Marshall looks worse...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of funny if you lose the two most unpopular people are the head coach and QB , but for some on here they are even the two most unpopular when we win. And we think other fans are delusional, you may want to go back and read some of these again.

This isn't personal. I like TM. He's a decent QB and a really good person. I'm concerned that we're still lacking a serviceable passing game. That's on TM, CPJ, and the receivers. I just want us to be better. I want to beat the dwags. This O won't do it. I want to be wrong.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, I’m just curious as to why our offense has to “IMPROVE” . You all cried and cried for Roof to get fired, we did and the D comes out and pitched a shut out, but now the Offense sucks right? Paul Johnson has been here how long? When has the Offense ever been the reason we were unsuccessful?
I don't think many of us were satisfied with the offense last year. There is more room for improvement on the defense, but the offense needs to do better - blocking, triple option, passing..

Needs improvement =/= sucks

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Everyone talking about the passing game being better in the second half seems to forget Alcorn dropped a pick 6 (I think it was miscommunication rather than a poor throw, but still).

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone talking about the passing game being better in the second half seems to forget Alcorn dropped a pick 6 (I think it was miscommunication rather than a poor throw, but still).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was on Brad not running a curl. He seemed like he knew it was on him. Also a really good illustration on why those short routes are DANGEROUS if you aren't crisp.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate people calling out individual players....especially when 99.5% of them would never sniff a D1 football field

This. Football is a full time job on top of the educational load these guys are dealing with, and they're taking real classes at Tech. No gimmies. These kids are busting their tails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No offense to Alcorn St, but they are an FBS opponent, Marshall should have looked way better than what he looked today.

He was horrendous. Even in the 2nd half he nearly threw a pick 6. CPJ will have to draw some plays to get him in a rhythm and build his confidence early against USF.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Who gets burned in this situation? The LB playing man against an AB? This makes no sense.

I like this offense. Those passes aren't getting first downs and TM hasn't shown the zip or ability to throw guys open. It's just not our strength. We need reps on our basic option package right now - we don't need to reps of a different offense not suited to our personnel.

Ok let me explain the first one. Overly aggressive defenses like clemson often fire outside backers when they read pitch. Because we havent had thi gs like spot routes and short hitches off a three step roll i. Our playbook they can fire those backers with minimal risk and just play cover one or cover 2 shell. So far that kills our short run game and we get stuck in 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 9. If tq can get to where he can complete these 5 yard routes it will keep the defense from .Run blitzing off motion which might allow us to catch them at the second level. The fact that you cant see this suggest you do not really know what you are talking about.

Short routes like this are the staple of the run and shoot and the west coast offense. In a west coast offense its usually the tight end running this route or inside slot recievers and the tight end doing a out and spot. Or a slant and flat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Like I slept in a Holiday Inn Express ...

Imo, TM had an inexcusably bad 1st half with misreads on option and bad passes (pts for @Frenchise )

I disagree that 1 half or 1 game is always predictive/determinative of a season (pts for @OldJacketFan )

Imo, our O will still be at least as good as last year, and our D is much improved.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought TM had a pretty good day throwing the ball. There were two drops in the first half and one completely errant throw where the WR ran the route inside instead of outside (don't know who was to blame for that) and another blown route that almost led to a pick-six. Still, he was on target most of the time. In the second half, however, he did quite well. The protection was about the same, but he seemed to collect himself better and hit the open WRs for good gains and a score.

Well, it was obvious that this was a first game. We kept the O under wraps for the most part; very few toss sweeps and inside veers and plain vanilla pass routes with few long throws. Timing was off and that's to be expected. I thought TaQuon's performance was commendable, however, and showed that he's been working. Once everybody gets a couple of games under them, we should do.

I might add that I hadn't seen a river boat gambler pitch like the one on Searcy's long run since JT made that great one to Hill in the 2014 Ugag game. Just as was the case then, TM had drawn in three Alcorn players who hit him just after he made the pitch. There we're two more of them headed up field and Searcy simply blew past them and ran to the six. Great play!

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok let me explain the first one. Overly aggressive defenses like clemson often fire outside backers when they read pitch. Because we havent had thi gs like spot routes and short hitches off a three step roll i. Our playbook they can fire those backers with minimal risk and just play cover one or cover 2 shell. So far that kills our short run game and we get stuck in 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 9. If tq can get to where he can complete these 5 yard routes it will keep the defense from .Run blitzing off motion which might allow us to catch them at the second level. The fact that you cant see this suggest you do not really know what you are talking about.

Short routes like this are the staple of the run and shoot and the west coast offense. In a west coast offense its usually the tight end running this route or inside slot recievers and the tight end doing a out and spot. Or a slant and flat.

If the backers are firing the safeties will be playing man on the AB's. The CBs are on the WR. Who is catching the ball? The BBack should be covered by the firing backer. This sort of attack encourages playing safeties up. I get that you play a little madden and know about 3,5,7 foot drops, but you don't know what you're talking about. We run WR curls and outs for 3rd and medium/long respectively. That's it, other than fly/wheel routes when we bomb. Show me a play like you described that isn't a broken play.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If the backers are firing the safeties will be playing man on the AB's. The CBs are on the WR. Who is catching the ball? The BBack should be covered by the firing backer. This sort of attack encourages playing safeties up. I get that you play a little madden and know about 3,5,7 foot drops, but you don't know what you're talking about. We run WR curls and outs for 3rd and medium/long respectively. That's it, other than fly/wheel routes when we bomb. Show me a play like you described that isn't a broken play.
Actually the way clemson has been playing us they have not been going man on the abacks they have been playing back and playing catchup. But since weve only been trying to run seams. The run blitzes have turned into pass blitzes and they have sacked us. And no my knowlegde comes from actually playing the game not madden. Do you actually know how the run and shoot works? And what it was designed to do? Besides if they start firing the safeties to stop the a back pass reception it lines up the exact thing you are talking about with the play off a stick and go inside. So when did you play and in what offense bro.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought TM had a pretty good day throwing the ball. There were two drops in the first half and one completely errant throw where the WR ran the route inside instead of outside (don't know who was to blame for that) and another blown route that almost led to a pick-six. Still, he was on target most of the time. In the second half, however, he did quite well. The protection was about the same, but he seemed to collect himself better and hit the open WRs for good gains and a score.

Well, it was obvious that this was a first game. We kept the O under wraps for the most part; very few toss sweeps and inside veers and plain vanilla pass routes with few long throws. Timing was off and that's to be expected. I thought TaQuon's performance was commendable, however, and showed that he's been working. Once everybody gets a couple of games under them, we should do.

I might add that I hadn't seen a river boat gambler pitch like the one on Searcy's long run since JT made that great one to Hill in the 2014 Ugag game. Just as was the case then, TM had drawn in three Alcorn players who hit him just after he made the pitch. There we're two more of them headed up field and Searcy simply blew past them and ran to the six. Great play!

Just a note - in the first half we tried to pass to the field side. This is a longer pass and requires more arm strength. He didn't look good. In the 2nd half CPJ call passes to the boundary side only, which is a shorter, easier pass. He should be better at those. He should be able to throw 15 yards to the field without it being a wobbly duck or just short(~5min in 1st quarter, 3&15, curl to the field was only thrown 10 yards deep).

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually the way clemson has been playing us they have not been going man on the abacks they have been playing back and playing catchup. But since weve only been trying to run seams. The run blitzes have turned into pass blitzes and they have sacked us. And no my knowlegde comes from actually playing the game not madden. Do you actually know how the run and shoot works? And what it was designed to do? Besides if they start firing the safeties to stop the a back pass reception it lines up the exact thing you are talking about with the play off a stick and go inside. So when did you play and in what offense bro.

I'm played the 3O and I know pro-style. Less familiar with spread and even less familiar with R&S, although I enjoy watching Wazzu and TT. Nevertheless, show me where CPJ has called a play like you are describing. CPJ isn't going to install the R&S.

Per Clemson - most issues come with their DLine just shedding blocks like crazy, especially their DEs. The LBs are fast enough to catch the pitchman before they turn the corner and we can't seem to cut them. They out-athlete us.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm played the 3O and I know pro-style. Less familiar with spread and even less familiar with R&S, although I enjoy watching Wazzu and TT. Nevertheless, show me where CPJ has called a play like you are describing. CPJ isn't going to install the R&S.

Wow our entire passing game is based off of the run and shoot. It is already in our offense. You want a run and shoot route. Every option route concept we run comes fro. The run and shoot. Every drop we have comes from the run and shoot. That smoke route we threw alot to jeune with JT agaist cover 2 is a run and shoot route cocept off a 2 step half roll.

If you cant recognize the run and shoot in our offense I am not going to explain it to you there are plenty of youtube videos on it.

It's been 10 years now we've ran this offense. How much can we hide or show now to our conf opponents or other opponents. You can watch tape on us and every year looks a like. We are now one of the easiest to prep for. Nothing has really changed.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's been 10 years now we've ran this offense. How much can we hide or show now to our conf opponents or other opponents. You can watch tape on us and every year looks a like. We are now one of the easiest to prep for. Nothing has really changed.

Bud foster diasgrees with you.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow our entire passing game is based off of the run and shoot. It is already in our offense. You want a run and shoot route. Every option route concept we run comes fro. The run and shoot. Every drop we have comes from the run and shoot. That smoke route we threw alot to jeune with JT agaist cover 2 is a run and shoot route cocept off a 2 step half roll.

If you cant recognize the run and shoot in our offense I am not going to explain it to you there are plenty of youtube videos on it.

I know the flexbone is based off of R&S concepts. However, our route trees are extremely basic in practice. We run curls, outs, and wheel/fly. Almost no drags, slants crossers, etc. The R&S utilized by TT and Wazzu has vastly more route concepts, options, etc.

I've asked you to show a designed play like you've described(rather poorly) that CPJ has called. His playbook is huge but we don't utilize that many passing concepts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I know the flexbone is based off of R&S concepts. However, our route trees are extremely basic in practice. We run curls, outs, and wheel/fly. Almost no drags, slants crossers, etc. The R&S utilized by TT and Wazzu has vastly more route concepts, options, etc.

I've asked you to show a designed play like you've described(rather poorly) that CPJ has called. His playbook is huge but we don't utilize that many passing concepts.

Dude we run drags. Deon hill vs georgia southern 2014. Deon hill vs fllrida state 2012 acc championship. We run slants ricky juene vs im wanting to say duke in 2016 and incomplete but still the route vs unc last year on the goal line.

Texas tech And wqzzu do not run The run and shoot. They run for the most part a spread air raid its link to thr run and shoot is its gun formations which the 4 wide and trips spread formations came from. Its a pure form of the air raid offense and is its own thing. They do not run option routes which are the base principle of a run and shoot. Actually Every time we call an option route the slant is one of those options they just typically play us inside to its not run.. As for crosers smelter vt 2014. Waller uga 2013 ( turned in to more of a go but he crossed first). Orwin smith vs I cant remember bu the backside cross was used with him often. brad Stewart vs vt2017. We install route trees for specefic games based on the defenses the cpj thinks we will face and practice them. Now if you are trying to argue that in this game and most of the ones last year we didnt run these routes alot I would agree with you. But if you are trying to say that they arent in cpjs knowledge base or the offense.. You havent been paying attention for 10 years.