NCAA violations found at GT

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What blows my mind is that we keep giving contracts like this for going to an NIT final !! GT is known for its intellectual prowess , & we’ve signed some of the dumbest contracts ever

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Would have applied if he had signed with us.

If a kid accepts money from school A but signs with school B, I am pretty confident that the NCAA can still rule him ineligible for school B. In the Memphis case, they said that a kid who cheats on a test is ineligible for any school he signs with, even if there is no evidence that anyone from the school helped him or knew about it. I assume that would be the same if a recruit takes money from an agent before he signs with a school.

But are you saying that, so long as the kid takes money from another school and not an agent, and so long as the kid is caught only after he leaves school and not while he is still playing, there is no consequence to the school he signs with? Seems like a bit of an odd result.

Deleted member 2897

If a kid accepts money from school A but signs with school B, I am pretty confident that the NCAA can still rule him ineligible for school B. In the Memphis case, they said that a kid who cheats on a test is ineligible for any school he signs with, even if there is no evidence that anyone from the school helped him or knew about it. I assume that would be the same if a recruit takes money from an agent before he signs with a school.

But are you saying that, so long as the kid takes money from another school and not an agent, and so long as the kid is caught only after he leaves school and not while he is still playing, there is no consequence to the school he signs with? Seems like a bit of an odd result.

Well Brian Bowen got $100,000 to go to Louisville. He had to transfer away and was ruled ineligible to play college basketball. Louisville fired their coach. But unless I am missing something (and I may be), nothing ever happened to Louisville from the NCAA.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well Brian Bowen got $100,000 to go to Louisville. He had to transfer away and was ruled ineligible to play college basketball. Louisville fired their coach. But unless I am missing something (and I may be), nothing ever happened to Louisville from the NCAA.

They had to pay back fund blah blah blah that basically resulted in a $20MM fee I believe

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
The best thing for everyone involved is to get all these issues out in the open where they can be aired out and let the cards fall where they may.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I thought that's what happened at the end of 2017. The violations were reported. The assistant coach was released, Coach Pastner cleared title IX, and the players were suspended.
This is not forensics. This is not a murder case. Nobody can convince me they needed another year to 'investigate' and type a report about kids playing in a pool and a a trip to a strip joint. They had 99% or more of the information they needed over a year ago.
Now they can drag it out for another year?
I personally don't think what Tech is charged with hurts recruiting because other than people on this board and people that attend Tech games, I think the world is pretty indifferent to Tech basketball right now. But I know many of you do think it hurts and some think this a death spiral so let me ask you this....do you think the NCAA should have the power to pick schools to hold a black cloud over their head...to hold in pre-probation for a couple of years after they've already handed out punishment? If a short period of time passes with no new significant information...or no evidence that effort has been made to gather information in a timely manner, then that school or conference of the school should be able to force an NCAA investigation to a close and the result presented in 60 days.
For those of you that have ones that would have been upset, how many of you told your mommy you went in a strip joint when you were 18?

slugboy

Staff member
Considering that the UNC NCAA investigation/process lasted from 2010-2017(ish), the NCAA can take a while to finish things off.
I’m not talking about the quality and quantity of violations, just NCAA speed and efficiency (or lack thereof). The only time I can think of the NCAA being quick is the “you’re guilty—here’s your penalty”. When the school defends itself, it seems to take longer.
I suspect the DLab allegation will be settled this year; maybe soon. Total guess on my part. The Ron Bell allegations will probably last until after the lawsuit and or other legal proceedings are done, and I don’t know how many legal proceedings there will be since he’s been up to shady things during the lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Labarrie incident was one of the dumbest things ever imo, here's why. There was a 0% chance Wendall Carter was coming here. Hell would freeze over first. It was basically a visit to help drum up positive coverage for the program and help with local recruiting long term. So why do anything outside the bounds. If you are going to skirt the rules at least do it with someone you have a real chance of getting.

IMO there was absolutely no upside for that decision and now we are dealing with the downside of it - having to hire a new asst and losing local contacts.
Just dumb.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The Labarrie incident was one of the dumbest things ever imo, here's why. There was a 0% chance Wendall Carter was coming here. Hell would freeze over first. It was basically a visit to help drum up positive coverage for the program and help with local recruiting long term. So why do anything outside the bounds. If you are going to skirt the rules at least do it with someone you have a real chance of getting.

IMO there was absolutely no upside for that decision and now we are dealing with the downside of it - having to hire a new asst and losing local contacts.
Just dumb.

There’s been a lot of dumb surrounding the GT basketball program for a while now.

Deleted member 2897

Just posted on college & pro sports - Clemson asst basketball coach on wiretap discussing how to pay Zion and referenced how their football team does it.

Millions of dollars out the window to players...let’s yawn...wait - someone took a kid to a strip joint? DEATH SENTENCE!