Mutts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With this much publicity, eventually something has to give, right?

"Of course, UGA football’s fixer, Bryan Gantt, was there when Jarrett was questioned. Police have allowed Gantt extraordinary access when Smart’s players are accused of crimes.

I’m all for due process. UGA athletics should protect the rights of athletes who face legal jeopardy. It’s not necessarily nefarious for Gantt to help players. I do wish that all people had the same assistance, and not just players who are making millions of dollars for the football program that pays them no salary.

But it’s improper and immoral if Gantt’s help goes beyond counseling players and he uses the power granted to him by Smart to influence investigations or oppose accusers. The AJC’s reporting shows that Gantt did both things when police arrested UGA linebacker Adam Anderson in 2021.

A woman who worked at the football office accused Anderson of sexually assaulting her while she was unconscious. The accuser watched as Gantt and eight UGA players advocated for Anderson’s release at a bond hearing. She told the AJC that she felt intimidated when Gantt stared at her.

That courtroom scene had nothing to do with due process. It was more like a UGA football production to intimidate the accuser. So far, no one associated with UGA has said it was wrong. All we get from UGA are carefully worded statements that largely avoid answering any details revealed by the AJC’s reporting.

Anderson’s defense attorney told the judge that he’d gotten Smart’s permission to have the players attend the hearing. UGA athletics denied that Smart “instructed or authorized” the players to go. Are we supposed to believe that a lawyer lied to the judge about the circumstances? Is it plausible that Smart told his players not to attend the hearing, but they did so anyway?"

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
"She was further traumatized, she said, when the university sent the judge documents about another sexual assault she experienced years earlier. Investigators substantiated her allegation in that case, and the school punished her attacker through a confidential student disciplinary process, according to the woman and her lawyer, Lisa Anderson, executive director of the nonprofit legal aid organization Atlanta Women for Equality. The assailant was not a student-athlete.

Federal law requires schools to keep such records confidential, said Abigail Boyer, associate executive director of the Clery Center, a nonprofit that tracks campus safety issues.

The athletic association, however, said the university “responded appropriately to a validly issued subpoena” from Anderson’s attorney, even though it did so before a judge rejected a challenge to the subpoena."
Also in this article it says that an athletic association employee who alleged that a player raped her while she was unconscious was intimidated by Gantt staring at her during the bail hearing for the alleged attacker. The bail hearing that you referenced above where multiple players were at to advocate for the players release.

If I recall correctly, the biggest issue at Baylor was that victims of sexual assault at the hands of football players were intimidated and pushed into recanting or dropping the accusations. This article indicates that at UGA the same thing is happening. On top of that, it indicates that there is an athletic department employee who is directing the path of the investigations to the Athens-Clark County Police. Unless I am mistaken, an outside, uninvolved individual should not be directing the investigation and should not be in the room when witnesses nor potential perpetrators are being questioned. It appears that the ACCP are happy to let Gantt provide counseling and comfort to accused football players and recruits, and are happy to allow him in the room to intimidate potential corroborating witnesses from making statements. If things like this are actually happening routinely, the GBI should investigate the ACCP's procedures and investigations.

EDIT: I just saw your latest post. As much as I like the piling on, I don't have much respect for Cunningham.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know how the BOR sits quietly and watches all this
They will watch or ignore it until it is a problem for them, and only then will they do something—if even then.

If Brian Kemp wants them to do something, he’ll let them know. Otherwise, they do other things. And I’m sure the Governor likes having that particular team going for a national title again.

I am not trying to move this post in a political direction—I’d prefer the opposite—I’m simply saying that the state government, the GBI, most of the legislature, the governor, the BOR, and others are more inclined to see UGA keep winning than they are to bring the hammer down.

What is more likely is a quiet word to “tone it down a bit” and “get rid of some of the troublemakers”. That might actually be happening.

If you see a player or two kicked off the team (probably some that don’t start), then it happened

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With this much publicity, eventually something has to give, right?

"Of course, UGA football’s fixer, Bryan Gantt, was there when Jarrett was questioned. Police have allowed Gantt extraordinary access when Smart’s players are accused of crimes.

I’m all for due process. UGA athletics should protect the rights of athletes who face legal jeopardy. It’s not necessarily nefarious for Gantt to help players. I do wish that all people had the same assistance, and not just players who are making millions of dollars for the football program that pays them no salary.

But it’s improper and immoral if Gantt’s help goes beyond counseling players and he uses the power granted to him by Smart to influence investigations or oppose accusers. The AJC’s reporting shows that Gantt did both things when police arrested UGA linebacker Adam Anderson in 2021.

A woman who worked at the football office accused Anderson of sexually assaulting her while she was unconscious. The accuser watched as Gantt and eight UGA players advocated for Anderson’s release at a bond hearing. She told the AJC that she felt intimidated when Gantt stared at her.

That courtroom scene had nothing to do with due process. It was more like a UGA football production to intimidate the accuser. So far, no one associated with UGA has said it was wrong. All we get from UGA are carefully worded statements that largely avoid answering any details revealed by the AJC’s reporting.

Anderson’s defense attorney told the judge that he’d gotten Smart’s permission to have the players attend the hearing. UGA athletics denied that Smart “instructed or authorized” the players to go. Are we supposed to believe that a lawyer lied to the judge about the circumstances? Is it plausible that Smart told his players not to attend the hearing, but they did so anyway?"
To state the obvious, this is the way a crime syndicate deals lawsuits.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If you see a player or two kicked off the team (probably some that don’t start), then it happened
I fully expect that the result of this will be a small group of players being kicked off of the team to show how strict the discipline is there. The ones kicked off will be ones who were not going to be stars anyway, and the offenses that get them kicked off will likely be much less than those affecting starters who will remain on the team. They will use the sacrificial lambs as "proof" that they have a disciplined culture even though actual troublemakers will still be on the team with no repercussions.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I fully expect that the result of this will be a small group of players being kicked off of the team to show how strict the discipline is there. The ones kicked off will be ones who were not going to be stars anyway, and the offenses that get them kicked off will likely be much less than those affecting starters who will remain on the team. They will use the sacrificial lambs as "proof" that they have a disciplined culture even though actual troublemakers will still be on the team with no repercussions.
The NCAA endorses this post also!

You’re completely right. They’re all hoping for someone inconsequential to step out of line so they can make a statement about how seriously they deal with these types of transgressions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At this point, it's an epidemic:

Georgia said it does not suspend players for speeding tickets or minor traffic violations, “but we do pursue appropriate action. In response to the severity of more recent behavior, we proactively introduced punitive measures to heighten consequences.”

Georgia athletics says players who have a Super Speeder violation will have one-on-one meetings with athletic director Josh Brooks to “address high-risk behavior.”

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Georgia said it does not suspend players for speeding tickets or minor traffic violations, “but we do pursue appropriate action. In response to the severity of more recent behavior, we proactively introduced punitive measures to heighten consequences.”

Georgia athletics says players who have a Super Speeder violation will have one-on-one meetings with athletic director Josh Brooks to “address high-risk behavior.”

I don't see hardly any uga fans even remotely hinting at this being a problem. I mean, I expect that with a lot of them but thought some might at least acknowledge some issues.

My favorite and constant lines from them on Twitter, etc:

"Boys will be boys"

"Everyone does it" (300+ driving violations as a team the last 5 years; still waiting to see Tech's proof of 300)

"It's just speedin' tickets"

"Kirby's handlin' it"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't see hardly any uga fans even remotely hinting at this being a problem. I mean, I expect that with a lot of them but thought some might at least acknowledge some issues.

My favorite and constant lines from them on Twitter, etc:

"Boys will be boys"

"Everyone does it" (300+ driving violations as a team the last 5 years; still waiting to see Tech's proof of 300)

"It's just speedin' tickets"

"Kirby's handlin' it"

"It ain't like they killed somebody." - UGA fans

The rest of us ...
Argue Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Yikes, that AD will never have time to do anything productive other than constantly clearing his schedule to have ANOTHER meeting to address “high-risk behavior”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After 10 instances of speeding way over the limit, Smart said they are doing all they can to educate these young men. Well, is that surprising? Withholding playing time hasn't been considered so far as anyone can tell.

slugboy

Staff member
After 10 instances of speeding way over the limit, Smart said they are doing all they can to educate these young men. Well, is that surprising? Withholding playing time hasn't been considered so far as anyone can tell.
They’re going to show “The Fast and the Furious 9” again to hammer home the meaning of family and safe driving

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Kinda funny. A main example pulled is the original article said that a uga star player led police on a high speed pursuit through campus. The school said it was on the bypass.

"This also comes at a time when the head football coach is a week away from speaking with reporters at SEC Media Days in Nashville. So, Kirby Smart will have this letter to fall-back on when asked certain questions regarding the matter."

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

HCKS can't figure out how to keep his players on the field from speeding. This guy is playing dumb to an amazing level even for a mutt.

As a former college athlete, only 1 thing kept us from crossing lines, loss of playing time. We did dumb college kid stuff, but when the threat or knowledge of losing playing time was in the air, we were choirboys. The solution is easy, its the implementation of it thats hard, especially when making 10million a year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

HCKS can't figure out how to keep his players on the field from speeding. This guy is playing dumb to an amazing level even for a mutt.

As a former college athlete, only 1 thing kept us from crossing lines, loss of playing time. We did dumb college kid stuff, but when the threat or knowledge of losing playing time was in the air, we were choirboys. The solution is easy, its the implementation of it thats hard, especially when making 10million a year.
Poor Kirby just can't figure it out:

From the article:
Coach Kirby Smart acknowledged Tuesday that he is still struggling to find a way to persuade his Georgia players to slow down when driving, even after a player and employee were killed in a January crash.
“I wish we could prevent the speeding issues and learn from the horrific tragic event,” Smart said Tuesday. “I’m still wrestling with that. We talk about as a staff all the things we can do.”

Well, duh.