NCAA Baseball Tournament

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
You jinxter hexers... need to find a way to counter this. 😉

Or if said Georgia Tech team takes care of business, finishes 1st in the Coastal for at worst the #2 seed in the tournament, and then wins the ACC tournament. When was the last time an ACC tournament champion didn't host a regional? Perhaps it's fitting with our ACC champion basketball team getting a 9 seed...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Or if said Georgia Tech team takes care of business, finishes 1st in the Coastal for at worst the #2 seed in the tournament, and then wins the ACC tournament. When was the last time an ACC tournament champion didn't host a regional? Perhaps it's fitting with our ACC champion basketball team getting a 9 seed...
Perhaps I should clarify to when was the last time an ACC tournament champion, who was also a top 4 seed in the tournament, didn't host a regional. I'm sure there must have been some in the last 20 years that met my first criterion.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
With a series loss to Miami, our chances of a 1 seed are probably limited to winning the next four and winning the ACC Tourney.

Just beat uGag!!!!
Eh, I wouldn't mind the 2 seed on the road. A number of the 4 seeds have 1 great pitcher that can shut most teams down, I'd prefer to avoid that, given our pitching depth deficiencies this year.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Pitt now in 6th place in the ACC. Doubt we'll see a regional in Pittsburgh... unless another #1 goes there.
The narrative at the beginning of the season was that the ACC was a deep conference. Now, I'm wondering if the ACC is just a weak conference. Pitt and ND near the top would support the former, if Tech hadn't lost to Georgia State, USC Upstate, and 2/3 to Kennesaw State, Louisville being swept by Clemson and UNC, etc., etc., etc. Not looking like a good post-season showing for the ACC based on what I've listened to. And I say what I've listened to because I intend to attend my first series since COVID shut everything down this weekend against UNC. Making the trip from Oho to Atlanta and then on to Charlotte. I hope they have gas... LFG and beat some Tar Heel a$$!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The narrative at the beginning of the season was that the ACC was a deep conference. Now, I'm wondering if the ACC is just a weak conference. Pitt and ND near the top would support the former, if Tech hadn't lost to Georgia State, USC Upstate, and 2/3 to Kennesaw State, Louisville being swept by Clemson and UNC, etc., etc., etc. Not looking like a good post-season showing for the ACC based on what I've listened to. And I say what I've listened to because I intend to attend my first series since COVID shut everything down this weekend against UNC. Making the trip from Oho to Atlanta and then on to Charlotte. I hope they have gas... LFG and beat some Tar Heel a$$!
I think it's a deep conference, but all of the teams are about even. There is no dominant team this year which is why all of the records are pretty similar.

Deleted member 2897

Yea the OOC stuff has been awful. We could complain a lot louder if not for all those bad games. In basketball, when we were laughing at how overrated the BigTen was, at least we could point to those things. We may be a very good conference (I think we are), but you can't lose so many bad games OOC.

If Pitt plays bad against @Wake and goes like 1-2, they could actually finish like 8th or 9th in the ACC if my theoretical math is correct. Pretty damned hilariously sad to give a regional to the #1 and #9 team LOLOLOLOL. With my unbiased hat on, I'd give a second regional to NC State and swap it out. There isn't arguably any hotter team than them over the last few months, and that's a good location for a regional. If you look at that Pittsburgh regional list of teams, Pitt ain't hosting. And those teams are from all over - Arizona State? Its overly manufactured. Just let it go NCAA.

Anyway, don't know if this has been posted yet, so I apologize if so...but as of a few days ago, they have us as the #2 travelling up to #1 Charlotte (I like that matchup), with f'ing georgia as the #3. :rolleyes: Just not a fan of being put in a bracket where right off from the start you have to play a team again where you already played a series this year. I mean, look at the ****ing Greenville NC bracket! LOL. Send us there, or swap us for FSU in Gainesville.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I also am wondering the same thing. We are 6-6 OOC and 4-4 to >100 rpi teams. But leading Coastal and 2nd in ACC???? Doesn't make sense if ACC is all so deep. Maybe just small numbers of OOC but 12 is a lot in a 50 game season statistically.

Regardless, ACC teams that get to the NCAAs had damn well better do good or a narrative of a weak ACC will be proven right.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I also am wondering the same thing. We are 6-6 OOC and 4-4 to >100 rpi teams. But leading Coastal and 2nd in ACC???? Doesn't make sense if ACC is all so deep. Maybe just small numbers of OOC but 12 is a lot in a 50 game season statistically.

Regardless, ACC teams that get to the NCAAs had damn well better do good or a narrative of a weak ACC will be proven right.
You may just be further highlighting problems with RPI. It could be 4-4 v 50-100 RPI. Who knows?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This article is really good. Basically... says RPI can't be used by selection committee like it has been in years past. The author starts by pointing out the "appearance" that the committee leaned heavily on it in choosing the 20 'potential' hosting sites. A bad omen... that the committee can't figure out a way to do its job without using a flawed (too flawed) metric/tool. He goes on to offer an alternative... more subjective; but imo something the committee needs to consider.

Despite having just three letters, the RPI is a four-letter word this year. After the host sites took a heavy RPI-lean, with all top 15 RPI teams (that bid) getting invitations to the hosting pool party, followed by softball awarding hosts to 15 of the RPI 16 (#17 RPI Kentucky was the only outlier), the potential for over-reliance on a flawed RPI is cause for caution.

Let’s hope this committee realizes why they can’t attach the same relevance to the RPI ranking as they do in normal years. We know, every year we hear that the RPI is “a tool”, not “the tool”. Having said that, the RPI remains the primary factor for not only hosting but determining the at-large berths.

For many programs, non-conference record/RPI has been diminished. It’s unclear how to effectively compare a bubble hopeful like VCU who played 30 non-conference games to Iowa, who didn’t play any.

The RPI tiers can be flawed as well, although if you look deeper inside the team schedules you can evaluate how those tier records are comprised.
The best evaluation is to determine how these teams fared against the kinds of opponents they would be facing in the postseason. Were they competitive with other clubs on the at-large board? And of those games, did they lose most of their games against elite teams? No one expects the #30 team to win a series from the #5 team. Did they avoid sweeps? Was the series competitive? The RPI doesn’t tell you that under the best of times.

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/on-the-mark-making-sense-of-the-rpi-in-2021/

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone noted it... but latest D1 projection (May 18th) has 10 ACC teams in the field. That suggests a strong year for the conference. SEC projected with 9. Next closest conference 6.

Teams on bubble:
Clemson IN
UGA IN
Va Tech OUT
Alabama OUT
*All 4 of these teams winless so far this week (since 5/18)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure if anyone noted it... but latest D1 projection (May 18th) has 10 ACC teams in the field. That suggests a strong year for the conference. SEC projected with 9. Next closest conference 6.

Teams on bubble:
Clemson IN
UGA IN
Va Tech OUT
Alabama OUT
*All 4 of these teams winless so far this week (since 5/18)

......... and where is uGag going to be after losing to us and Ole Miss last night 🙏🙏🙏🙏🪛🐕