Most blown 4th Quarter leads since 2012

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That is funny because the of the person responsible for Miller and his whole staff jumping to better jobs. I gather he was very successful at Lowndes HS. Valdosta HS was getting all the ink with Wright Bazemore and his string of undefeated seasons. Bazemore was the template for scheme football, a lot of winning and a lot of players to major colleges, but few of them reaching star level. Earlene Wilkerson was elected superintendent of schools when Georgia still felt the best way to control education was to not allow the heads to be appointed by qualification and experience, and almost immediately lost her football staff. Her experience was briefly as a teacher and then as a state legislator. She was ahead of me in school but I saw her a year or so after Miller left in some dispute -- I don't know where the blame was. but his many supporters felt she had "run him off" -- and I asked her how she ever allowed that to happen. Sylvester had not had a good football coach since the early '50s. (As I got older and more and more into GT I came to blame it on a bunch of UGA graduates getting hired.) She said they just had a disagreement, and he was "emphasizing football too much." I told her I'd never known a football coach to emphasize mathematics, which she didn't think was funny, but EArlene always did take her self seriously. Either that or the fact she hired her significant other as transportation director when he had zero knowledge of or experience in anything related to buses or transportation or mechanics cost her that job, and you're right, Worth County had some tough sledding ever since. I just googled them and see they are completely renovating the football field, which played like concrete 50 years ago.

Notably absent from your list is the former cash crop, tobacco. One cannot be a real man until he has snapped off the bottom two tobacco leaves and crushed a huge green tobacco worm in his hand. It has an indescribably ick factor.

I apologize to posters from above the gnat line. We South Georgia boys have to stick together. So don't mind us talking here. Skeptic, in the 26 plus years I worked as a teacher and tennis coach in Worth County we had 8 principals at the high school, at least 6 or so county superintendents, as best I can figure 7 or so football coaches, Christ alone knows how many basketball coaches, assistant principals, etc. The one constant has been a heavily politicalized school board and a mediocre, at best, school system that has lost virtually all of the upper middle class students that were once the backbone of the system. I do not pretend to understand the complexities of what ails public schools in general and poor rural systems in particular but it is revealing that most of the teachers who had children opted to send them to private schools. I retired a couple of years ago and wild horses could not drag me back.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I apologize to posters from above the gnat line. We South Georgia boys have to stick together. So don't mind us talking here. Skeptic, in the 26 plus years I worked as a teacher and tennis coach in Worth County we had 8 principals at the high school, at least 6 or so county superintendents, as best I can figure 7 or so football coaches, Christ alone knows how many basketball coaches, assistant principals, etc. The one constant has been a heavily politicalized school board and a mediocre, at best, school system that has lost virtually all of the upper middle class students that were once the backbone of the system. I do not pretend to understand the complexities of what ails public schools in general and poor rural systems in particular but it is revealing that most of the teachers who had children opted to send them to private schools. I retired a couple of years ago and wild horses could not drag me back.

You still work as a teacher in worth county?

My sister is a teacher at the elementary school.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You still work as a teacher in worth county?

My sister is a teacher at the elementary school.
No I retired several years ago. It is a sign of the times that virtually no one that I taught with is still there. Not only is the principal who was in charge when I retired now gone but his successor is gone as well. IIWII. I wish your sister much success. The defined pension is nice but she should take every advantage she can of the matching 401K provided. When you retire, you are pretty much on your own. Best wishes to her.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I had not realized until a couple of posts back you taught in Worth County. I believe that qualifies for sainthood so let me know the canonization day and I will be there. The problems you cited were not new. When Earlene Wilkerson, she of she-runned-him-off fame, was elected, she beat Buck Whitfield, a longtime teacher and coach in the system, a man who was almost killed as a HS senior with a fractured skull and concussion playing football. He was one year from retirement. She would not hire him as a teacher, and he had to go up to Crisp County to teach a year for his pension. I did my elementary to junior high years in Sumner, and from that day to this, several jobs, a couple of degrees, an AF hitch and lord knows what else, the most influential teacher I ever had was Miss Strip, a truly remarkable classroom teacher with but one eccentricity, a dandy. In her home room she had a picture of Robert E. Lee. When we acted up, she turned the picture to the wall, saying, "The Great Commander would not want to see this." It is but one of the reasons she became the most memorable person in my life. (I can still recite stanzas of "the Congo," , and The Rubaiyat, for instance. From a little old school in the sticks of South Georgia.) And yes, flipping the picture worked.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
No I retired several years ago. It is a sign of the times that virtually no one that I taught with is still there. Not only is the principal who was in charge when I retired now gone but his successor is gone as well. IIWII. I wish your sister much success. The defined pension is nice but she should take every advantage she can of the matching 401K provided. When you retire, you are pretty much on your own. Best wishes to her.

Thanks. She was teaching in Albany at Sherwood acres elementary but got tired of their crap and left their. Funny thing though we both went to school at Sherwood.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had not realized until a couple of posts back you taught in Worth County. I believe that qualifies for sainthood so let me know the canonization day and I will be there. The problems you cited were not new. When Earlene Wilkerson, she of she-runned-him-off fame, was elected, she beat Buck Whitfield, a longtime teacher and coach in the system, a man who was almost killed as a HS senior with a fractured skull and concussion playing football. He was one year from retirement. She would not hire him as a teacher, and he had to go up to Crisp County to teach a year for his pension. I did my elementary to junior high years in Sumner, and from that day to this, several jobs, a couple of degrees, an AF hitch and lord knows what else, the most influential teacher I ever had was Miss Strip, a truly remarkable classroom teacher with but one eccentricity, a dandy. In her home room she had a picture of Robert E. Lee. When we acted up, she turned the picture to the wall, saying, "The Great Commander would not want to see this." It is but one of the reasons she became the most memorable person in my life. (I can still recite stanzas of "the Congo," , and The Rubaiyat, for instance. From a little old school in the sticks of South Georgia.) And yes, flipping the picture worked.

Sainthood? Just doing what I was paid to do. I will say that having to teach both Economics and British Lit the same year should at least get me an honorable mention. I was there when Mrs. Wilkerson was superintendent. I am surprised sometimes at how petty and vindictive people in authority can be. A truly tragic state of affairs that is replicated all to often in politics. I pray that Georgia Tech will be spared such foolishness and get behind Coach Collins for the betterment of the players and the assistants.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Emotionally yes, well 2009 mutt loss was pretty freaking bad too, but on paper Kansas and MTS were the worst imo.

Yeah I think 2009 UGA was the worst loss of CPJ's tenure by far. Our best team in decades lost to their worst team in decades. We could've started our own streak against them if we don't choke that game.. that one still irritates me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think 2009 UGA was the worst loss of CPJ's tenure by far. Our best team in decades lost to their worst team in decades. We could've started our own streak against them if we don't choke that game.. that one still irritates me.
Strange game. I remember the mutts twisting Nesbitt's leg at the bottom of a pile. I also remember the 2nd best wr ever to grace the flats missing a gimme pass on 4th down.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Strange game. I remember the mutts twisting Nesbitt's leg at the bottom of a pile. I also remember the 2nd best wr ever to grace the flats missing a gimme pass on 4th down.
Right in front of the official too. That game was destined to be lost lol yeah by far the most miserable.

Anyways, back to the thread topic. Most gut wrenching blown lead loss, imo, has to be 2013 mutts. Runner up goes to Miami 2012. Or whatever years in a row it was that we blew the lead and lost lol

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
imo 13 was much worse. but they both still suck.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
imo 13 was much worse. but they both still suck.
Losing to Georgia might be bad, but it pales in comparison to losing to a team from Kansas. Kansas, which had barely won 50 games the entire decade and just the week before lost to North Dakota State and scored just a field goal. I think that game set a tone that haunted Johnson at Tech: every year it seemed, some team, some time, Tech would actually lose to a paperweight. It might be and was Middle Tennessee, or Duke when Duke had nothing. But somebody. At least Georgia had a reasonable expectation of winning.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Losing to Georgia might be bad, but it pales in comparison to losing to a team from Kansas. Kansas, which had barely won 50 games the entire decade and just the week before lost to North Dakota State and scored just a field goal. I think that game set a tone that haunted Johnson at Tech: every year it seemed, some team, some time, Tech would actually lose to a paperweight. It might be and was Middle Tennessee, or Duke when Duke had nothing. But somebody. At least Georgia had a reasonable expectation of winning.
The kansas defeat was because came out and played like their hair was on fire .

Mtsu scored again and again because they stole our defensive signals.

These games were lost bef o.j re we started.

Our style of play made games close due to slow pace of play calling and lack of passing . We were close at end of a lot games. When we had megatron or D thomas we were better at jump balls that win close games.