Mutts

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I just want to go on record (broken record since I keep repeating myself) that my feelings about uga are never good but this is over and above that and is a level of disgust I would feel toward any university that ran a program this way.

It’s horrible, scary, disgusting and sickening. It cheapens college athletics as a whole and makes me think national championships are phony and tawdry. I do not want college athletics to be like this. I want students to be reasonably safe and to abide by a few rules. I want parents to be proud of the education their children are getting and students to be taught valuable lessons about life. I want the competition to be honest. I want clean old fashioned hate.

This is all so sleazy.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
And right in front of the donors, too. How embarassing.

"Exactly how Smart punishes players is unclear. In one instance, in 2019, he ordered six players who had been arrested over the previous six weeks to run the steps of Sanford Stadium in front of a select audience of donors to Georgia’s athletics department. Otherwise, he routinely declines to disclose disciplinary actions after players break team rules or the law."
1686484149874.gif

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The latest from the AJC. On the front page this time, not relegated to the sports section.

"“Everybody wants to know what the punishment is,” Smart said after a recent run of arrests. “Well, the players know what the punishment is.”

Well, there you go. That might be the problem. They know the punishment — yet don’t think its bad enough to stop them from what they’re doing."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Another quote:

"My advice to Coach Smart: Demand players put governors on their cars. Or glue blocks of wood under their accelerators.

They’ll hate it. But it may keep someone breathing."

THWG

Helluva Engineer

They made the headlines for ESPN today.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Quote from the ESPN article:

"The records show that a repeat traffic offender has been running back Kendall Milton, who has been cited for four moving violations in Athens-Clarke County since July 2021 -- three times for speeding and once for "failure to maintain lane/improper driving on road." They all resulted in fines, according to court records.

Then in February -- one month after the deadly crash -- multiple calls came into Athens-Clarke County police complaining of cars street racing, revving engines, burning rubber and doing doughnuts on Barnett Shoals Road, the same road where Carter and LeCroy were reported to be racing. One of the cars the officer found at the scene was a 2019 Lamborghini Urus luxury SUV, valued at more than $200,000 and registered to Milton, according to a 911 dispatch report obtained by ESPN. There's no record of any citations being issued, and it's unclear whether Milton was driving the car at the time of the report."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

"Georgia football players and their cars have been involved in at least 10 reports of traffic-related moving violations in Athens-Clarke County since Jan. 15"

"Players have also been involved in at least 60 additional moving violations -- including speeding, distracted and reckless driving, and disobeying traffic signs -- since the beginning of the 2021 academic year"

"...police have charged Georgia players with traffic offenses nearly 300 times since Smart became head coach in 2015."

Completely out of control

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would say this is gonna end badly, but can it get much worse? Be safe if yall drive in Clarke County.
Tell me about it. I live three blocks from Barnett Shoals Road, about a mile from the spot where two were killed in January.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Per ESPN
"In an email Tuesday, Willock's attorney, Terry Jackson, wrote, "It is devastating to Mr. Willock that this conduct continues, and disappointing that the players and the Athletic Association are not taking his son's tragic death serious enough to modify their driving habits, and the Association's policies."

It continued, "Until players perceive and it is demonstrated by the Athletic Association that there will be real consequences to driving offenses, including suspensions and dismissals for repeat offenders, this conduct will continue... Players and organizations respond to structure, organization, and consequences for missing their assignments. The same discipline should be applied to this problem, reckless driving, it is really that simple.""

Here's where they get caught with their pants around their ankles. ESPN called ACCPD:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Gantt had contacted court officials on 82 separate legal matters involving players between 2016 and 2023.

Gantt did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Barnett, the spokesperson for the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, hung up when asked about Gantt and his relationship with the department.

"I do not have anything else to contribute to this story. Thank you for your time," he said, then ended the call.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The AJC ain't letting up...

"The school’s response to Jamaal Jarrett’s misadventures during a campus visit last year illustrates how its national-champion football program rallies to support athletes accused of abusing women, an investigation by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution shows. In case after case, the newspaper found, strong on-field performance appears to excuse bad off-field behavior."

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The article in full is sickening. Art Briles has become persona non grata for less. Im just speechless. And kirby is the highest paid state employee....imagine his buyout and the fallout if he gets the ax. When is Saban retiring?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some of us are old enough to remember TV games where individual players would trot in front of the camera “…and at right tackle majoring in biology….” Etc. But now it would be “…. and at DT, accused of leaving the scene of an accident” or “…arrested for less than a gram of cocaine” or “…with multiple sexual assault charges.”

Kids will be kids but sheesh championship football is a corrupt culture.

slugboy

Staff member
The AJC ain't letting up...

"The school’s response to Jamaal Jarrett’s misadventures during a campus visit last year illustrates how its national-champion football program rallies to support athletes accused of abusing women, an investigation by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution shows. In case after case, the newspaper found, strong on-field performance appears to excuse bad off-field behavior."
Steve Sadow as defense lawyer—wow. That’s a known trial lawyer. A $200k Maserati SUV. A coach whose main job is to make police problems go away.
In some jurisdictions, a college student street racing a $200k Maserati SUV would lose his car faster than you can say “civil forfeiture”.
Hats off to the AJC for the work they’re doing here. They seem to be more focused on the AA than the Athens Clarke County PD—but the PD and local prosecutors need to straighten up.
If I had a daughter, I’d keep her away from jobs at the UGA AA.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some of us are old enough to remember TV games where individual players would trot in front of the camera “…and at right tackle majoring in biology….” Etc. But now it would be “…. and at DT, accused of leaving the scene of an accident” or “…arrested for less than a gram of cocaine” or “…with multiple sexual assault charges.”

Kids will be kids but sheesh championship football is a corrupt culture.
That's the thing. I don't think it has to be corrupt. You're in the position that Georgia is in, you have your pick of kids. Not all elite, winning athletes are scourges of society. Their culture is this way because they want it to be. The tail ain't wagging the dog there.

And, as @slugboy said, there's no way I'm letting my daughter be part of that. And, if my sons are good enough to make it there, all that tells me is they don't have to be there. So they won't be.

And, can we call it what it is? These girl-parents know what their kid is in for. How sick is that?

I get it. She's an adult and can make her own decisions. But .... all I know is, kg02 ain't gonna be anybody's recruiting hoe-stess.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From the Article:

"“Your honor,” Anderson’s attorney Steve Sadow said after the players stood on his client’s behalf, “pursuant to my promise to Kirby Smart, may they be released to go back to team activities?”"

"The athletic association’s statement denied that Smart “instructed or authorized” players to appear at Anderson’s bond hearing."

Both of these statements cannot be true simultaneously...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"She was further traumatized, she said, when the university sent the judge documents about another sexual assault she experienced years earlier. Investigators substantiated her allegation in that case, and the school punished her attacker through a confidential student disciplinary process, according to the woman and her lawyer, Lisa Anderson, executive director of the nonprofit legal aid organization Atlanta Women for Equality. The assailant was not a student-athlete.

Federal law requires schools to keep such records confidential, said Abigail Boyer, associate executive director of the Clery Center, a nonprofit that tracks campus safety issues.

The athletic association, however, said the university “responded appropriately to a validly issued subpoena” from Anderson’s attorney, even though it did so before a judge rejected a challenge to the subpoena."