NCAA violations found at GT

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This must have come out of a meeting within the hallowed walls of the NCAA, that went something like this:
"We are losing credibility with the public because we haven't acted on any of these FBI allegations."
"But we'll lose even more if we penalize (pick one: Kansas, Arizona, LSU, Auburn, UNC....)"
"But we have to show that we can and will enforce the rules!"
"We need to come up with another school that has done something and we'll put the hammer down on them to show we have teeth!"
"How about those self-reported incidents at GA Tech a couple of years back? Penalties have already been handed out, sure, but the public don't know that."

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I stayed off the boards last night when I read about this because.. well I had a nice glass of talisker 10 and was sitting on the back porch with the dog. I didn't want to respond in an emotional or (whisky induced) way. Now though, the more I think about it and the more I see this crap popping on my news feed I am ready to play some offense.

Why doesn't anyone take the NCAA to task for this garbage. The ACC Champ title being taken away was comical but this is offensive. LaBarrie is basically up a creek over $300?! Jack is being dogwalked over hitting up the Spring Street Ballet?! LSU JUST CLEARED SMART TO PLAY AND THE NCAA IS MUM?!?!

I am over it man. How do we start writing checks to do a media blitz about the ridiculousness of this whole dang thing?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It's time to move on from the Pastner erro...era.

Ou.gif

Based on what I've read, sounds like he's totally safe here so ..... there's that.

Well yea the point was he shouldn’t be. But this is Gt we’re talking about so sort of like Danny Hall should’ve been out a few years ago we will just stay in the rut.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I get that part. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it. (Amounts to a lifetime coaching ban which seems absurd but I get the optics of it wouldn't be good.)

It seemed like he was suggesting a ban on any connection whatsoever, which I don't think is right. I think that's what you're saying as well.

It may end up being a lifetime ban but it sure is a 4-5 year "ban" while the heat is on. May even be a show cause time imposed by the NCAA - who knows. But if Jack really does want to be a coach then he can do things at the AAU level or HS level that would keep him in the game and position him for a spot when the heat is off and the time is right.

Time has a way of healing a lot of these things if he really wants this path.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So how many lap dances does $300 buy in Atlanta?

Somewhere between 10 - 30 depending on the establishment, tipping on top (on stage or for a dance), and using the funds for food & beverage.

It would not likely be enough to cover time in a VIP room. 30 minutes tops.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Personally, I believe whatever punishment the NCAA gives us, should be rightful. This is absurd and disgusting. And all the respect I had for Jarrett Jack is gone. This is ridiculous. Fire Pastner and lets start over.... He has struck out in recruiting. The horrendous AD that hired him is gone. And he no longer has a football program in distress to hide behind. Doing things like losing to Gardner-Webb ( https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georg...V2RSMnq9K/ ) will only greatly accelerate things. #ChangetheCulture #Hirearealcoach

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
Gregory and Hewitt come off the books at the conclusion of this season. Regarding Pastner:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ion-from-georgia-tech/iLGyyk25JWsmHcX6HfRLUM/

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/details-josh-pastner-contract-extension/YWSIQaan7KMkdNmRX5gPrI/

Cost to fire Pastner by year ... ? => speculated sum
2018-19: 100% of 1.7m + 1.9m(?) + 2.0m(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 10.2m
2019-20: 100% of 1.9(?) + 2.0m(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 8.5m
2020-21: 100% of 2.0(?) + 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 6.6m
2021-22: 75% of 2.2m(?) + 2.4m = ~ 3.45m
2022-23: 60% of 2.4m = 1.4m

Why is it GT men's basketball lays a Jurassic Park sized turd shortly after the HC gets extended? And *** **** it Stansbury why extend him after last year?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury just made a major hire in football and he is not looking to make any changes anytime soon with the basketball program. He gave his full support for Pastner’s plan last month.“We knew this was going to be a project and so the whole idea of getting old and staying old is kind of the plan and we need to stick to the plan,” Stansbury said. “At the end of the day that is how we’ve got to do it at Georgia Tech and we are still relatively young with not a lot of depth." The core of Tech’s basketball team returns for the 2019-20 season with only two role players, AD Gueye and Brandon Alston leaving along with bench reserve Sylvester Ogbonda.

Link
https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news...for-tech-basketball-and-pastner-going-forward

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I believe whatever punishment the NCAA gives us, should be rightful. This is absurd and disgusting. And all the respect I had for Jarrett Jack is gone. This is ridiculous. Fire Pastner and lets start over.... He has struck out in recruiting. The horrendous AD that hired him is gone. And he no longer has a football program in distress to hide behind. Doing things like losing to Gardner-Webb ( https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georg...V2RSMnq9K/ ) will only greatly accelerate things. #ChangetheCulture #Hirearealcoach

Are you writing the $8-$10 million check for his buyout? If he's not implicated, you can't fire him for cause and owe him that much as of today.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We haven't made the Tournament the last 9 seasons. It is clear coach pastner can't even cheat right. I wonder what the Memphis fans are saying now!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
So we had the second lowest attendance at just over 5,600 per game, in the ACC? I’ve heard we count all the comps., in which some schools only report paid tickets?

This can’t help season ticket renewals or trying to get a few good recruits this spring/summer to come in and help the roster.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It’s funny that this petty **** is so minor with everything going on with the FBI probe I have t heard anything on Sports radio or ESPN yet. Minus the article.
AJC is having their 15 minuets of glory with this.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think GT skates. The punishments were already handed for the most part and nothing in these allegations are new. If anything it’s a sign the this whole ordeal is about to be over.

Deleted member 2897

If we don't lose any players and everyone is generally healthy, we're going to win 20 games next year. This year's team was essentially like a first year team - Jose was one of the few guys getting a lot of playing time who was here last year, and even then he missed the end of the season last year due to injury. We'll have 4 guys rated top 125 in the country on the roster. Get yeer mindrite.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Are you writing the $8-$10 million check for his buyout? If he's not implicated, you can't fire him for cause and owe him that much as of today.
Two of the Three impending violations are NCAA Level 1(the highest of charging). He could be culpable under “The Head Coach Show Cause for Termination:”
"NCAA Division I Bylaw 11.1.1.1 states that a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach. The head coach will be held accountable for violations in the program unless he or she can rebut the presumption of responsibility."

Deleted member 2897

Two of the Three violations are NCAA Level 1(the highest of charging). He could be culpable under “The Head Coach Show Cause for Termination:”
"NCAA Division I Bylaw 11.1.1.1 states that a head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach. The head coach will
be held accountable for violations in the program unless he or she can rebut the presumption of responsibility."

That has already been resolved. Both the NCAA and GTs own investigation cleared Josh Pastner.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The entire purpose of the NCAA enforcement arm is to maintain at least the semblance of competitive balance. If we gained a competitive advantage by taking a 17 year old to a strip joint with a former player and a current player and a current assistant coach, God help us.

That said, GT reported the Labarrie violations (at least I think they did) when he was placed on leave awaiting a decision from the NCAA. We self reported the Ron Bell crap and the players were suspended. I wonder where this originated and wonder if Coach Jo's legal team is involved.

Unless I am mistaken, Carter, Jr, at age 17, should not have been inside an Atlanta strip joint. Even if he was drinking bottled water. These clubs are very careful about checking the IDs of every person who walks through the front door. I wonder what Carter's parents might have to add to this story. If they knew their under aged son was inside a strip club, they too are in trouble. If he had an ID that made him appear to be 18 when he was actually 17, it would be interesting to know where is came from. I can imagine the Atlanta Police Department might also like to know.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
That has already been resolved. Both the NCAA and GTs own investigation cleared Josh Pastner.
Not sure if Tech is put on probation for a 17 y.o. recruit in a strip club, if that would still clear him? Some of the fallout from the NCAA particularly with Mrs. Carter, the ex-player, etc., might not have been in the initial GT internal investigation? Ron Bell with the huge amount of Crawford texts, et al, are coming to light from the oversight. I don’t know, but it’s not over. We all know when Tech coaches are told not to talk, and then they do....Big Brother takes nice things away from us, although our legal counsel was told not to worry.