@NC State

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
It wasn't one guy tonight...there gaining identity.In regards to Q kinda breaking out today has Alot to do with his character and ability to stay focused and keep playing hard and shooting the ball despite the misses piling up.He kept doing the other things all the while,rebounding out of position and defending all over the floor including around the cup.If he can continue to shoot with confidence good things will come of it.Heath came off a game vs. Clemson where he dropped a couple highlight reel dimes leading to some big buckets.10 points,10 assists 7 rebounds and another W.Okogie continues to miraculously finish and is hitting the three with more consistency,kid has a big motor and mixes it up adding to the teams defensive toughness.The reason that he scores at such a high clip is he puts himself in great position to score.He cuts hard and finishes,reads passing lanes....is sneaky lol...he's tough too boot and obviously athletic.Tadric looks good...missed a few nice takes to the hoop...finished 1 or 2...hit from deep and passed it well.Pastner looked ecstatic after the game,you gotta give it up...he puts a ton of energy into his job,the staff looks to be comprised of a real nice mix of talents.Huge win today...beating Clemson and then State on the road in the same week in today's ACC is a big accomplishment.MJ Walker is watching...

Last edited:

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't really disagree with him. He brought in a top-five recruiting class, they just are not playing up to their potential. I don't think that Gottfried is a bad coach, he just isn't reaching these kids. Those quotes are not far off from something Paul Johnson would say.
*i don't agree with the heat placed on him.

.... committed. This is insane.

This is the same team which struggled against Woffard and NC A&T.
and couldn't score hardly any points against the arse sniffers. This is going to be a dangerous team late Feb. They are going to be heart breakers for some ACC fans. Tech not included.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
VA tech will be tough to beat in there house...there going to challenge us on Alot of fronts in hostile environs with a few solid bigs and a perimeter attack which will come at us much like Clemson's perimeter people did.Notre Dame just grinded one out at VT Saturday and they didn't look overwhelming in a home loss to a steady ND squad.They'll be able to get in front of us defensively so we gotta get our rhythm and take care of the ball and play through Ben which we've had success with.He plays a little bigger than VT's only bigs LeDay 6'7",Clarke 6'6" and FR Sly 6'10" so I think we have an advantage there on both ends.He's gotta shut down the baseline where LeDay and Clarke do damage.If we can make them work hard for good looks like we did against Clemson.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
VA tech will be tough to beat in there house...there going to challenge us on Alot of fronts in hostile environs with a few solid bigs and a perimeter attack which will come at us much like Clemson's perimeter people did.Notre Dame just grinded one out at VT Saturday and they didn't look overwhelming in a home loss to a steady ND squad.They'll be able to get in front of us defensively so we gotta get our rhythm and take care of the ball and play through Ben which we've had success with.He plays a little bigger than VT's only bigs LeDay 6'7",Clarke 6'6" and FR Sly 6'10" so I think we have an advantage there on both ends.He's gotta shut down the baseline where LeDay and Clarke do damage.If we can make them work hard for good looks like we did against Clemson.
I think GT gets another victory by beating VT by 7. I like what I see from this team and Coach Pastner!

Raleigh has been a house of horrors for many Tech teams. Getting win there proves that this team can win anywhere except durham.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What is a really nice thought is that our ACC schedule is extremely front loaded. 6 of the first 9 games are/were against ranked teams, including our only games against Duke, UNC, UL, and UVA. The back 9 only has us playing one currently ranked team. With this team already having 3 wins, if they can continue to grow it's not out of the question that we match last year's 8 conference wins. The fact that we can say that at this point in the year and it not be labeled a delusional hope is amazing.

That being said, I do worry about the minutes affecting us as the year goes on.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
as i saw it. we 'ran' them out of the building. kinda.

as the game wore on and we kept attacking and attacking and attacking it seemed like they were always a player short on one end or the other . i also think that the speed at which we attacked their d in waves wore them down mentally.

i finally see cpj's stategy wrt shooting. you never want your player to think 'would coach want me to shoot this now' right before he shoots. this is especially benefiting Q. if you have a shot in your wheel house..... 'by all means take it'.

ive been no fan of his but if he keeps playing the way he does.... a complete game at both ends regardless of his shooting.... he will convert me over.

great win for the team and the program. each win will reap recruiting benefits.

go jackets

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No, we did not run them out of the building. State has a real issue with defense. Fortunately, our coaches noticed that. It is rare that 86 is not enough points to win an ACC game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I too recognize he had an off night but I love that on his "off night" he had a double-double, five blocks and two steals to only one turnover. If any of the other bigs on the team could get just those "off" numbers we would faint.

Yup.

I heard Bobby Knight say a guy can have an "off" night scoring, but if he plays hard, he'll always get his numbers in other areas. That's exactly what Lammers did tonight. Didn't make his usual shots, but played hard on the defensive end and was his usual self on the boards. You get 10rebs and 5 blocks from your Center, that's a good night regardless of the points.

Shows how high Lammers has set the bar for us fans.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yup.

I heard Bobby Knight say a guy can have an "off" night scoring, but if he plays hard, he'll always get his numbers in other areas. That's exactly what Lammers did tonight. Didn't make his usual shots, but played hard on the defensive end and was his usual self on the boards. You get 10rebs and 5 blocks from your Center, that's a good night regardless of the points.

Shows how high Lammers has set the bar for us fans.
Oh wow, you were up late too and caught my post before I decided to delete it. I had realized several people made the same point about Lammers. But I guess it does bear repeating as he deserves all the praise he gets. :)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The most impressive thing to me about Pastner so far to me is that we look well coached with one of the lesser talented rosters in the ACC (putting it nicely). I remember on a thread here right after the 2014-2015 season I was asking why people on here didn't want Pastner. @Peacone36 said he may be the best recruiter in the country, but most agreed his teams would have to out-talent the other team to consistently win. Essentially another Hewitt.

This has amazingly been the opposite so far, as we are looking extremely poised and well-coached throughout these games. I'm not sure if it's the assistant coaches, if Pastner has become a better tactical coach, our players are better than we thought coming in to the year, season, or all of the above. But if @Peacone36 is right and Pastner is an elite recruiter who can bring big-time talent here.... oh man I can't wait to see GT hoops back.