NCAA violations found at GT

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I can only hope/pray that the GT AA has hired the same level lawyers as Pastner has in all this nonsense. Maybe the same legal group that worked the UNC case. If we are still as idiotic as we were with the Bay Bay case we deserve what we get.
I'm with you on this one. Let's face facts, GT just doesn't know how to play the GAME! Tech will roll over and take it up the wazoo and apologize to the the NCAA and say it won't happen again! They just don't have the " street smarts".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's time to move on from the Pastner erro...era.

Ou.gif

Based on what I've read, sounds like he's totally safe here so ..... there's that.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...69/strip-club-visit-center-georgia-tech-probe

According to the latest updated article, it is written in a way that seems GT and CJP won't be punished in any way. Rather it's LaBarrie, Jack and B*** that will be punished. But considering that none of them are employed at this time by a NCAA program, there really can only be a show clause for say 3-5 years for all of them. If this is the case, I'm not sure why the NCAA went to GT with these accusations.
Don't bet on it, especially since they are declaring psycho Bell a representative of Tech. The same psycho who was purposely trying to bring sanctions on tech. Unfortunately both Tadric & Josh bit on a free trip. Tried the same thing with Lammers but he wouldn't have anything to do with him. UNCAA is going to Cleveland St us. Go ahead UNCAA take the scholarships, etc, with this crap we probably won't score any recruits anyway or make the tourney for another decade.

GT11

GT Athlete
Pastner isn't going anywhere. The fact that he is in the clear with the NCAA basically guarantees that. if he was involved you could fire him with cause, without that you have to pay the buyout.

Everybody just needs to take a breath and see what comes of this. The Bell stuff could end up being time served due to Okogie and Jackson being suspended last year.
Since GT fired LaBarrie they may get off light. We just have to wait and see. Could see us losing a scholly.

I know in our modern hot take, shout immediately society no one wants to wait on anything, but that is the more prudent course of action.
Pastner will be retained or fired based on the programs performance on the court and in recruiting over the next 2 years.

Jack will certainly not be hired as an asst after this.
Jack should not be allowed back at Tech

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Can someone educate me, please?

If Labarrie and Jack as former Georgia Tech athletes so no problem with doing this, does that mean that they enjoyed these type benefits when they were here as recruits or students?

LaBarrie was acting as a GTAA employee & Jack purely as a former GT athlete & therefore a booster. Had it been LaBarrie involved solely, while a bit questionable even a coupla years ago, trips to the Spring Street Ballet have been a part of many a recruiting "Official Visit" even with the legalities of taking a minor into a bar for many, many years. Everything changed re: contacts by alumni & former athletes in the mid-19080s when the NCAA tightened the rules & letters, postcards, etc., from alumni/former players got on the No-No List.

Former athletes, even NBA players at a NCAA member school are by definition/regulation considered "boosters" and are therefore restricted from contact with prospects. Exceptions are made for family members & "long-standing family/friendly relationships" where. for example, the former athlete grew with the prospect's dad & has maintained the friendship. Once the prospect signs, he's no longer a prospect & thus you'll see folks like Calvin Johnson or Joe Anoai in the GT Weight Room when signees walk through.

It's still a dangerous area for the former athlete & I've had to tiptoe around it more than once. If you get much beyond "How's Junior doing?" it's a slippery slope. I've got a great-nephew in East Cobb who's got a future playing baseball, got offers for schollies from all around the ACC & SEC as a HS Soph & we'll talk football, cars, movies, Braves, Falcons, everything but college baseball. Essentially the same thing for a close friend from 2nd grade through now who kid back in the 1980s was a FB prospect - he ended up at Furman.

If you have questions, contact the GT Compliance Office (Link) for further info or Click Here for the NCAA Role Of Boosters Info (Link), essentially a list of Do's & Dont's.

Aren't you glad you asked?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He is not going to be a coach here now. That ship has sailed. But you don't want to ban him from the stadium or anything like that. No Tech coach wants to start putting barriers between the program and past players - especially NBA players.

I get that part. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it. (Amounts to a lifetime coaching ban which seems absurd but I get the optics of it wouldn't be good.)

It seemed like he was suggesting a ban on any connection whatsoever, which I don't think is right. I think that's what you're saying as well.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The silver lining of all this is if we skate with no penalties we can say we’ve officially made it!
Instead of trying to build a UVA or ND model program we can start trying to be more like Louisville!

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
The silver lining of all this is if we skate with no penalties we can say we’ve officially made it!
Instead of trying to build a UVA or ND model program we can start trying to be more like Louisville!
Good point. And the only big name coach that would even consider coming to this dumpster fire if we can get rid of dip**** pastner is slick rick.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And Labarrie likely gets 3-5 years for a strip club visit? Really?

I think the tampering accusations are probably the bigger issue.
The NCAA further alleged that LaBarrie provided false information to the association, tried to influence the team member to provide false information and tried to conceal his attempt to influence the team member.
Not saying that the accusations are true, but the NCAA seems to usually be harsher towards dishonesty and cover ups than to actual violations.

Deleted member 2897

I think the tampering accusations are probably the bigger issue.
Not saying that the accusations are true, but the NCAA seems to usually be harsher towards dishonesty and cover ups than to actual violations.

I mean, I kind of get where you're going. But then there's the case where UNC held a big middle finger up right in front of their face for years, and they didn't do anything about it.