NCAA Baseball Tournament

Deleted member 2897

Ole miss may have just ended the dwags' season. From down 5-1 in the 8th, to winning 8-5 in the 11th.

Jeez. Georgia has a ton of talent. Were playing well earlier in the season. It’s gotta be really tough right now in their locker room. These are just college kids and baseball is everything to them. They’ve got to be really sad. The thought of it all just really warms my heart.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Jeez. Georgia has a ton of talent. Were playing well earlier in the season. It’s gotta be really tough right now in their locker room. These are just college kids and baseball is everything to them. They’ve got to be really sad. The thought of it all just really warms my heart.
They probably all had an opportunity to come to Tech, play baseball and get a meaningful degree (tic). ........ so no sympathy here either. Probably brainwashed by the “culture”

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They probably all had an opportunity to come to Tech, play baseball and get a meaningful degree (tic). ........ so no sympathy here either. Probably brainwashed by the “culture”
To be fair, Scott Strickland has a much better record than Danny Hall in the 3 years prior to this one (and a superb record before UGa at Kent State, where he led them to 4 straight NCAA Tournaments and a College World Series appearance).....so they may well be in a down year but on the edge of building a true competitor in Athens.

I know, I know...why am I saying *anything* nice about the Evil Empire?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, Scott Strickland has a much better record than Danny Hall in the 3 years prior to this one (and a superb record before UGa at Kent State, where he led them to 4 straight NCAA Tournaments and a College World Series appearance).....so they may well be in a down year but on the edge of building a true competitor in Athens.

Yeah, your messing up the whole narrative.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

It took Stricklin 6 years to win his first game in the SEC tournament. It took him 5 to win a postseason game in general at UGAg. He’s never been out of a regional at Georgia.

Considering he has first dibs on nearly every in-state kid, a much larger fanbase, tons of more money and resources to work with than Tech, and up until this year much better facilities, it should actually be pretty embarrassing that he is performing as badly as he is. Granted he (and they) caught an incredibly tough break last year with the cancelled season, it shouldn’t have taken him 7 years to build a national competitor at a resource and talent rich place like Georgia. The resource disparity alone should be enough for UGA to dominate Tech and it doesn’t happen. It’s almost like Danny Hall is a damn good coach or something. Crazy to think I know

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It took Stricklin 6 years to win his first game in the SEC tournament. It took him 5 to win a postseason game in general at UGAg. He’s never been out of a regional at Georgia.

Considering he has first dibs on nearly every in-state kid, a much larger fanbase, tons of more money and resources to work with than Tech, and up until this year much better facilities, it should actually be pretty embarrassing that he is performing as badly as he is. Granted he (and they) caught an incredibly tough break last year with the cancelled season, it shouldn’t have taken him 7 years to build a national competitor at a resource and talent rich place like Georgia. The resource disparity alone should be enough for UGA to dominate Tech and it doesn’t happen. It’s almost like Danny Hall is a damn good coach or something. Crazy to think I know

Only if you only count Georgia. Overall, Perfect Game doesn't agree. We having been getting much higher rated recruited classes overall mostly juiced from out of state.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Only if you only count Georgia. Overall, Perfect Game doesn't agree. We having been getting much higher rated recruited classes overall mostly juiced from out of state.
You and @FredJacket live out of state also, so I'm fairly certain you will agree with this. I lived in GA all my life until I moved to CT 20 years ago, and I can say with 100% certainty that our reputation out of state is MUCH higher than in-state. And georgie's is MUCH lower.

So it makes sense that we recruit well out-of-state. @eokerholm might have some thoughts on this too.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yes out of state, no one looks at going to UGA.
That is a "state" school and baseball isn't all that there. It isn't in ATL
Reputation of GT is WAY better than UGA across the country.
1621721794402.png

Talent will continue to flock to GT over UGA for baseball. WAY Better school academically, better baseball. Better location.
New facilities and DBo not withstanding. That only SWEETENS the pot and draw, NATIONALLY. Trust me!

Unless someone is a SEC fan, but why would you want to go into the SEC if you're not on a power team like Vandy or Arkansas, when you have to pay out of state fees.

If you're going to pay out of state fees you're going to go after a UNC, Clemson, Auburn, Duke, UVA, FL schools, UCLA, etc.

Out of state is TOUGH to compete price-wise. We don't get access to HOPE which allows y'all to clean up in state.
The HOPE also allows the GA schools to use more of the 11.7 to recruit out of state to make it palatable. Otherwise it's too expensive.
So that give advantage to the GA schools on out of state recruiting over other out of state schools.

Texans get a discount in ARK for waiving of up to 90% of out of state tuition. Same in Kansas, OK and NM. So a lot of kids go there.
You don't get too far away from Texas for that reason.

https://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/
1621721435105.png

1621722154383.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at these current stats and assuming to make the NCAAs a 500 ACC record is needed, UVa, UNC and L'Ville have to go at least 1-1. Duke, Pitt, Clempy, and VT could theoretically get to 500 with 4 wins (5% likely to happen).

So the tourney record is really going to matter for some teams.

BTW staring at these stats is very satisfying. (with the exception of ND)

1621767015738.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More later... but just look at RPI in here. (Duke)

View attachment 10594

And Miami. The reason is they did very well in winning games OOC. Duke 12-3 and Miami 12-2. Thank goodness, someone in the ACC had to or all the ACC rpi's would be lower.

RPI is probably "good" within +/- 20. Which isn't accurate enough for seeding to a couple of positions. So then you get to the eye test quality discussion.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
And Miami. The reason is they did very well in winning games OOC. Duke 12-3 and Miami 12-2. Thank goodness, someone in the ACC had to or all the ACC rpi's would be lower.

RPI is probably "good" within +/- 20. Which isn't accurate enough for seeding to a couple of positions. So then you get to the eye test quality discussion.
Who did Duke play to get that record?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Duke's OOC RPI, according to D1Baseball was #1 with a #10 SOS. For comparison, Louisville's was #126 and #210. Tech's was #129 and #137. Duke's only losses were to ECU (0-2, potential top 8 seed) and Coastal Carolina (2-1). 2-0 vs Liberty, who's 37-12. Beat Campbell, who's 33-14. Beat Wofford, who's 35-19. Beat UNC Greensboro, who's only 27-25 but still top 100 RPI. The only losing OOC team Duke played was William & Mary, if I'm not mistaken. Davidson was close at 24-24. Compare that to Louisville, who lost to Cincinnati (29-24, #71 RPI), Morehead State (24-21, #124 RPI), went 2-1 vs Western Illinois (11-29, #261 RPI), went 1-1 vs Eastern Kentucky (21-32, #200 RPI), and swept Bellarmine 3-0 (13-36, #271 RPI). Granted they did beat Vandy and split with Kentucky, but the OOC teams Duke played were overall much higher quality than Louisville. And they had a better record in those games.