@NC State

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not convinced that it's about getting elite talent. I am convinced it's about getting the right skills, team chemistry, & development through experience.

We may try to knock it out with a centerpiece annually, but Pastner is practically screaming in his pre-game pressers he's looking to build the next ND or Miami. Not Kentucky.

If Pastner can get us Mike Brey results consistently, I hope he's here for at least as long as Brey has been at ND.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
The most impressive thing to me about Pastner so far to me is that we look well coached with one of the lesser talented rosters in the ACC (putting it nicely). I remember on a thread here right after the 2014-2015 season I was asking why people on here didn't want Pastner. @Peacone36 said he may be the best recruiter in the country, but most agreed his teams would have to out-talent the other team to consistently win. Essentially another Hewitt.

This has amazingly been the opposite so far, as we are looking extremely poised and well-coached throughout these games. I'm not sure if it's the assistant coaches, if Pastner has become a better tactical coach, our players are better than we thought coming in to the year, season, or all of the above. But if @Peacone36 is right and Pastner is an elite recruiter who can bring big-time talent here.... oh man I can't wait to see GT hoops back.

I know, I was the guy who suggested Pastner. I got blasted.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I don't even know what to think anymore about this team. This is the most fun I've had watching basketball in a long time. I'm desperately trying to not make Pastner a victim of his own success in my mind, but I want more! Feels like our coaches are playing moneyball. It's like you're way better than we are talentwise but I know you aren't going to defend Okogie on the inbounds pass.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner is going to make Tech great again. This Tech team reminds me of CPH's first team in 2001-02 when all we had, in terms of guys that could be relied on, were a big - Alvin Jones and a pg - Tony Akins. Fast forward to today, and CJP has at most two reliable players - Lammers and Okogie. Despite the youth and dearth of talent on this roster, CPJ seems to be approaching the rebuliding route the right way which is teaching the team play fundamental basketball, i.e. 17-19 and 14-17 FTs from the past two games.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
as i saw it. we 'ran' them out of the building. kinda.

as the game wore on and we kept attacking and attacking and attacking it seemed like they were always a player short on one end or the other . i also think that the speed at which we attacked their d in waves wore them down mentally.

i finally see cpj's stategy wrt shooting. you never want your player to think 'would coach want me to shoot this now' right before he shoots. this is especially benefiting Q. if you have a shot in your wheel house..... 'by all means take it'.

ive been no fan of his but if he keeps playing the way he does.... a complete game at both ends regardless of his shooting.... he will convert me over.

great win for the team and the program. each win will reap recruiting benefits.

go jackets
I think it was brilliant to put Heyward in to guard their point guard late in the 2nd half. The PG was getting tired and Heyward hounded him to the
point of him forcing shots and wearing himself out.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I did not think Tech could win this kind of high scoring game. I underestimated NCSU's defensive woes.

I was not put off by Gott's press conference. He should be pissed and their fans would have literally stormed the gates if he took the positive route with another they got better quote. And btw he was right to focus on the gorilla in the room

I really enjoy pastner's pressors. he is very straightforward about everything. They moved the ball and made shots. D was okay but they won because they made shots. Loved the commentary about being told he would be COY with one win and putting a big bonus on it

2 random thoughts. This team is one of the best interior passing teams I have seen. Mostly but not all due to Lammers. Every game there are a couple of close in passes that you normally don't see. And the best coaching CJP may have done was not letting the Duke loss and the margin of that loss bring the team down. I was worried about that and they burned the tape really well. Just ask NCSU how hard that is to do after their UNC debacle.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And the best coaching CJP may have done was not letting the Duke loss and the margin of that loss bring the team down. I was worried about that and they burned the tape really well. Just ask NCSU how hard that is to do after their UNC debacle.

This is critical.. Since that debacle, we have played some of our best basketball of the season. Winning 2 of our last 3 and giving an excellent Louisville team fits. If our offense keeps playing this well, we will win at least 3-4 more.

Coach Pastner has done an excellent job of getting these guys to buy-in and take on his persona. Everything they do is 110% and everyone one of our guys plays hard from beginning to end. Personally, I love this brand of basketball.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'm not convinced that it's about getting elite talent. I am convinced it's about getting the right skills, team chemistry, & development through experience.

We may try to knock it out with a centerpiece annually, but Pastner is practically screaming in his pre-game pressers he's looking to build the next ND or Miami. Not Kentucky.

If Pastner can get us Mike Brey results consistently, I hope he's here for at least as long as Brey has been at ND.

I agree with this for the most part, but let's not pretend ND and Miami don't have great talent when they're at their best. I don't necessarily mean they had Top 5 picks, but guys like Pat Connaughton, Demetrius Jackson, Jerian Grant, and Zach Auguste were great recruits AND were developed at ND. Miami at their best had guys like Shane Larkin, Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji, and Sheldon McClellan who again were highly touted recruits and were developed in college.

I don't think right skills, team chemistry, & development through experience will result in consistent winning seasons and postseason success in the ACC without guys who are at worst fringe NBA players. I am convinced it's about getting both elite/great/NBA talent and developing them while they're here. I don't think one or the other works, and I don't think anyone would ever expect GT to be Kentucky. If Pastner gives us Mike Brey results, I don't see any way it's by not getting elite talent and subsequently developing them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with this for the most part, but let's not pretend ND and Miami don't have great talent when they're at their best. I don't necessarily mean they had Top 5 picks, but guys like Pat Connaughton, Demetrius Jackson, Jerian Grant, and Zach Auguste were great recruits AND were developed at ND. Miami at their best had guys like Shane Larkin, Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji, and Sheldon McClellan who again were highly touted recruits and were developed in college.

I don't think right skills, team chemistry, & development through experience will result in consistent winning seasons and postseason success in the ACC without guys who are at worst fringe NBA players. I am convinced it's about getting both elite/great/NBA talent and developin them while they're here. I don't think one or the other works, and I don't think anyone would ever expect GT to be Kentucky. If Pastner gives us Mike Brey results, I don't see any way it's by not getting elite talent and subsequently developing them.

No denying that both schools have recruited really well and you're now seeing both get higher & higher ranked recruits. By elite talent, I mean the Top 25, 5* kids everyone has been clamoring for since Pastner arrived with his rep for recruiting. I'd rather get kids from 26-100 or outside the top 100 (like our 2 2017 commits I think will be really good for us) that are here for a while & win games than get burger boys that don't gel well and cost us wins because of it.

Meanwhile...