Most blown 4th Quarter leads since 2012

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
A lack of depth can kill you in the 4th quarter.

This is likely the primary culprit. But there are other contributing factors as well. Lack of depth killed us against elite competition.

I'm sure it's tough in the 4th quarter when you're gassed from playing an entire game against Clemson or UGAg and they rotate in fresh guys that were previously 4 star recruits and possibly outclass you athletically on a level playing field, but your gassed as you've taken 40 snaps already.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fluke catch was a 4th down throw on 4th and 10. We bent, but didn't break. A badly tipped broken pass that landed square in the chest of a falling receiver is hard to blame entirely on the defense.
One thing that could fix this is getting our corners to turn and look for the ball. I'm not sure what's being taught, and so I'm likely wrong about fundamentals, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a GT corner turn and find a fade or deep ball in their vicinity in 17+ years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One thing that could fix this is getting our corners to turn and look for the ball. I'm not sure what's being taught, and so I'm likely wrong about fundamentals, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a GT corner turn and find a fade or deep ball in their vicinity in 17+ years.

Yeah. The ONLY CB I've seen do it was Jamea Thomas. He picked off Boyd in the Clemson game once by turning back on a fade. Otherwise, I don't think I remember any either...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Any list of who blew the most 2 touchdown leads? We have to be high on that list too.
Any list of who stole last second victories from FSU, gotta be high on that list too. I can think of some pretty amazing 4th qtr steals against a bunch of other teams, too. Probably just as many last second victories as losses, I’d wager.

The lengths some people go to run down the last era amazes me beyond belief.

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am so happy We have a defensive minded Coach maybe these blown leads will slow down and keep me alive longer!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Any list of who stole last second victories from FSU, gotta be high on that list too. I can think of some pretty amazing 4th qtr steals against a bunch of other teams, too. Probably just as many last second victories as losses, I’d wager.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, there were some amazing ones, but find me four games in the last 10 years where we came back from 17+ down to win to offset the worst games in this category. Not sure why we can’t recognize failures and successes of the last era.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, there were some amazing ones, but find me four games in the last 10 years where we came back from 17+ down to win to offset the worst games in this category. Not sure why we can’t recognize failures and successes of the last era.
Because we’re supposed to be FANS of GT football. If you guys want to wallow in our past failures, go right ahead but count me out. You guys are unbelievable! Smh!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is likely the primary culprit. But there are other contributing factors as well. Lack of depth killed us against elite competition.

I'm sure it's tough in the 4th quarter when you're gassed from playing an entire game against Clemson or UGAg and they rotate in fresh guys that were previously 4 star recruits and possibly outclass you athletically on a level playing field, but your gassed as you've taken 40 snaps already.
In 18 and 17 in the 4 th q we have out scored Clemson and uga . Off course they were ahead by 30 plus.

Imo, our bend but dont break is so passive that we are not experienced enough to stop them when they try to go long for score. Miami game - 2 long slant to right side UNC 2 jump balls in end zone.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I like the way you set arbitrary data points to ensure a result. The reality is that GT has had some great 4th quarter comebacks to "offset the worst games in this category" as you say. A prime example is the 2016 uga game. Down 13 in the 4th Qtr and we hold uga to a goose egg on the scoreboard while driving for two TDs. The blocked FG against FSU is an all time great. If you go back 11 years (arbitrary data point be d****d), you get the great second half comeback against the mutts in 2008.

I mean, how many teams have lots of comebacks against 17+ point 4th deficits? Since GT only lost three games in the CPJ era with a 17+ point lead, I am unsure why you need 4 wins to offset it If your purpose is to demean the previous coaching staff, you've dialed in a mighty specific set of data to help you on the way...