulting in that player being ineligible to play college basketball and their coach getting fired. Furthermore, Louisville was ALREADY ON PROBATION when it was caught paying players. But yet, here we are, with Louisville still having a jolly old time. F the NCAA.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe the NCAA is punishing us for sucking at cheating? Go big or go to Level 1! If we would have paid Sexton and Carter six figures, made the final four, and made the NCAA buckets of money, "federal crimes" would have miraculously been out of their purview.

Shame on GT for trying to bribe recruits by giving a player $300 to take recruits to watch young ladies perform for law school tuition.

Totally agree. Our "level 1" violation was meek cheating.

I'd happily accept sanctions if that was the charge.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who thinks taking a recruit to a strip club...even with slipping $300 in the deal....is a big nothing burger compared to what normally goes on in college basketball? Am I the only one who thinks this is hypocritical as hell of the NCAA to come out?

I get what Red is saying, and I defer to his wisdom, but even if they are just after LeBarrie, personally, I don't see this as a big deal. Not worth trying to mess up someone's career over....and not when much bigger profile coaches are skating untouched.

There seems to be some idea that the NCAA is supposed to be a great paragon of justice. It isn't. It is terribly inconsistent. That doesn't matter.

The schools don't trust each other so they created a bureaucratic institution to enforce the rules the schools pass. They severely limit the powers of this institution, purposely, because they don't want it to have any real power over stuff like their own academic programs.

However, the entire premise is based upon self-reporting and cooperation. It is much worse to not cooperate than any other thing. Once that happens, they have power. LaBarrie did that, it appears, in two ways.

The thing to understand is that the NCAA investigation process is a procedural process. GT has not been able to handle that. When the Bay Bay thing happened, we didn't have staff to handle it so it fell upon an attorney, who didn't know the procedures. He turned two minors into a major through arrogance and incompetence. We screwed ourselves. We seem to like it because we keep doing it.

The NCAA isn't about relativism. This is about a couple of specific incidents that need to be handled with the proper procedure. That may be unfair but life isn't fair.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Meanwhile, Louisville was playing last night in the ACC Tournament. This despite the fact they were caught paying a player six figures (and a bunch of other payments testified to), resulting in that player being ineligible to play college basketball and their coach getting fired. Furthermore, Louisville was ALREADY ON PROBATION when it was caught paying players. But yet, here we are, with Louisville still having a jolly old time. F the NCAA.

This is why Stansbury should give them the double birds.

secs.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His mom turned it in. By the way she also meet with the Adidas group before he went to Duke but nothing was done about that

Wonder if Carter was seriously considering GT and momma already was sporting Adidas gear (wink, wink) and realized she had to play some defense or else return said adidas gear (wink, wink).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Our school is in Atlanta. Nothing burger confirmed!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wonder if Carter was seriously considering GT and momma already was sporting Adidas gear (wink, wink) and realized she had to play some defense or else return said adidas gear (wink, wink).

"You can't be takin' my baby to no strip club! A strip club?! Wait, lemme unzip this adidas jacket and shut the door on my brand new house in Durham ..."

Deleted member 2897

And the NCAA calling R** B*** a fugging "booster". He's a felon who is trying to fugging sabotage our program! He's involved in litigation right now between our 2 sides for Pete's Sake. Calling him a booster incenses me more than giving a current player money to take a recruit out on the town while on a visit. I mean, this is pure insanity. I'm sure if you asked him, R** B*** himself would tell you he's not a booster. Jiminy Christmas. He's on public record shouting to the world that he's trying to bring the program down.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Lol at all the "not a good look for the program" and the "we need to cut ties with Jarrett Jack". That's all BS. The only reason it's an issue is because the dumbass NCAA is making it an issue. This is about as petty as the Bebe thing. **** wasn't even worth DLab's firing. Maybe a high level warning at best.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There seems to be some idea that the NCAA is supposed to be a great paragon of justice. It isn't. It is terribly inconsistent. That doesn't matter.

The schools don't trust each other so they created a bureaucratic institution to enforce the rules the schools pass. They severely limit the powers of this institution, purposely, because they don't want it to have any real power over stuff like their own academic programs.

However, the entire premise is based upon self-reporting and cooperation. It is much worse to not cooperate than any other thing. Once that happens, they have power. LaBarrie did that, it appears, in two ways.

The thing to understand is that the NCAA investigation process is a procedural process. GT has not been able to handle that. When the Bay Bay thing happened, we didn't have staff to handle it so it fell upon an attorney, who didn't know the procedures. He turned two minors into a major through arrogance and incompetence. We screwed ourselves. We seem to like it because we keep doing it.

The NCAA isn't about relativism. This is about a couple of specific incidents that need to be handled with the proper procedure. That may be unfair but life isn't fair.

I can only hope/pray that the GT AA has hired the same level lawyers as Pastner has in all this nonsense. Maybe the same legal group that worked the UNC case. If we are still as idiotic as we were with the Bay Bay case we deserve what we get.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lol at all the "not a good look for the program" and the "we need to cut ties with Jarrett Jack". That's all BS. The only reason it's an issue is because the dumbass NCAA is making it an issue. This is about as petty as the Bebe thing. **** wasn't even worth DLab's firing. Maybe a high level warning at best.

Labarrie should've got 'time served' at most. He committed some violations but everything he did was tame.

On Jack, it's unfortunate. For the sake of perception, having him close to the program could end up being a bad thing because of this nonsense.