Most blown 4th Quarter leads since 2012

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think about how if we could change one of a list of tiny things, we would have won easily: kicker missed 2 field goals, DB takes a horrendous angle and lets a pass in the flat go for a 50 yard TD, Quon doesn't pitch on the last play. Also, if the kicker we had committed, Boulovas, hadn't flipped, we would have gone to a bowl in 2017.

That was the worst UT team in the history of their program. This what if exercise is embarrassing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Are you serious? Our guys never stop battling, which is commendable, but those games were embarrassing.
Imo, 2015 at end of year our guys battled thier hearts out. Most were young guys and that grit they showed carried over into 16.
The only crappy effort i have seen from gt was the air forcs game in shrevport and the oil change bowl in detroit.
While they weren't a high five bunch of guys, the fought hard for coach and their own pride. Good times.
Some times u get the bear.... ....
( the other team gets to improve too!)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m generally as big of a fan of Paul Johnson and our team over the past 11 years as anyone else on here, but you cannot deny that we absolutely screwed the pooch and gave away some games we’ve had in the bag over the past few seasons. I remember seeing a stat during one of our games this past year about ACC teams’ overall great record in games where they lead by double digits (something like over 90%), yet we were less than 50% and had more blown leads then the rest of the league combined. We definitely became too reliant on the QB/BB game plan with our last few teams.
Link?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the proliferation of spread offenses and Roof’s defenses inability to stop it is what mainly caused this. Hence the hiring of Nate Woody last year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I like the way you set arbitrary data points to ensure a result. The reality is that GT has had some great 4th quarter comebacks to "offset the worst games in this category" as you say. A prime example is the 2016 uga game. Down 13 in the 4th Qtr and we hold uga to a goose egg on the scoreboard while driving for two TDs. The blocked FG against FSU is an all time great. If you go back 11 years (arbitrary data point be d****d), you get the great second half comeback against the mutts in 2008.

I mean, how many teams have lots of comebacks against 17+ point 4th deficits? Since GT only lost three games in the CPJ era with a 17+ point lead, I am unsure why you need 4 wins to offset it If your purpose is to demean the previous coaching staff, you've dialed in a mighty specific set of data to help you on the way...
You always reply to my posts on this particular topic as though I’m discounting everything CPJ and his staff accomplished...all of which I’ve been a very clear supporter. My point in this case is just to add to a dialog that points out we’ve been blowing more leads than most teams in college football for the past ten years. Many of which were games where we held huge leads. Your post even points out that not many teams come back from 17+ down...yet we let three teams do it in that time span while we didn’t even do it once (I thought there were four teams, but I misremembered one). It’s a problem we need to address...could have been even better than we were in the CPJ era without this nonsense.

etbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Blowing leads in the 4th quarter is nothing new for Tech, and certainly not new to the CPJ era. Years before CPJ arrived a friend of mine called us "the Bud Song Champions", imagining what our record would have been if the games ended at the 3rd quarter. Lack of depth is the most probable reason and it has been with us for as long as we've been playing the Bud Song.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Blowing leads in the 4th quarter is nothing new for Tech, and certainly not new to the CPJ era. Years before CPJ arrived a friend of mine called us "the Bud Song Champions", imagining what our record would have been if the games ended at the 3rd quarter. Lack of depth is the most probable reason and it has been with us for as long as we've been playing the Bud Song.

So maybe , just maybe, if we stop playing the theme song of a giant ugag supporter..... hmm.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. Losing to MTSU @ home was a lot worse. Air force was another bad loss. Of course losing to UGA is always bad but GT should never lose to MTSU or Air Force.

MTSU was certainly a debacle but the 2013 home collapse against the mutts was worse. Plenty remember 2013. Few outside of GT remember MTSU.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’m generally as big of a fan of Paul Johnson and our team over the past 11 years as anyone else on here, but you cannot deny that we absolutely screwed the pooch and gave away some games we’ve had in the bag over the past few seasons. I remember seeing a stat during one of our games this past year about ACC teams’ overall great record in games where they lead by double digits (something like over 90%), yet we were less than 50% and had more blown leads then the rest of the league combined. We definitely became too reliant on the QB/BB game plan with our last few teams.

You are correct but man, that crap happens to every team in football besides Bama. Teams and programs blow leads all the time and we want to point fingers and blame the coach but if you watch enough sports it happens to everyone, literally. We caught a bunch of bad breaks under Paul and we got a lot of good breaks under Paul. It's sports.

Milwaukee

Banned
MTSU was certainly a debacle but the 2013 home collapse against the mutts was worse. Plenty remember 2013. Few outside of GT remember MTSU.

Yes that was a collapse because we were up, but they still had better players on the field that day. We were lucky to be up to begin with. They had a bad year and we make it sound like they were Tulane, they were still the better team. Should we have won? Hell yes, but our players couldn't win the 1 on 1 matchups when the game got tight.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yes that was a collapse because we were up, but they still had better players on the field that day. We were lucky to be up to begin with. They had a bad year and we make it sound like they were Tulane, they were still the better team. Should we have won? Hell yes, but our players couldn't win the 1 on 1 matchups when the game got tight.
Everything had to go wrong to lose that game...and it did. Butker missing a what...35ish yd field goal? He makes that we aren’t having this discussion. He made for it in 2014, but still hurts