Most blown 4th Quarter leads since 2012

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re right. It was their first 8 loss team of all time not their first 4 win.

Either way the team was straight up trash. We lost to the worst UT team ever and our hall of fame coach lost to a guy making $35k as an intern now.

4679666-1782160505-54332.jpg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
One word: melatonin. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but no harm either way. Or what the heck, just be grouchy. It will keep people away.
I have tried it. You are quite right it works...sometimes. Fortunately, I got to play tennis this morning before the fiendishly hot South Georgia sun got too bad. The dew point here in Albany was about 73 and the temperature when I finished playing at 11:00am was about 87. It felt like low to mid 90s which is par for the course down here in July.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah maybe if mbob could have invested in the football program like TSTAN is, things would be much different. Maybe we could have put a competent defense on the field. Now we have a chance of having a pretty good one. Hopefully we can put a good offense to match.

There should be a poll on who is the worst athletic director in modern times (from Coach Dodd to now). I don't know that much about athletic directors but whoever it was that gave Coach Hewitt that ridiculous contract should be number one.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I still think it's the 2nd-worst loss of the CPJ Era. 2013 mutts is #1.

That is an interesting proposition. It was painful to be sure. The only other ones that come to mind off the top of my head that were bad losses, at least to me were: The game at Grant Field against Virginia Tech when Attachou got called for a silly personal foul on the Hokie quarterback which ended up negating an exciting come back. Maybe the UNC game when Smelter ran a reverse 60 yards or so for a TD with little time left and we managed to let them score again. That "bubble screen" Miami game was pretty bad too. We had two guys on the receiver on a fourth down do or die pass and managed to let the ball hit his helmet and he caught the rebound. I guess I will go with your assessment of the 2013 Mutt loss and the Tennessee game just because we outplayed both of them and managed to give them the game.

Some people will bring up the embarrassment of losing to Middle Tennessee State which was pretty bad but they just wanted it more and outplayed us. The Kansas loss is along the same lines. The one constant through all of this was the agonizing thought that at some point in the game most of us knew that defense would collapse perhaps in spectacular fashion and the only way we could win was to get the ball last or just keep it away from them with death marches. The really sad thing about it is that no matter who the defensive coordinator was the defense would fall apart. Three man line it would happen. Four man line it would happen. There was almost never any pressure on an opposing quarterback. I really felt sorry for Rod Sweating, Louis Young, Jemea Thomas, DJ White, Chris Milton, Jamal Golden and several others who were probably criticized but hell, you can't cover them forever.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Y'all know why we lost all those games ?

It doesn't matter it is in the past hasn't got anything to do with this team or coaching staff.

That is one way and perhaps the best way of looking at it but it is ingrained in every Tech fan's DNA to agonize over what might have been. But yeah, with Coach Collins emphasis on defense I don't think fourth quarter collapses will continue to be the norm. Instead, the question will become one of getting a lead. We will see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep thats the bad part. The one that still sticks out to me was the 20-0 lead we had on ugag in 2013. That one sucked.

True, but they had us 28-12 at half time in 2009 with a far better UGA team than the one in 2013. I am trying to remember if the 2009 UGA team was the one that was ranked number 3 in the country and played Alabama in the infamous "Black Out". Now that I think about it that game may have been in 2008 but no matter they were at home and favored but we just took it to them that second half. I can still see Roddy Jones running down that sideline on the option pitch and UGA players trying to hit him out of bounds.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
True, but they had us 28-12 at half time in 2009 with a far better UGA team than the one in 2013. I am trying to remember if the 2009 UGA team was the one that was ranked number 3 in the country and played Alabama in the infamous "Black Out". Now that I think about it that game may have been in 2008 but no matter they were at home and favored but we just took it to them that second half. I can still see Roddy Jones running down that sideline on the option pitch and UGA players trying to hit him out of bounds.

Definitely 2008. The 2009 mutts were so bad, they fired their DC after he shut us down.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Upon further review. UGA was ranked preseason number 1 in 2008 and was 4-0 riding high playing also undefeated 4-0 Alabama in the infamous "Black Out" game. Tech was not ranked and would not be ranked until mid October but began to finally get some respect with the great win against Miami who was ranked at the time late in the year. The very next week we ambushed the Mutts with the come from behind in the third quarter. We have lost leads in the fourth quarter but we also had our share of come from behind wins in the second half as well. I wonder how many times UGA was ranked number one in preseason during Coach Ritch's tenure? 2008 but cannot recall any others off the top of my head.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have tried it. You are quite right it works...sometimes. Fortunately, I got to play tennis this morning before the fiendishly hot South Georgia sun got too bad. The dew point here in Albany was about 73 and the temperature when I finished playing at 11:00am was about 87. It felt like low to mid 90s which is par for the course down here in July.
No convincing needed. I grew up in Sumner and Sylvester and some of my fondest memories are working the field in 95-degree heat and lord knows what humidity. On the other hand, I got three bucks a day.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No convincing needed. I grew up in Sumner and Sylvester and some of my fondest memories are working the field in 95-degree heat and lord knows what humidity. On the other hand, I got three bucks a day.
I taught Economics with a teacher at the high school whose last name was Sumner. His family owned a farm outside of Sumner. He retired shortly before I did in 2016 to work the farm with his brothers. Did you go to Worth County High School or were you in high school prior to consolidation during the 1960s?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I taught Economics with a teacher at the high school whose last name was Sumner. His family owned a farm outside of Sumner. He retired shortly before I did in 2016 to work the farm with his brothers. Did you go to Worth County High School or were you in high school prior to consolidation during the 1960s?
Ah, the Sumners of Sumner. John Sumner of long ago established Sumner, population now 300 or so, in the 19th Century, but moved out because it got too crowded. Joe Sumner before his death came to own all my great-great-grandfather's 1,200 acres NE of Sumner, along with his initial acreage -- alas, Luke Sapp Thompson had a large and indolent family save one, and the heirs all moved to Sylvester or Albany, spent their diluted inheritances, and were never heard from again. But a very prominent family. I knew many of them and played sandlot baseball with a couple. I went to Sylvester HS and was for two glorious summers lifeguard at the muny swimming pool, though those daring one-piece swim suits of the '50s and '60s seen from the lifeguard stand might as well have been burial shrouds. When integration came in the '60s -- service in the Air Force, OUR Air Force, had thankfully exposed me to a wider universe than down home -- they filled in the pool and there is now a tennis court over the site in the city park on U.S. 82. When I heard I thought it criminal, but then remembered some of those big ol' country boys who made regular threats of a Saturday afternoon to beat me to a pulp before a cop got to the pool, and concluded it was a reasonable move. (That is, or was when last I saw, a delightful monument to Ray Charles there on the Flint in Albany, by the way. ) See? Ask a question, get history.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

I scouted Cotton (Counting bugs so farmers could decide to spray or not) the summer after i graduated high school in Lee/Doughtery county and my god it was hot. got a really good tan though. definitely like the weather in Colorado when i lived there and here in Washington more and probably will never live in the south again and that's only due to the weather

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I scouted Cotton (Counting bugs so farmers could decide to spray or not) the summer after i graduated high school in Lee/Doughtery county and my god it was hot. got a really good tan though. definitely like the weather in Colorado when i lived there and here in Washington more and probably will never live in the south again and that's only due to the weather
Remember: it ain't the heat, it's the ... As for cotton, well. You know, Enterprise, Ala., in the 1920s erected a monument to the boll weevil. For forcing farmers to diversify. And from that came peanuts and from peanuts came Jimmy Carter and ...

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember: it ain't the heat, it's the ... As for cotton, well. You know, Enterprise, Ala., in the 1920s erected a monument to the boll weevil. For forcing farmers to diversify. And from that came peanuts and from peanuts came Jimmy Carter and ...

Yeah I’ve seen the boll weevil monument when I did 7 weeks of training at ft Rucker back in 2016.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Down here now, the agriculture is based on cotton, peanuts, corn, pecans, timber, catfish on plantation ponds, and watermelons. Miles and miles of row crops most of which are destined for foreign markets. The Chinese buy all the peanuts and pecans they can get their hands on. That little park you mentioned was the site of my middle school tennis team that I coached for two years before moving on to coaching the varsity for 10 years. Worth County has fallen on hard times lately in football going through a long line of coaches since Milt Miller left for greener pastures in Lowndes.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
There should be a poll on who is the worst athletic director in modern times (from Coach Dodd to now). I don't know that much about athletic directors but whoever it was that gave Coach Hewitt that ridiculous contract should be number one.

From one old timer's perspective, it's a flat footed tie between Doug Weaver (should've been John McKenna to follow Dodd, but Pruitt didn't want a strong AD), Braine(less), DRad & mbob.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Down here now, the agriculture is based on cotton, peanuts, corn, pecans, timber, catfish on plantation ponds, and watermelons. Miles and miles of row crops most of which are destined for foreign markets. The Chinese buy all the peanuts and pecans they can get their hands on. That little park you mentioned was the site of my middle school tennis team that I coached for two years before moving on to coaching the varsity for 10 years. Worth County has fallen on hard times lately in football going through a long line of coaches since Milt Miller left for greener pastures in Lowndes.
That is funny because the of the person responsible for Miller and his whole staff jumping to better jobs. I gather he was very successful at Lowndes HS. Valdosta HS was getting all the ink with Wright Bazemore and his string of undefeated seasons. Bazemore was the template for scheme football, a lot of winning and a lot of players to major colleges, but few of them reaching star level. Earlene Wilkerson was elected superintendent of schools when Georgia still felt the best way to control education was to not allow the heads to be appointed by qualification and experience, and almost immediately lost her football staff. Her experience was briefly as a teacher and then as a state legislator. She was ahead of me in school but I saw her a year or so after Miller left in some dispute -- I don't know where the blame was. but his many supporters felt she had "run him off" -- and I asked her how she ever allowed that to happen. Sylvester had not had a good football coach since the early '50s. (As I got older and more and more into GT I came to blame it on a bunch of UGA graduates getting hired.) She said they just had a disagreement, and he was "emphasizing football too much." I told her I'd never known a football coach to emphasize mathematics, which she didn't think was funny, but EArlene always did take her self seriously. Either that or the fact she hired her significant other as transportation director when he had zero knowledge of or experience in anything related to buses or transportation or mechanics cost her that job, and you're right, Worth County had some tough sledding ever since. I just googled them and see they are completely renovating the football field, which played like concrete 50 years ago.

Notably absent from your list is the former cash crop, tobacco. One cannot be a real man until he has snapped off the bottom two tobacco leaves and crushed a huge green tobacco worm in his hand. It has an indescribably ick factor.