Marshall looks worse...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Indeed we should throw deep from time to time. And throw short most of the time. What good is loosening up the coverage if you don't exploit it? You can do that with the running game and the passing game as well. I'm not saying we shouldn't throw long. I'm saying we should do it less often in our present situation, because you have to factor in the talents and limitations of the guy under center.

I understand what you're saying. I am saying that passing short doesn't force a change in the opposing defensive scheme, and it's highly turnover prone. If a DB jumps a flat or drag route it's likely to go to our end zone. It might give TM some rhythm, but it doesn't open anything up. Trading rhythm for the risk of pick six is a gamble I'd rather avoid.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually thought Alcorn State's defensive backs did a great job keeping up with our receivers. I'm used to seeing a missed assignment on one of our a-backs or a corner getting caught peeking into the backfield after play action THEN overthrowing a wide open receiver downfield.

I agree with a lot of you that we need to work on the passing game more, and am glad we were able to experiment with it this game. Though some of the bitter criticism I'm reading in this thread is not worth the stress some of you seem to be under?

It's the first game of the season folks. Try looking at it from "what I would like to see the team improve upon next game" instead of something like "this team sucks".

I agree with most of this(esp. the DB's - didn't see many blown assignments). Throughout last season and into the off season, one major point of concern has been TM's arm. Myself(and a few others) didn't see much improvement today, which is why we're disappointed. It's not *stress*, it's just disappointment. D looked much better, but this is Alcorn. Hopefully we play better. 2014 had some bad games(almost lost to southern, lost to duke, lost to UNC) and the team kept growing and improving. Hopefully we'll see that. I haven't seen an improvement on O over last year based on today's game. I'm expecting a similar season. I hope it improves.

"Offensively we're awful" - CPJ at half.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is last year people were saying we need to have more mid to short passing.

Man i’ve said that every year CPJ has been here, and it doesnt loosen up the safeties if you almost never hit any of those long passes.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
First of all , this isn’t the first time I’ve heard CPJ complain about the offensive team’s performance, even after putting up over 500 yards on O.
Secondly, this was the first game of the season and the first time this year we’ve faced someone other than GT defense or scout teams. Did TM look like a world beater? No. Did he look like the worst P5 QB? No. Do I think he’ll get better? Yes. But crap, folks. Some of you are arguing the fact that TM had a bad first half proves he’s not gotten better while at the same time saying that the fact he had a pretty good second half doesn’t prove a thing. Forgive me if I’m not ready to revoke his scholarship, sterilize him so he doesn’t procreate future QB’s, or declare the season will be a failure if he plays another snap under center.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all , this isn’t the first time I’ve heard CPJ complain about the offensive team’s performance, even after putting up over 500 yards on O.
Secondly, this was the first game of the season and the first time this year we’ve faced someone other than GT defense or scout teams. Did TM look like a world beater? No. Did he look like the worst P5 QB? No. Do I think he’ll get better? Yes. But crap, folks. Some of you are arguing the fact that TM had a bad first half proves he’s not gotten better while at the same time saying that the fact he had a pretty good second half doesn’t prove a thing. Forgive me if I’m not ready to revoke his scholarship, sterilize him so he doesn’t procreate future QB’s, or declare the season will be a failure if he plays another snap under center.

Since I've been vocal about it - let me clarify - TM is definitely serviceable. Most of us hoped he'd show some nice development against an FCS team(who's DBs actually may have played us on par with an ACC opponent) on the deep ball. That didn't happen and there were some ugly throws. If this is what he have(and i'm not saying it is, he may get better) our win ceiling is probably 7 games. With a better deep ball threat it's 8+. We're all hoping for another 2014, and IMO, it doesn't look like we're any closer than last year on O.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
But they do burn blitzing backers trying to take away the pitch. Short passes open up the run game as well especially the rocket toss

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Who gets burned in this situation? The LB playing man against an AB? This makes no sense.

Not if those passes get first downs. The people that hate our offense and want us to run something else getting mad when we are doing the staple tactic of the west coast pro style offense is funny

I like this offense. Those passes aren't getting first downs and TM hasn't shown the zip or ability to throw guys open. It's just not our strength. We need reps on our basic option package right now - we don't need to reps of a different offense not suited to our personnel.

Last edited:
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Who gets burned in this situation? The LB playing man against an AB? This makes no sense.

I like this offense. Those passes aren't getting first downs and TM hasn't shown the zip or ability to throw guys open. It's just not our strength. We need reps on our basic option package right now - we don't need to reps of a different offense not suited to our personnel.
You're making sense now. LOL