Mutts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hit ESPN as well...

The crash occurred hours after Georgia celebrated its second straight national championship with an on-campus parade. After the wreck, the athletic association issued a statement that said in part that "rental vehicles were to be turned in at the immediate conclusion of recruiting duties."

"On the evening of the Championship Celebration, LeCroy told Ms. Bowles that she [LeCroy] had 'permission' to keep the SUV 'until tomorrow,'" the lawsuit said. "Numerous text messages from recruiting staff supervisors to LeCroy, Ms. Bowles and other staff members show the Association's statement is false. Recruiting staff were regularly informed they could leave their personal vehicles overnight at the Butts-Mehre football facility and permissively use Association rental vehicles through a specified cut-off date and time, unrelated to their assigned recruiting activity duties."

The lawsuit also alleges that the athletic association was negligent in allowing LeCroy to drive the SUV during her duties. Bowles' lawyers contend that athletic officials were aware that "LeCroy had at least four speeding tickets, which included two 'super speeder' violations under Georgia law." The lawsuit claims LeCroy's supervisor was in the car when she received her most recent super speeder ticket on Oct. 30 while driving home from the Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville, Florida.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We all know the last thing uga wants is for this to go to trial. I'm hoping it does because the AA got caught lying AFTER THE DEATH OF A PLAYER AND STAFF MEMBER!
Just speculation, but I would think that these lawyers have spoken with their athletic department. It seems like a major PR fail to allow this story to be made public a couple of days after pulling PR stunts to isolate Kirby next week. I can't fathom why they didn't just pay a confidential settlement to her to keep this lawsuit and information from becoming public.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just speculation, but I would think that these lawyers have spoken with their athletic department. It seems like a major PR fail to allow this story to be made public a couple of days after pulling PR stunts to isolate Kirby next week. I can't fathom why they didn't just pay a confidential settlement to her to keep this lawsuit and information from becoming public.
When you look at the terrible injuries suffered by Ms. Bowles, the reason might be that she is seeking an enormous sum of money and they just couldn't come to an agreement. If they felt they could save eight figures by fighting it, the pups' calculation may be that they would be better off taking their chances in court and take the PR hit. I hope they're wrong. The article didn't say how much is being sought by Ms. Bowles, but Mr. Willock is seeking $40 million in his suit.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When you look at the terrible injuries suffered by Ms. Bowles, the reason might be that she is seeking an enormous sum of money and they just couldn't come to an agreement. If they felt they could save eight figures by fighting it, the pups' calculation may be that they would be better off taking their chances in court and take the PR hit. I hope they're wrong. The article didn't say how much is being sought by Ms. Bowles, but Mr. Willock is seeking $40 million in his suit.
You hope it hurts enough that they actually re-examine how they are running things. All the pain of losing big cases and getting bad PR would be worth it if it saves one life.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You hope it hurts enough that they actually re-examine how they are running things. All the pain of losing big cases and getting bad PR would be worth it if it saves one life.
This. They, the mutts, came out and said they wouldn't change a single thing. That was their miscalculation. They should have said we are reviewing every word in our SOP and will make changes where they need to be made so this never happens again. This could get ugly.
And any new evidence that is brought out 8n a civil suit, could be enough to charge Carter with additional crimes.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
uga’s assistant athletic director Magdi El Shahawy (since 2018) turned in his resignation yesterday. Small sacrificial lambs lining up perhaps or maybe he wants out before his name/image is tarnished if things really start to spiral. Who knows or maybe he’s pursuing a larger role at another university.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Deputy Athletic Director not an Assistant Athletic Director. Here’s a link to the story from a different source. Summary the reason given was he has “just gotten burned out and it’s having a negative impact on his personal family life. So he’s stepping away after a 30 year career but may return when the timing is right. “

So his title is more of an oxymoron director of academics and student development. Academics being in question when Bennett can be a 6 year and multi year starting quarterback and leave without an obtaining even a General Studies degree (if even offered). I still can’t wrap my head around that and how he could have been making/showing progress towards a degree he couldn’t acquire in 6 years. Then the student development part with so many off the field and character related issues going on. Seems more like a forced resignation or PR stunt.
Link:https://www.wrdw.com/2023/07/13/uga-deputy-athletic-director-steps-down-position/?outputType=amp

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What he was working hard on were slick ways of keeping players eligible - at Ugag euphemistically referred to as "academics".
Not working hard enough if 54% graduation rate (47% for Black players) is good enough at uga. GT is graduating 88% of football players (89% for all graduates). There ought to be at least an attempt at academics.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not working hard enough if 54% graduation rate (47% for Black players) is good enough at uga. GT is graduating 88% of football players (89% for all graduates). There ought to be at least an attempt at academics.
But that's in spite of his efforts. Had he not been there, I imagine it may be closer to 20%.
Besides, graduating and staying eligible are two different things. If he kept them eligible, that's all his job required of him. After the end of eligibility, he was done with them.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

(u)GA's attorney:
"Under no circumstances were recruiting staff authorized to use rental cars to drive at excessive speeds while intoxicated.”

Well duh, *******. The point is not that you authorized it...the point was that you continually allowed it, over and over again, even after you knew it was a problem.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Deputy Athletic Director not an Assistant Athletic Director. Here’s a link to the story from a different source. Summary the reason given was he has “just gotten burned out and it’s having a negative impact on his personal family life. So he’s stepping away after a 30 year career but may return when the timing is right. “

So his title is more of an oxymoron director of academics and student development. Academics being in question when Bennett can be a 6 year and multi year starting quarterback and leave without an obtaining even a General Studies degree (if even offered). I still can’t wrap my head around that and how he could have been making/showing progress towards a degree he couldn’t acquire in 6 years. Then the student development part with so many off the field and character related issues going on. Seems more like a forced resignation or PR stunt.
Link:https://www.wrdw.com/2023/07/13/uga-deputy-athletic-director-steps-down-position/?outputType=amp
More than likely the case, however there is an outside chance that he really does feel “burned out.” Holding your nose while working in a program that contorts every loophole to keep 4 & 5 star players eligible, while watching student safety tank, would burn out most normal people.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
(u)GA's attorney:
"Under no circumstances were recruiting staff authorized to use rental cars to drive at excessive speeds while intoxicated.”

Well duh, *******. The point is not that you authorized it...the point was that you continually allowed it, over and over again, even after you knew it was a problem.
“While intoxicated” is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this legal argument from the lawyer.