Marshall looks worse...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that's one downside. But we can see the upside, too. I think TQM has to go short more often to be successful, and I'm betting CPJ can see this.

A short pass is almost no different than a jet sweep...with a lot more risk. You need to pass deep to keep the safeties back so your runs go for more than 3 yards. Short passes do not achieve that. You're not understanding the synergy of why we throw deep from time to time. If i'm a DC, none of my safeties need to play more than 10 yards back against TM.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A short pass is almost no different than a jet sweep...with a lot more risk. You need to pass deep to keep the safeties back so your runs go for more than 3 yards. Short passes do not achieve that. You're not understanding the synergy of why we throw deep from time to time. If i'm a DC, none of my safeties need to play more than 10 yards back against TM.

You can throw short most often and keep the safeties honest by throwing in a long one now and then. That's all it takes. When TQM went to the short passing game, it worked. Yeah, I know it was just Alcorn State, but I'll bet we see more of this in the future.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Do you understand that someone who is not an accomplished pocket passer needs a rhythm and that a short to medium passing game can accomplish that? Are you also aware that a missed tackle by a safety on an a back can lead to the same TD as a bomb? I'm by no means saying Taquan looked great today but PJ didn't help him with play calls in the 1st half either. He went 5 of 6 and looked like a QB when they went to a more controlled passing game

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You can throw short most often and keep the safeties honest by throwing in a long one now and then. That's all it takes. When TQM went to the short passing game, it worked. Yeah, I know it was just Alcorn State, but I'll bet we see more of this in the future.

If we see a lot of short passes, we're gonna see a lot of L's.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you understand that someone who is not an accomplished pocket passer needs a rhythm and that a short to medium passing game can accomplish that? Are you also aware that a missed tackle by a safety on an a back can lead to the same TD as a bomb? I'm by no means saying Taquan looked great today but PJ didn't help him with play calls in the 1st half either. He went 5 of 6 and looked like a QB when they went to a more controlled passing game

I expect a senior QB to not poop their pants against an FCS opponent. The fact that he managed to get it together against an FCS doesn't prove anything. Our offense will continue to be one dimensional and stuffed by a moderately talented and coordinated FBS team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I expect a senior QB to not poop their pants against an FCS opponent. The fact that he managed to get it together against an FCS doesn't prove anything. Our offense will continue to be one dimensional and stuffed by a moderately talented and coordinated FBS team.

We'll see, I'm sure not wringing my hands after today so you'll excuse me if I'm not in histrionics about his performance

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Well, for that matter beating Alcorn State doesn't exactly prove anything no matter how we went about doing it.

We'll see how it works out, but I'm betting that the new short passing game is going to work in the triple - option offense.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, for that matter beating Alcorn State doesn't exactly prove anything no matter how we went about doing it.

We'll see how it works out, but I'm betting that the new short passing game is going to work in the triple - option offense.

Keep drinking the kool aid and get used to seeing pick sixes when TM isn't "in rhythm" for a short pass.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
We'll see, I'm sure not wringing my hands after today so you'll excuse me if I'm not in histrionics about his performance

I'm not in histrionics - I see 0 improvement on offense over last year and a whole lot of stupid mistakes. Coach trashed the offense and said if we play like that against any other opponent we'll lose. I agree with coach.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not in histrionics - I see 0 improvement on offense over last year and a whole lot of stupid mistakes. Coach trashed the offense and said if we play like that against any other opponent we'll lose. I agree with coach.

Guess what? I agree with PJ as well. But he also commented it was on the coaches to get it fixed. I've read everything you've posted today, histrionics is kind.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Indeed we should throw deep from time to time. And throw short most of the time. What good is loosening up the coverage if you don't exploit it? You can do that with the running game and the passing game as well. I'm not saying we shouldn't throw long. I'm saying we should do it less often in our present situation, because you have to factor in the talents and limitations of the guy under center.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. One can be very critical and matter of fact at the same time. CPJ does it all the time. Hopefully you'll understand some day.
Not recognizing your name, I am assuming you are new to these boards. Knowing OJF as I do, I can assure you he was only calling it as he sees it. In time, hopefully you'll understand that.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I actually thought Alcorn State's defensive backs did a great job keeping up with our receivers. I'm used to seeing a missed assignment on one of our a-backs or a corner getting caught peeking into the backfield after play action THEN overthrowing a wide open receiver downfield.

I agree with a lot of you that we need to work on the passing game more, and am glad we were able to experiment with it this game. Though some of the bitter criticism I'm reading in this thread is not worth the stress some of you seem to be under?

It's the first game of the season folks. Try looking at it from "what I would like to see the team improve upon next game" instead of something like "this team sucks".