Mutts

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing. I don't think it has to be corrupt. You're in the position that Georgia is in, you have your pick of kids. Not all elite, winning athletes are scourges of society. Their culture is this way because they want it to be. The tail ain't wagging the dog there.

And, as @slugboy said, there's no way I'm letting my daughter be part of that. And, if my sons are good enough to make it there, all that tells me is they don't have to be there. So they won't be.

And, can we call it what it is? These girl-parents know what their kid is in for. How sick is that?

I get it. She's an adult and can make her own decisions. But .... all I know is, kg02 ain't gonna be anybody's recruiting hoe-stess.
Agree that it doesn’t have to be this way. KS apparently thinks he will miss out on having an edge with the best athletes if he tells a few them to take a hike until they get their act together.

Sadly, where I live, there are three times as many Georgia flags in yards as there were even two years ago. And easily half the young women and men I see are wearing uga shirts. The general perception is that uga is wholesome place to be.

slugboy

Staff member
Agree that it doesn’t have to be this way. KS apparently thinks he will miss out on having an edge with the best athletes if he tells a few them to take a hike until they get their act together.

Sadly, where I live, there are three times as many Georgia flags in yards as there were even two years ago. And easily half the young women and men I see are wearing uga shirts. The general perception is that uga is wholesome place to be.
He is competing against Bama and Ohio State and Texas and Southern Cal and about ten other teams. Saban at least gives lip service to discipline, although we’ve seen that their AA will support players in legal trouble.
Texas A&M showed recently that they would buy the number one recruiting class. Kirby Smart is competing with that.
Kirby is in the game for national titles. With support of his AA and donors, he will push the line as far as he needs to in order to win. It looks like he will do what Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney won’t do.
I know this can come off like a rant, but the news reports are showing that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I am considering getting and AJC subscription at the Peachtree Road Race Expo Sunday if they keep up their digging into the mutts. And the funny thing is, we all know the AJC cares more about the mutts success than ours, even though we're in the same city.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He is competing against Bama and Ohio State and Texas and Southern Cal and about ten other teams. Saban at least gives lip service to discipline, although we’ve seen that their AA will support players in legal trouble.
Texas A&M showed recently that they would buy the number one recruiting class. Kirby Smart is competing with that.
Kirby is in the game for national titles. With support of his AA and donors, he will push the line as far as he needs to in order to win. It looks like he will do what Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney won’t do.
I know this can come off like a rant, but the news reports are showing that.
Saban and Dabo seem to have lines they will not cross. If Kirby has a line it doesn’t seem to exist within our galaxy.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
At Southern Illinois, of course.

LSU just got probation. However, it was “forfeit your wins, your previous self-imposed penalties are fine, no sanctions going forward”. Their probation is “you have to tell recruits you are on probation”; that’s it.

Well at least LSU lost some scholarships.

I'd faint if that actually happened to UGA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Being picked nationally as well...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...BEqv6aJGXQquSuCMW_wvJKMY8#ljhc3n00wdgklrkvrwq

"Though Smart has insisted there’s no culture problem in his program, the reality is that Georgia has built an entire infrastructure to help minimize legal issues involving players and keep them out of public view. The so-called internal discipline rarely leads to game suspensions or dismissals from the team. "

"Nobody knew about those incidents before January. But the tragedy provided an opening for people to start poking around at what was going on in Smart’s program besides the championships and assembly line of NFL Draft picks.

It hasn’t been a good look, to say the least.

Many Georgia fans will, of course, rally to Smart’s defense because they are in the midst of the school’s most successful run ever. Fans generally don’t want to know how the sausage is made when they win, win, and win some more.

But history shows that there’s a corrosive effect to covering up or minimizing these issues, when a coach’s sole focus is winning at the expense of all else.

What afflicts a program off the field will eventually seep into the product on the field. Happens every time."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
1688079690257.png

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kirby Smart could shoot somebody in the middle of Sanford Stadium and fans would still want him as coach.

I think I must not be a true sports fan because if Tech was this corrupt, even if we were winning, I would be troubled by it rather than giving my unconditional support.

What are the conversations being had in dog households about all this? Blaming the ajc for not leaving well enough alone? Blaming the accusers since they 'knew what they were there for? Flat out denial?

Seriously, how are they justifying all this? Some of yall have dawg friends. I don't really (he said with just the right amount of personal pride ;)). Curious how they're taking this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What are the conversations being had in dog households about all this? Blaming the ajc for not leaving well enough alone? Blaming the accusers since they 'knew what they were there for? Flat out denial?

Seriously, how are they justifying all this? Some of yall have dawg friends. I don't really (he said with just the right amount of personal pride ;)). Curious how they're taking this.
Son in law who was in red coat marching band and is a huge fan. It’s no even on his radar. My take is that non-uga fans are paying more attention to this than the average dawg fan.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

The dwags I’ve talked to are all saying that the AJC and Athens-CC police have it in for them. They say that other schools like Bama, Texas, and Ohio State have players that do the same thing all the time, but THEIR local cops and journalists are always covering up for the program rather that calling it out.

As if that actually excuses what is happening in Athens…

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Son in law who was in red coat marching band and is a huge fan. It’s no even on his radar. My take is that non-uga fans are paying more attention to this than the average dawg fan.
Call me a cynic but I think it’s being ignored because people largely fall into two camps:
A. Tune in on Saturday to bark at the TV and don’t pay any attention to anything that happens on Sunday - Friday (and especially the off season).
B. Largely believe that this goes on everywhere and the spotlight has only shifted to Athens due to recent on field success.
Both of these groups whether they realize it or not, are condoning and defending these actions.
Everyone on here is in a very small third group of UGAg rival fans who actually pay attention to more than just Saturday results. We probably have some like minded allies in Gainesville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa and Columbia, but the two groups above will tell you it’s just sour grapes.
I hate that allegiance to teams (and many other groups in our society) has to start with the notion that all actions of said group are beyond reproach so long as those means are in pursuit of the common end.

And props to @GTpdm for beating me to it

slugboy

Staff member
The dwags I’ve talked to are all saying that the AJC and Athens-CC police have it in for them. They say that other schools like Bama, Texas, and Ohio State have players that do the same thing all the time, but THEIR local cops and journalists are always covering up for the program rather that calling it out.

As if that actually excuses what is happening in Athens…

When I look at the coverage of the Darius Miles Alabama shooting that involved Brandon Miller, the coverage was from the New York Times and ESPN and national papers.* It’s hard to find a local byline. So, when a UGA fan says Alabama journalists cover up for their team, they have some evidence.

However, saying that the police and journalists in another part of the country are corrupt isn’t justification for this. It’s like defending mobsters in Chicago because there are mobsters in NYC and Boston.

There’s also reason to believe that UGA is giving graduate classes in collusion with the local cops while everyone else is doing high school work.

*(The story was so bad that Charlotte drafted Miller second in this year’s NBA draft [sarcasm]).

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Big nothing burger. Even the tragic accident in January that cost the lives of 2 young people, my friends were saying the school/team aren't responsible and that the player killed made a dumb decision to get in a ca with a drunk driver.

Pretty sad.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm still waiting on them to show me all this GT reckless driving the last 5 years. I guess Atlanta PD has covered up 300 violations. "EvErYoNe DoEs It."