@NC State

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
I've read Alot of analysis of State,coaching let downs and overall disappointing play....with some "we're just that good" chatter.Like everything else in the world the outcome Sunday was a little of both and resulted in us handling them on the road.I look at the whole game...I'll be honest...after a few trips up and down I had a sense we were more disciplined,crisper and an overall SHARPER team.As the game unfolded Smith began to make shots...something I thought he was capable of doing.He cooled off...they rely Alot on him as a scorer,facilitator and play maker...there's Alot of standing around watching him,no back to the basket post game and a little loose on defense.They do have bigs...the Rowan kid can shoot it and they look like they have some young talent on the wing...they played more young than talented outside of Smith.We don't rely on one guy...Pastner,really due to personnel,has implemented great ball movement principles which makes us hard to game plan.So ultimately it's a combination of us being a tough out anywhere,and them not being fluid at this stage in there season...we have a legit all-American caliber big man...truly I think we haven't seen anything yet in regards to Ben's offensive output.We have a nice "system" being built around him,we are a very competitive team.State needs to get more efficiency out of Smith,Gottfried is accountable there...he has pieces to build around of all positions a point guard...shouldn't be hard to get more than they did Sunday.The power forward...Abu..is an NBA player...kid got 8 shots...unacceptable and probably half on them were offensive rebounds.I know if he played for Tech you'd see him pinning defenders down under the hoop getting fed from Ben in the high post for dunks all night...shame on them.They need to hold serve at home...bottom line.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how to copy and paste quotes from message board to message board but I found it interesting that one font at the NCST board said STTE of "Pastner, Williams, and even Christian are outcoaching our team"

Well. Forget #1 and #3 for a second. If you're surprised that Buzz Williams is outcoaching Mark Gottfried, you haven't been payin attention.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know how to copy and paste quotes from message board to message board but I found it interesting that one font at the NCST board said STTE of "Pastner, Williams, and even Christian are outcoaching our team"

Well. Forget #1 and #3 for a second. If you're surprised that Buzz Williams is outcoaching Mark Gottfried, you haven't been payin attention.

They probably meant Roy

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

One of the things I like about what our staff is doing, is that they are not asking guys to perform outside their skill set. They have built their plan around the skills we actually have. One stat I chuckle at when I read about it is that we take fewer 3-point shots than almost any other team. Well, duh. Is that good coaching? We have several guys who have pretty good skills in the open floor, so we do not pack 2-3 guys in the lane. That leaves plenty of room for Okogie, Moore and Jackson to be aggressive attacking the basket. We push the ball after every made or missed shot and take advantage of the other team's occasional laziness. On D, we are smarter than we are talented, so Pastner has us constantly changing up the zone, which gives our opponents something else to think about beside their own plan of attack. And, since we are not as talented individually, we rarely play M/M.

One of the key things here is that our guys seem to be very intelligent young men. They appear to have bought in completely to the team concept Pastner preaches. 24 assists on 31 made buckets is insane. I love the way we play, even if not always the results on the scoreboard.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry, was busy this weekend didn't get to watch this (or the Packers) until yesterday.

This was the most different win of the season to this point due to it mainly being due to offense rather than defense. More impressively, Anya probably played Lammers better than anybody all year but everyone else picked up the slack.
Q was the PoG for me. Very similar to Clemson, he simply made more shots in this game. His aggressiveness helps his whole team as the defense has to play him more and it creates more space for others.

Josh continues his excellent FR run. One thing i noticed. His 3-pt shot is very slow from a release standpoint. Something he needs to work on this summer, making that release quicker, otherwise he needs alot of space to get it off.

Moore did not play well, but Heath picked up the slack.

TJ had a nice game. didn't force much, really played within the team well.

NCST was such a disjointed team. Smith is a great player, not sure he is a great PG. Can't decide if that is because he wants to call his number too much, or if it is because no one else steps up. All i'll say is that great PG's make their teammates better, I don't see him making his teammates better.

Doubt we see another 3-pt shooting night like that all year, but it was fun to watch. Game felt almost a little out of control for alot of the 1st half - by both teams. 2nd half i thought GT played in much more control than NCST did.

If Corey is on the floor it means one of 2 things - either GT is in alot of foul trouble, or Pastner feels things are out of control and he wants someone to help settle it down.

Any road win in the ACC is a good road win so i hope the team enjoys this one. if they can win one of the next 3 that would be pretty impressive.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Something I've been thinking about WRT to Gott blaming the players instead of coaching. It was what, a 10 point game with around 3 minutes left? Instead of trying to get easy baskets and cut the lead down slowly, they resorted to cranking up highly contested 3's over and over. How in the world do you not acknowledge that as bad coaching?