NCAA Baseball Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
well, we hosted a regional last time around and were designated as the away team twice giving the other team the decided last bat advantage. They have weird rules like that, which resulted in almost half of the #1 seeds going into the losers bracket.
Death Taxes & this ^^^ from @SnidelyWhiplash

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Great question for D1 baseball about whether a team could be #1 seed at another's host site.

I would think so. There are still two weeks and tournaments to play and some of the prospective hosts will face plant. But how likely that of the 20 sites they picked that a lower ranked team will overtake at least 5 to make it to the top 16?

As I said before, I think our OOC record took us out of consideration. But as long as we get into a bracket of #6 to #8 seed, I still think we are fine.

From what I’ve gathered from the D1B podcasts teams will be seeded according to final resumés regardless of hosting sites. Announcing 20 host sites was their way to mitigate the probability of severe f-ups (like a team ending up a 3 seed playing at home).

I’d say it’s pretty likely at least 1 team will play on the road as a 1 seed though. Somebody will get hot down the stretch from the 21-30 area. Hell the way our bullpen is developing we might end up being a candidate for that.

Deleted member 2897

So widely accepted that the ACC was the deepest conference this year. Overall records and RPIs suffer due to playing a 36 game schedule and it results in the SEC getting (potentially) 7 hosts and the ACC only 2. How is that even possible.

Well, they picked Pitt. That means after picking Notre Dame they passed 2 other ACC teams with higher win percentages to select them, which tells you they have ulterior motives #1. #2, they picked 2 teams...1 of which was not even their division leader, so that's a sign something is up #2. #3 just like Virginia Tech in basketball being rewarded, they reward a team that ducked series. Its ****ing baseball where you have how many dozens of players? There's no reason to ever not play a series. #4, Texas got what - 3 different sites? Well its a big state, so okay...but Mississippi got 3 sites. WTF?

Maybe getting ****ed and being the underdog is the ticket. I just want to get into the tournament. Doesn't matter if we're the #2 or #3 seed. I ain't skerred.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, they picked Pitt. That means after picking Notre Dame they passed 2 other ACC teams with higher win percentages to select them, which tells you they have ulterior motives #1. #2, they picked 2 teams...1 of which was not even their division leader, so that's a sign something is up #2. #3 just like Virginia Tech in basketball being rewarded, they reward a team that ducked series. Its ****ing baseball where you have how many dozens of players? There's no reason to ever not play a series. #4, Texas got what - 3 different sites? Well its a big state, so okay...but Mississippi got 3 sites. WTF?

Maybe getting ****ed and being the underdog is the ticket. I just want to get into the tournament. Doesn't matter if we're the #2 or #3 seed. I ain't skerred.

Yeah the comments on D1 baseball include those with NCAA conspiracy theories. Sound familiar?

Also butt hurt that apparently all sites will only be allowed to be at 50% capacity. Making it uniform (tic) across sites. So then it gets into politics. (I had my tin foil hat on so it bounced off me.)

I ain't scared either. This beats the hell out of last year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Completely different scenarios there. NCAAT was neutral site with limited fans. Baseball tourney is home field and the option of saving your ace for G2. The inherent advantage is significant.
Meh, baseball is different than basketball as the home field isn't as big a deal. Pitching is everything and if you only have 1 ace, you aren't going far. So, pitch your first ace G1 and your second ace G2.

Our guys are going to have to win on the Road, regardless, so it really won't matter.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Meh, baseball is different than basketball as the home field isn't as big a deal. Pitching is everything and if you only have 1 ace, you aren't going far. So, pitch your first ace G1 and your second ace G2.

Our guys are going to have to win on the Road, regardless, so it really won't matter.

Well baseball is also different than basketball as your playing in your home park in the postseason. I’d imagine home field baseball advantage is greater than basketball neutral court advantage.

1 seed can have 1 good ace, beat the 4 seed without him, beat the 2/3 with him, and then ride the home crowd to the SR with the losers bracket eating each other’s bullpens up. That’s literally my exact point.

Based on 2008-2017 tournament almost 70% of regional hosts advanced to the SRs. (We probably account for about 5% of those that didn’t.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
1 seed can have 1 good ace, beat the 4 seed without him, beat the 2/3 with him, and then ride the home crowd to the SR with the losers bracket eating each other’s bullpens up. That’s literally my exact point.

Based on 2008-2017 tournament almost 70% of regional hosts advanced to the SRs. (We probably account for 5% of those that didn’t.)
Sounds like we want to be a 4seed. (tic)

You are correct, but I think most coaches are not comfortable holding the ace out of Gm1. Same reason most coaches punt on 4th & 1. Analytics say one thing... scared says another.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Well baseball is also different than basketball as your playing in your home park in the postseason. I’d imagine home field baseball advantage is greater than basketball neutral court advantage.

Based on 2008-2017 tournament almost 70% of regional hosts advanced to the SRs. (We probably account for about 5% of those that didn’t.)
There are also those 4 seeds that have 1 really good pitcher, and then not much after that. Those are the 4 seeds that can do damage to a 1 seed's plans if that guy is on in game 1.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Well, we did lose the series to Pitt on our home field. Self inflicted Friday night loss. Have had a couple of those this year, and the two primary culprits are now in the hosting discussion. So we have no one to blame but ourselves.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Maybe they didn't like Georgia's new voting laws...(tic)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RPI SchmarRPI.

Same guy who said this series was the bi-polar bowl (hard to argue against that statistically). But we are getting good attention.

We are 4-4 against >100 rpi teams. We are 21-14 against <=100 teams. OOC rpi 158, overall 39. Sure rpi is broken, but not that broken. We are inexplicable statistically.

12-12 at home. 13-6 away. So did we really want to host?

1621076051445.png

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Same guy who said this series was the bi-polar bowl (hard to argue against that statistically). But we are getting good attention.

We are 4-4 against >100 rpi teams. We are 21-14 against <=100 teams. OOC rpi 158, overall 39. Sure rpi is broken, but not that broken. We are inexplicable statistically.

12-12 at home. 13-6 away. So did we really want to host?

View attachment 10530
RPI is too broken to be used for what it's being referenced to do (sort out field & seeding). ...I can't offer a better solution besides watching a TON of baseball games. An unrealistic amount. Won't stop me from SnidleyWhiplashing about it.

A mean... already... 1 day after the potential host sites are announced, the first place team & the FIFTH place team in the ACC are potential hosts.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RPI is too broken to be used for what it's being referenced to do (sort out field & seeding). ...I can't offer a better solution besides watching a TON of baseball games. An unrealistic amount. Won't stop me from SnidleyWhiplashing about it.

A mean... already... 1 day after the potential host sites are announced, the first place team & the FIFTH place team in the ACC are potential hosts.

Yeah but if you have an RPI> 100 you aren't very good any year.

I think we agree rpi is not precise