Marshall looks worse...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I just look at our current roster and see there are issues. This is not a knock to any of our players. I love this school and team but you can see we have some talent issues on both lines. We have had very big issues in the passing game for over a decade now. My goodness that's a while. We are not developing from year to year in a way that's going to get us competing with clemson and uga on a consistent basis.

I am reading your posts and am not sure you understand the point of passing in our offense or how it should be evaluated. Yes, we have had some not so good years passing under CPJ, but also some really good ones. To judge passing in this offense, you must look at efficiency. We will never throw a lot, so we will never lead in stats like yards per game or even completion percentage. To be successful, we just need to be good at making teams pay for it when we do.

Looking at passing efficiency rating during CPJ’s tenure, as a team, I see Tech finished 16th nationally in 2016, 12th in 2014, 14th in 2011, and 12th in 2009. In yards per attempt, we finished 4th, 3rd, 1st, and 1st nationally in those same years. Those are pretty good stats and exactly what this offense is trying to accomplish.

As a general rule, our starting QBs have gotten better in those stats their 2nd year. Let’s hope Marshall does too.

(Stats from cfbstats.com)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Give it time ? There are some major issues with the passing game. Matter of fact, it's been that way since cpj arrived.
Didn’t look to bad in the 2nd half.......... that’s my point. When I say give it time I’m talking about watch a couple of games before complaining. It’s part of sports to have a bad start but get better after you settle down. If the first half happens again next week and the week after then I can understand m, but to complain about 9 for 18 is crazy to me, especially when there was a dropped pass and q play where Brad slipped. Could have easily be 11 for 18.

I am reading your posts and am not sure you understand the point of passing in our offense or how it should be evaluated. Yes, we have had some not so good years passing under CPJ, but also some really good ones. To judge passing in this offense, you must look at efficiency. We will never throw a lot, so we will never lead in stats like yards per game or even completion percentage. To be successful, we just need to be good at making teams pay for it when we do.

Looking at passing efficiency rating during CPJ’s tenure, as a team, I see Tech finished 16th nationally in 2016, 12th in 2014, 14th in 2011, and 12th in 2009. In yards per attempt, we finished 4th, 3rd, 1st, and 1st nationally in those same years. Those are pretty good stats and exactly what this offense is trying to accomplish.

As a general rule, our starting QBs have gotten better in those stats their 2nd year. Let’s hope Marshall does too.

(Stats from cfbstats.com)
If this is an argument to " we are good at passing" than you my friend need your eyes checked. Cpj himself mentioned this issue in post press conference. There are some big issues in the pass your game. You can talk about these numbers if you want, but I know what I see.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If this is an argument to " we are good at passing" than you my friend need your eyes checked. Cpj himself mentioned this issue in post press conference. There are some big issues in the pass your game. You can talk about these numbers if you want, but I know what I see.

Try reading my post again. Never said Marshall is a great passer or even that we were good at passing today. We weren’t. My post was responding to what seemed to be your bigger gripe that: “We have had very big issues in the passing game for over a decade now. My goodness that's a while.” And “There are some major issues with the passing game. Matter of fact, it's been that way since cpj arrived.”

My point was (1) that is demonstrably false (we have had some very good passing years in the past decade under CPJ) and (2) our QBs usually get better in their second year, so let’s hope Marshall does too.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What is disturbing to me is cpj still runs him out there ? This is year 11 and we can't get this figured out. I honestly believe it's time for cpj to hire an OC. Something needs to happen if tech wants to win a NC.

This is a fundamentally flawed post. You are not setting your hands before typing, your progression across the keyboard needs lots of improvement as you are missing wide open characters. Your fingers are doing that little happy tap dance before throwing characters at the forum with little to no thought.

Overall I am singularly unimpressed with this posters ability to properly post on this forum and it is time to take a look at his backup. His backup is excellent and I don't know why he is not used more often.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He’s got a weak arm. He overthrows routes trying to get zip on the ball. I don’t know what anyone expects at this point. He’s the worse passing qb we’ve had since Tevin. Nesbit had a better arm but was equally or worse accurate. Josh had a nice receiver to throw it up to, though. Taquan is never gonna be a guy who can throw a 40 yard wheel route with any consistency. Never. We were spoiled with JT.
Now that is a long wheel route.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a fundamentally flawed post. You are not setting your hands before typing, your progression across the keyboard needs lots of improvement as you are missing wide open characters. Your fingers are doing that little happy tap dance before throwing characters at the forum with little to no thought.

Overall I am singularly unimpressed with this posters ability to properly post on this forum and it is time to take a look at his backup. His backup is excellent and I don't know why he is not used more often.
You are now poster of the month. And I'm not taking sides. I just admire artistry.

Try reading my post again. Never said Marshall is a great passer or even that we were good at passing today. We weren’t. My post was responding to what seemed to be your bigger gripe that: “We have had very big issues in the passing game for over a decade now. My goodness that's a while.” And “There are some major issues with the passing game. Matter of fact, it's been that way since cpj arrived.”

My point was (1) that is demonstrably false (we have had some very good passing years in the past decade under CPJ) and (2) our QBs usually get better in their second year, so let’s hope Marshall does too.
Sure

Good post!

Just got home, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. At the half, I texted a friend that TM's passing still sucks. He would sometimes have 3 open guys to throw to, but he invariably chose the least open one. Yes, he got better results in the second half, and a couple of incompletions were sorta freaky. But even in the second half, he threw some too high and some too low. 50% for the game ain't bad at all, but there's just no consistency. But as a TO QB, he seems to have improved a lot. Not only did he finally pitch the ball today, but the 3 he made (I think that was the number) were all perfectly timed and unstoppable. That IMO is a BIG PLUS. He still has an uncanny ability to keep the ball for big gains, and, with one exception, the mesh to the B-backs was perfect. Tobias showed evidence of being a very elusive runner, and he actually made a couple of rocket tosses, which is another plus, but he never got the opportunity to pass, so we don't know how that is. Overall, in spite of the total yards, and a few terrific plays, the offense was not overly impressive to me today. CPJ pretty much said the same in his post-game interview. That has GOT to improve and fast. Another though regarding Tobias, how on earth did he not score on that 1 yard TD sneak. It looked like everybody on the team was in the endzone except him. Do they not push him to get him in in a situation like that? That play was incredibly disappointing, especially after the way he had led us down the field.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Again. We are not asking much of marshall. These are things that can be worked out with training. I just dont feel he was as disciplined as he should of been this offseason.

Maybe it would benefit Tech to hire a mechanics coach for QBs. To get the most out of them. I know the nfl hired one for tebow, but I'll take anything now lol

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Just got home, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. At the half, I texted a friend that TM's passing still sucks. He would sometimes have 3 open guys to throw to, but he invariably chose the least open one. Yes, he got better results in the second half, and a couple of incompletions were sorta freaky. But even in the second half, he threw some too high and some too low. 50% for the game ain't bad at all, but there's just no consistency. But as a TO QB, he seems to have improved a lot. Not only did he finally pitch the ball today, but the 3 he made (I think that was the number) were all perfectly timed and unstoppable. That IMO is a BIG PLUS. He still has an uncanny ability to keep the ball for big gains, and, with one exception, the mesh to the B-backs was perfect. Tobias showed evidence of being a very elusive runner, and he actually made a couple of rocket tosses, which is another plus, but he never got the opportunity to pass, so we don't know how that is. Overall, in spite of the total yards, and a few terrific plays, the offense was not overly impressive to me today. CPJ pretty much said the same in his post-game interview. That has GOT to improve and fast. Another though regarding Tobias, how on earth did he not score on that 1 yard TD sneak. It looked like everybody on the team was in the endzone except him. Do they not push him to get him in in a situation like that? That play was incredibly disappointing, especially after the way he had led us down the field.

Completely agree. Hopefully being better at what we do the most, is enough. Otherwise we shall see.

I reallllllly wanted Oliver to throw it. I wanted to see his motion and see what he can do.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He looked terrible in the first half, but looked good on his last drive. The difference seemed to be that CPJ went to the short passing game. Surprised nobody is talking about that. I think it was a recognition that TQM's forte is throwing short, and I would look for CPJ to fundamentally alter our approach to the passing game in order to utilize TQM's talent to the fullest. In short, we're going to be mixing in a lot of short passes this year, and I find it most refreshing. I am focusing more on the silver lining that emerged in our 3rd quarter passing game than the dark cloud of the first half.

5-6, 79 yards on his final drive. I find that very encouraging.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
He looked terrible in the first half, but looked good on his last drive. The difference seemed to be that CPJ went to the short passing game. Surprised nobody is talking about that. I think it was a recognition that TQM's forte is throwing short, and I would look for CPJ to fundamentally alter our approach to the passing game in order to utilize TQM's talent to the fullest. In short, we're going to be mixing in a lot of short passes this year, and I find it most refreshing. I am focusing more on the silver lining that emerged in our 3rd quarter passing game than the dark cloud of the first half.

5-6, 79 yards on his final drive. I find that very encouraging.

Short passes don't burn cheating safeties....