NCAA violations found at GT

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if Tech is put on probation for a 17 y.o. recruit in a strip club, if that would still clear him? Some of the fallout from the NCAA particularly with Mrs. Carter, the ex-player, etc., might not have been in the initial GT internal investigation? Ron Bell with the huge amount of Crawford texts, et al, are coming to light from the oversight. I don’t know, but it’s not over. We all know when Tech coaches are told not to talk, and then they do....Big Brother takes nice things away from us, although our legal counsel was told not to worry.

R** B*** says he has a lot of stuff, but he overstates what he has quite often. I read some of the text messages that he claims are proof that Pastner was involved. In those messages, Pastner told him that he, RB, had to back off and that GT couldn't do anything until Crawford notified his current coach and completed his current season. The messages with CPJ's wife were along the lines of: RB--I think Crawford is going to GT....CPJ'sWife--That would be great...... There isn't anything in there in which CPJ told RB to recruit or CPJ's wife said that she knew RB was recruiting.

RB is not a reliable source of information. He is definitely not a reliable source to describe what information he has.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
R** B*** says he has a lot of stuff, but he overstates what he has quite often. I read some of the text messages that he claims are proof that Pastner was involved. In those messages, Pastner told him that he, RB, had to back off and that GT couldn't do anything until Crawford notified his current coach and completed his current season. The messages with CPJ's wife were along the lines of: RB--I think Crawford is going to GT....CPJ'sWife--That would be great...... There isn't anything in there in which CPJ told RB to recruit or CPJ's wife said that she knew RB was recruiting.

RB is not a reliable source of information. He is definitely not a reliable source to describe what information he has.

Dang, what does Paul Johnson's wife has to do with this?

:smuggrin:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
For me, the Jarrett Jack thing is the biggest disappointment. Everything else was already old news (well, except I guess the NCAA determining that Ron Bell was an official "booster).

I get why everyone is saying that we should never let Jack coach here, and I see where they are coming from, but that is just not the way any big time program operates. He gave $300 bucks to a recruit on a visit as a booster, not as a staff person. That isn't great, but also isn't murder. When you have guys like Pearl, Pitino, Self, Miller, etc. that still coached after MUCH more serious allegations, I don't think we need to write him off forever.

Wait a few years until the dust settles and this staff changes over, and I am all for bringing Jack back on staff with a heavy dose of compliance training.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's already been reported that Pastner has been cleared by both GT and the NCAA, so the bylaw stated above will not apply. Pastner isn't even mentioned in the notice of allegations.

People really need to chill a little in regards to Pastner. We just emptied our bank account to hire a FB coach and his staff. We aren't going to be changing the BB coach for a couple of years until we can replenish a little.
Frankly, Pastner's record his first 3 years is not out of line with any other coach at GT over their first 3 years. Year 4 is where the wheat is separated from the chaff, let's see where we are next spring and then have this discussion.

Just for comparison sake,
Hewitt 48-44, 22-26, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT, 0 20+ win seasons, 17-13 best record (yr 1)
Cremins 41-42, 13-29 0 NCAA, 1 NIT, 0 20+ win seasons, 18-11 best record (yr 3)
Pastner 48-53, 20-34, 0 NCAA, 1 NIT, 1 20+ win season, 21-13 best record (yr 1)
Gregory 43-52, 18-36, 0 NCAA, 0 NIT, 0 20+ win season, 16-15 best record (yr 2)

He was on my 'hell no' list when he was hired, but we'll see how next season goes. His 68.2% FR and SO usage rate this year was the highest of any school in the ACC. I want to see if this program can perform better next year with a more experienced squad.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This looks like an N.O.A. from Feb.15:

Not sure if the final decision is forthcoming or what was determined aside from the GTAA Investigation? These things can drag on, not to mention the school having appellate rights. Wish I was as confident as some of you Swarmers.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
KQs article makes it sound like the punishment won’t be that bad per GT sources

Relevant part (free article): So what additional punishment is Tech facing? According to sources inside the program the worst the Jackets are looking at is a reduction in days on the road recruiting or maybe a loss of a few official visits. The NCAA did not find a lack of institutional control or head coach control. Those two are the things that cause a loss of postseason or TV or scholarships.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Relevant part (free article): So what additional punishment is Tech facing? According to sources inside the program the worst the Jackets are looking at is a reduction in days on the road recruiting or maybe a loss of a few official visits. The NCAA did not find a lack of institutional control or head coach control. Those two are the things that cause a loss of postseason or TV or scholarships.
So the AJC made it seem like the world is ending when it's really not

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We'll see how this eventually pans out but regardless of the outcome it adds to the milieu of bad juju around the program that will without a doubt make it harder to recruit freshmen to the program. Grad transfers won't care as much as they are here for a 1 year gig but the combination of record and all around bad juju will make recruits simply think CJP won't be here. In this case kind of like chinese water torture.

Deleted member 2897

We'll see how this eventually pans out but regardless of the outcome it adds to the milieu of bad juju around the program that will without a doubt make it harder to recruit freshmen to the program. Grad transfers won't care as much as they are here for a 1 year gig but the combination of record and all around bad juju will make recruits simply think CJP won't be here. In this case kind of like chinese water torture.

Mmmmmm, UNCs recruiting has been fine, and they were embroiled in one of the largest scandals in our generation. I think our recruiting challenges are just what they are, and I doubt this stuff moves the needle for any of them.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
At this point, unless JP is found guilty of blatantly covering something up we might as well ride him out for the remainder of the contract. It’s not like he’s landing anyone that’s making a difference on the recruiting trail and this isn’t going to help him either. I don’t think it can really get much worse than we are and a new coach will take two years to build any relationships with local HS and AAU guys. Ride this out, get everything on the financial books clear and make a clean break once the contract is done. Unless he finds away to get to back to back NCAA tournament appearances of course.
I’m over all this and the last decade of being irrelevant hasn’t helped matters. Unfortunately, firing him now, if we could won’t really make much difference.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC will tell you their basketball and football recruiting were definitely impacted by the "troubles". Ingram specifically mentioned it when he selected Duke over Carolina despite going to what had been a UNC feeder HS. Basketball in particular has picked up since they were resolved. Mack is starting outside of any issues but recruiting was a major reason Fedora was canned.

Again, by itself, today's announcement isn't a major issue. In the context of all the drip drip of news and the record it is just another brick in the wall. Something has to happen to change the "momentum" of the program. A couple of high end grad transfers would be nice but really the program needs to disappear from the headlines until next year.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It's already been reported that Pastner has been cleared by both GT and the NCAA, so the bylaw stated above will not apply. Pastner isn't even mentioned in the notice of allegations.

People really need to chill a little in regards to Pastner. We just emptied our bank account to hire a FB coach and his staff. We aren't going to be changing the BB coach for a couple of years until we can replenish a little.
Frankly, Pastner's record his first 3 years is not out of line with any other coach at GT over their first 3 years. Year 4 is where the wheat is separated from the chaff, let's see where we are next spring and then have this discussion.

Just for comparison sake,
Hewitt 48-44, 22-26, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT, 0 20+ win seasons, 17-13 best record (yr 1)
Cremins 41-42, 13-29 0 NCAA, 1 NIT, 0 20+ win seasons, 18-11 best record (yr 3)
Pastner 48-53, 20-34, 0 NCAA, 1 NIT, 1 20+ win season, 21-13 best record (yr 1)
Gregory 43-52, 18-36, 0 NCAA, 0 NIT, 0 20+ win season, 16-15 best record (yr 2)

He was on my 'hell no' list when he was hired, but we'll see how next season goes. His 68.2% FR and SO usage rate this year was the highest of any school in the ACC. I want to see if this program can perform better next year with a more experienced squad.

I agree with all of this. We don't have the money right now to make a better hire even without a payout to CJP. And, actually, if his recruiting was a little better, I might even border on being optimistic about Pastner. His coaching has been okay. His teams play with hustle, play good D, and generally show some improvement. Without drastically improved recruiting, however, he will be gone in three years.

It is also worth looking at the other two coaches we almost hired. Bryce Drew just went 0-18 in the SEC and Jeff Capel just went 3-15 in the ACC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Capel's results this year are not relevant to whether he is or would have been a good coach for us. He started literally at ground zero after the Stallings fiasco - below where CJP found himself a couple of years ago. In his first year he brought in 2 four star recruits each of his 2 classes plus several 3 star guys. Jury is still out on him.

Milwaukee

Banned
For me, the Jarrett Jack thing is the biggest disappointment. Everything else was already old news (well, except I guess the NCAA determining that Ron Bell was an official "booster).

I get why everyone is saying that we should never let Jack coach here, and I see where they are coming from, but that is just not the way any big time program operates. He gave $300 bucks to a recruit on a visit as a booster, not as a staff person. That isn't great, but also isn't murder. When you have guys like Pearl, Pitino, Self, Miller, etc. that still coached after MUCH more serious allegations, I don't think we need to write him off forever.

Wait a few years until the dust settles and this staff changes over, and I am all for bringing Jack back on staff with a heavy dose of compliance training.

Agreed. Jack didn't do anything wrong, Carter is just a little snitch imo. What a punk.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I would calm down. I’ve heard that we’re fine. Pastner / TStan reported everything as it happened. There was no coverup or lack of institutional / HC control. There won’t be any scholarship reductions or post season bans. The ajc tried to sensationalize this.