@NC State

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
Reveno was responsible for scouting CU and UNC. anyone concerned that we'll lose him soon to a better coaching position? I'm also curious if Pastner would consider taking a HC job at Arizona if the position was offered.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Reveno was responsible for scouting CU and UNC. anyone concerned that we'll lose him soon to a better coaching position? I'm also curious if Pastner would consider taking a HC job at Arizona if the position was offered.

Interesting thoughts. I think we all kinda expect Reveno to leave for a HC gig. Good problem to have provided we're able to find a replacement with similar pedigree.

Would CJP take the AZ gig if offered? I think he would, however, I don't see Miller going anywhere anytime soon. Even if CPast did end up leaving, I'd prefer that to having to fire/buyout a guy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thoughts. I think we all kinda expect Reveno to leave for a HC gig. Good problem to have provided we're able to find a replacement with similar pedigree.

Would CJP take the AZ gig if offered? I think he would, however, I don't see Miller going anywhere anytime soon. Even if CPast did end up leaving, I'd prefer that to having to fire/buyout a guy.

That is a high quality problem. And one I am not going to worry about. I hope to hadies that every time a coaching vacancy comes up our guys are mentioned. The alternative is where we have been

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AZ is a very good job with a lot of resources, so they are going to get top tier coaches. If Pastner leaves for AZ, then it's because he would have had great success at GT. Having great success at GT means we're FAR more attractive to other coaches and recruits then what CJP inherited.

It's not a problem as much as it's a rich person's dilemma.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
AZ is a very good job with a lot of resources, so they are going to get top tier coaches. If Pastner leaves for AZ, then it's because he would have had great success at GT. Having great success at GT means we're FAR more attractive to other coaches and recruits then what CJP inherited.

It's not a problem as much as it's a rich person's dilemma.
It's also really premature to fret over these scenarios. I juat am glad we are seeing good basketball while paying three head coaches!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My WAG is 8 to 10.
I think you are basically saying he won't get it.

If you just look at our schedule, it is about to become more daunting than before. This week we're on the road at VPI and UVA, then we host FSU and ND. Maybe we ought to give him the award if he wins one of those four games.

Then head out to play at Clemson and at Wake. Winning one of those games will be difficult, but probably our next best chance. Then we have a stretch of four games where we get BC, Syracuse, and NC State at home. If all the stars are in alignment, those could be wins. The fourth game is at Miami and we never play well down there. And, I predict Larranga will get them back into the Top 25 by then.

So, at that point we have three games left. The first is at ND, followed by Pitt at Home then we travel to Syracuse. Even if we have seven wins at this point, I would not bet on us winning any of the three. It is hard to see us getting 8 ACC wins, much less 10.

So, here is my prediction, which is far more optimistic than the one I made earlier in the season:

@VPI - L
@UVA - L
FSU - L
ND - L
@ Clemson - L
@ Wake - W
BC - W
@Miami - L
Cuse - W
State - W
@ND - L
Pitt - L
@Cuse - L

This would have us with an ACC record of 7-11. Back in November, would you have accepted that?

slugboy

Staff member
Come for the mediocre article, stay for the video of Lauren Brownlow being totally annoyed at NC State.

Yeah, I followed Twitter during the game. Brownlow--who I really like to follow for ACC sports--was revolted by NC State's play. The video is funny. Must be nice to have good basketball coverage locally.
Kind of sick of the other teams saying "can you believe we lost to THEM".
Hearing them talk about Duke and Louisville reminds me how much I would have LOVED a win over either (especially Duke) this year.
I looked over at KenPom.com. We've moved up to #112 over there. We were at 154 when we played UNC. NC State is #73. That and RPI are really slow adjusting measures. NC State is #48 in RPI. We're up to #89 in RPI.
Re: Pastner taking AZ--I'd like to see an above-500 conference record before we break out that talk, OK?
Regarding winnable remaining games, I think Syracuse is winnable.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i watched the 30 minute segment on cpj called "driven" if i remember the name correctly. he said he wanted to be part of building a program. i dont see az as being that kind of program.

given his past academic accomplishments which are noteworthy. i have to think that a place like gt holds a special place in his heart. ie we actually have student athletes here who go on to do great things outside of sports. az is a party school is it not?

imma going to just sit back and enjoy the games one by one.

go jackets

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Anyone would be silly NOT to take the AZ job. It's probably a top.....7?.....job in the country. But where is Sean Miller going? My guess is nowhere. He's there for the long haul. They love him in Tuscon and he has continued Lute Olsens tradition of recruiting great players.

If Miller were to leave I doubt Pastner would be in their top 5. He has some stank on him from Memphis whether it was warranted or not. Plus they can pay top dollar to a guy like Marshall, Kristowiak, Enfield etc.