NCAA Baseball Tournament

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records (through May 25) are as follows:

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (44-14-1)
  • Bloomington, Indiana – Indiana (42-13)
  • Charlottesville, Virginia – Virginia (44-13)
  • Coral Gables, Florida – Miami (Florida) (41-17)
  • Corvallis, Oregon – Oregon State (42-12)
  • Columbia, South Carolina – South Carolina (42-16)
  • Fort Worth, Texas – TCU (42-15)
  • Gainesville, Florida – Florida (40-21)
  • Houston, Texas – Rice (41-18)
  • Lafayette, Louisiana – Louisiana-Lafayette (53-7)
  • Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (45-15)
  • Nashville, Tennessee – Vanderbilt (41-18)
  • Oxford, Mississippi – Ole Miss (41-18)
  • San Luis Obispo, California – Cal Poly (45-10)
  • Stillwater, Oklahoma – Oklahoma State (45-16)
  • Tallahassee, Florida – Florida State (43-15)

Deleted member 2897

Duke's OOC RPI, according to D1Baseball was #1 with a #10 SOS. For comparison, Louisville's was #126 and #210. Tech's was #129 and #137. Duke's only losses were to ECU (0-2, potential top 8 seed) and Coastal Carolina (2-1). 2-0 vs Liberty, who's 37-12. Beat Campbell, who's 33-14. Beat Wofford, who's 35-19. Beat UNC Greensboro, who's only 27-25 but still top 100 RPI. The only losing OOC team Duke played was William & Mary, if I'm not mistaken. Davidson was close at 24-24. Compare that to Louisville, who lost to Cincinnati (29-24, #71 RPI), Morehead State (24-21, #124 RPI), went 2-1 vs Western Illinois (11-29, #261 RPI), went 1-1 vs Eastern Kentucky (21-32, #200 RPI), and swept Bellarmine 3-0 (13-36, #271 RPI). Granted they did beat Vandy and split with Kentucky, but the OOC teams Duke played were overall much higher quality than Louisville. And they had a better record in those games.

I don't really see it.
ACC: Louisville 16-16, Duke 16-17
OOC: Louisville 11-5, Duke 12-3
Overall: Louisville 27-21, Duke 28-20.
Against Top 50: Louisville 2-0, Duke 4-3.
Against Top 100: Louisville 4-2, Duke 6-3.

I mean, I can argue either one is better than the other (I would argue Duke is marginally better), but not enough for one to have a #28 RPI and the other a #67 RPI.

Supporting OOC games.

Duke
Played a great #11 East Carolina team: Lost twice.
Played a very good #26 Liberty team: Won twice.
Played a decent #38 Campbell team: Went 2-1, with one win by 1 run.
Played a good #59 Wofford: Won.
Played a so-so #98 UNC Greensboro team: Won.
Played a bad #166 Davidson: Won twice.
Played a poor #199 William & Mary team: Won.
Played a terrible #213 NC Central: Won twice.

Louisville
Played an elite #4 Vanderbilt: Won.
Played a decent #43 USC Upstate: Won.
Played a good #60 Kentucky: Went 2-1.
Played a good #71 Cincinnati: Lost in extra innings.
Played a so-so #124 Morehead State team: Lost.
Played a so-so #135 Murray State: Won.
Played a so-so #145 Western Kentucky: Won.
Played a terrible #161 Western Illinois: Went 2-1.
Played a poor #200 Eastern Kentucky: Went 1-1.
Played a terrible #271 Bellarmine: Won all three.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't really see it.
ACC: Louisville 16-16, Duke 16-17
OOC: Louisville 11-5, Duke 12-3
Overall: Louisville 27-21, Duke 28-20.
Against Top 50: Louisville 2-0, Duke 4-3.
Against Top 100: Louisville 4-2, Duke 6-3.

I mean, I can argue either one is better than the other (I would argue Duke is marginally better), but not enough for one to have a #28 RPI and the other a #67 RPI.

Supporting OOC games.

Duke
Played a great #11 East Carolina team: Lost twice.
Played a very good #26 Liberty team: Won twice.
Played a decent #38 Campbell team: Went 2-1, with one win by 1 run.
Played a good #59 Wofford: Won.
Played a so-so #98 UNC Greensboro team: Won.
Played a bad #166 Davidson: Won twice.
Played a poor #199 William & Mary team: Won.
Played a terrible #213 NC Central: Won twice.

Louisville

Bolded is what killed L'Ville (like us). Can't lose to bad team, especially on the road. Better to not play them at all as you get more rpi points from losing to a good rpi team than beating a really bad rpi team.
Louisville

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1s projection for us today. I can take being in with Oregon as a 1 seed. And Tennessee for Super Regional. Do well in the ACC Tourney and we could get an even better 2 seed.
1621896755979.png

And Pitt hanging on but L'Ville out!
1621896852871.png

1621896974527.png

It's clear to me that it's unclear for these bubble ACC teams till after the ACC Life Boat tourney. Of course, this is just D1s opinion. But they are usually pretty accurate at this time of year. Not necessarily what they think as much as what they think the NCAA will think. And their projections will change a bit with the tournaments.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
D1s projection for us today. I can take being in with Oregon as a 1 seed. And Tennessee for Super Regional. Do well in the ACC Tourney and we could get an even better 2 seed.
View attachment 10598

View attachment 10599
View attachment 10600

It's clear to me that it's unclear for these bubble ACC teams till after the ACC Life Boat tourney. Of course, this is just D1s opinion. But they are usually pretty accurate at this time of year. Not necessarily what they think as much as what they think the NCAA will think. And their projections will change a bit with the tournaments.
I'd love that bracket, other than we're on the west coast... Let's win a few games in the ACC tourney and then see where we fall!

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 10598

View attachment 10599
View attachment 10600

Wasn't uGA one of the last 5 in as recently as last week? Then they go 1-3 and somehow are solidly on the good side of the bubble?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
RockyTop Anyone?

Cringe to see NCSU ahead of us in the pecking order when we have a better ACC record against a tougher schedule and swept them on the road. Although this looks heavily geography-based.

Also if Pitt back doors into hosting as a 3 seed with ODU, UConn, and Northeastern I’m gonna lose my ****.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cringe to see NCSU ahead of us in the pecking order when we have a better ACC record against a tougher schedule and swept them on the road. Although this looks heavily geography-based.

Also if Pitt back doors into hosting as a 3 seed with ODU, UConn, and Northeastern I’m gonna lose my ****.
Geez. This better not be a possibility. I've just really assumed, the committee can justify 16 #1's out of the 20. ...but I haven't studied it too much. Are more than 4 of the 20 screwing up that bad?

ETA... OH. You weren't making that up ... I just saw the tweet. No way that's happening?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bubble teams? Should be bad news for Fairfield. Please lord Dodd... put Ga Tech in Fairfield's region.

tweet went bye bye...what did it say?

If it is that Fairfield lost today...they did, but they are in the double elimination phase of their tourney so they remain alive and will play again tomorrow...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball has been updating their projections daily as this week has progressed. Pretty sure Ga Tech has remained in their Knoxville regional as #2... every iteration.

Right now
#1 TENN
#2 Ga Tech
#3 Liberty
#4 VCU

Interesting today... the have Louisville in "first 5 out"... if true, we effectively knocked Louisville out of the tournament yesterday. 9 ACC teams in on this list.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
D1 Baseball has been updating their projections daily as this week has progressed. Pretty sure Ga Tech has remained in their Knoxville regional as #2... every iteration.

Right now
#1 TENN
#2 Ga Tech
#3 Liberty
#4 VCU

Interesting today... the have Louisville in "first 5 out"... if true, we effectively knocked Louisville out of the tournament yesterday. 9 ACC teams in on this list.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think there's some room to move up here. Beating NCSU, and potentially winning the ACC may not net us a 1-seed, but would surely pair us with a lower seeded host.

Right now
#1 TENN
#2 Ga Tech
#3 Liberty
#4 VCU

And 3 sec teams in the "Last 5 In"? I'm sure they'll find a way to em all in.