NCAA Baseball Tournament

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
even better, Y'all come down to Austin! How do we get that one?
1620822294231.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1 today, we are on the outside looking in for hosting but ......

1620860666665.png

We'll see. If we play well it really doesn't matter where in this crazy inconsistent COVID year. ("It's never as good as it seems or as bad as it seems" the great philosopher CPJ has said.)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
eokerholm, not sure if you're into lacrosse, but GT Lax is playing in the MCLA Invitational semi-finals vs BYU tomorrow in Round Rock, TX. Looked like Round Rock is just north of Austin. I'd be there if it wasn't over a 17 hour drive from Cincinnati...

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
eokerholm, not sure if you're into lacrosse, but GT Lax is playing in the MCLA Invitational semi-finals vs BYU tomorrow in Round Rock, TX. Looked like Round Rock is just north of Austin. I'd be there if it wasn't over a 17 hour drive from Cincinnati...
Love lacrosse! So fast and fun to watch. RR is the next town over.
I'll have to see where they're playing. Work schedule is $hit lately

damn 11:30 https://mcla.us/news/2021/05/semifinals-set-for-mcla-invitational

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, since they have waited until Friday of the "week of 5/10" to announce the regional sites, seems like they might as well wait until completion of weekend series to see if they can "glean" any more information on which teams are most deserving. What is another 3 days at this point? There could be a lot more clarity & insight on "direction" of teams for the year available after this weekend?

SJ

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So widely accepted that the ACC was the deepest conference this year. Overall records and RPIs suffer due to playing a 36 game schedule and it results in the SEC getting (potentially) 7 hosts and the ACC only 2. How is that even possible.
Well, all they have to do is go out and win and it will take care of itself. Look at what happened to the B1G in the NCAA tournament. Their overratedness was exposed.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Well, all they have to do is go out and win and it will take care of itself. Look at what happened to the B1G in the NCAA tournament. Their overratedness was exposed.

Completely different scenarios there. NCAAT was neutral site with limited fans. Baseball tourney is home field and the option of saving your ace for G2. The inherent advantage is significant.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is a good conference... top to bottom. Translation (this season)... no elite-ness has presented itself & no doormat has either. I've watched very little baseball besides Ga Tech... but if Ga Tech is a division leader in the ACC, then 2 hosts is probably about right for ACC. Maybe only 1 is right.

Is it a certainty the host will be the top seed in its regional. Isn't it possible quite a few of those teams tumble & others (not selected) get hot. Has NCAA left open possibility say... Ga Tech wins Coastal & ACC Tournament... could they be #1 seed at one of these 20 selected sites? Louisville could be in a similar position... I'm sure there are others too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ACC is a good conference... top to bottom. Translation (this season)... no elite-ness has presented itself & no doormat has either. I've watched very little baseball besides Ga Tech... but if Ga Tech is a division leader in the ACC, then 2 hosts is probably about right for ACC. Maybe only 1 is right.

Is it a certainty the host will be the top seed in its regional. Isn't it possible quite a few of those teams tumble & others (not selected) get hot. Has NCAA left open possibility say... Ga Tech wins Coastal & ACC Tournament... could they be #1 seed at one of these 20 selected sites? Louisville could be in a similar position... I'm sure there are others too.

Great question for D1 baseball about whether a team could be #1 seed at another's host site.

I would think so. There are still two weeks and tournaments to play and some of the prospective hosts will face plant. But how likely that of the 20 sites they picked that a lower ranked team will overtake at least 5 to make it to the top 16?

As I said before, I think our OOC record took us out of consideration. But as long as we get into a bracket of #6 to #8 seed, I still think we are fine.

Deleted member 2897

Completely different scenarios there. NCAAT was neutral site with limited fans. Baseball tourney is home field and the option of saving your ace for G2. The inherent advantage is significant.

well, we hosted a regional last time around and were designated as the away team twice giving the other team the decided last bat advantage. They have weird rules like that, which resulted in almost half of the #1 seeds going into the losers bracket.