Marshall looks worse...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude we run drags. Deon hill vs georgia southern 2014. Deon hill vs fllrida state 2012 acc championship. We run slants ricky juene vs im wanting to say duke in 2016 and incomplete but still the route vs Inc last year on the goal line.

Texas tech And wqzzu do not run The run and shoot. They run for the most part a spread air raid its link to thr run and shoot is its gun formations which the 4 wide and trips spread formations came from. Its a pure form of the air raid offense and is its own thing. They do not run option routes which are the base principle of a run and shoot. Actually Every time we call an option route the slant is one of those options they just typically play us inside to its not run.. As for crosers smelter vt 2014. Waller uga 2013 ( turned in to more of a go but he crossed first). Orwin smith vs I cant remember bu the backside cross was used with him often. brad Stewart vs vt2017. We install route trees for specefic games based on the defenses the cpj thinks we will face and practice them. Now if you are trying to argue that in this game and most of the ones last year we didnt run these routes alot I would agree with you. But if you are trying to say that they arent in cpjs knowlwdge nase or the offense.. You havent been paying attention for 10 years.

You're right, I got air raid and R&S confused. Yes, I'm talking about recently and what we've executed. Hard to remember more than 2 years back. I've seen CPJ's playbook. I'm sure it's got all those routes in it. I just haven't seen very much of those things executed recently. Honestly, it seems like the called plays have been reduced - i don't think the players get as much time to practice as they did years ago. The offense definitely seems simpler/condensed now than 09-13. Heck, we run a lot of called dives or pitches instead of options because CPJ can't trust the players to make the reads.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You're right, I got air raid and R&S confused. Yes, I'm talking about recently and what we've executed. Hard to remember more than 2 years back. I've seen CPJ's playbook. I'm sure it's got all those routes in it. I just haven't seen very much of those things executed recently. Honestly, it seems like the called plays have been reduced - i don't think the players get as much time to practice as they did years ago. The offense definitely seems simpler/condensed now than 09-13. Heck, we run a lot of called dives or pitches instead of options because CPJ can't trust the players to make the reads.

I think its a mixture of a few things. Reduced practice time is one thing but also skill level our offense was pretty wide open from a run concept in 2014 and with 2 nfl caliber wrs. We rarwly needed anything more complex than the deep comeback. With tevin I thi k we needed alot more trickery in the passing game so lots of mesh concepts and flood concepta to create an open recievers. With vad we had the most non cpj playbook ever. We actually went full run and shoot a bit there. The recievers do practice the 9 route tree in pass scale just like every school does. The thing is we rarely have needed a short game in passing usually that 5 yard gain is taken care of with the inside veer and rocket toss. That 7 yard curl we ran a few times on first down suggest that cpj might want to add a tool to pick that up if a team is playing to aggressive under a soft zone to guard against the go route or smoke route.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of rocket toss and jet sweep - we used to run that a lot with anthony allen. It seems a lot rarer in the past 3 years. Wonder why.

The jet sweep I'm not sure why its gone away. That play calling need seems to be being filled now by qb counter. My guess would be that the new blocking rules on crack blocks killed the jet sweep which relied on the we cracking the lb or safety and the frontaide a back going out to get the corner cant rwally do it the other way the angles are wrong.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Given how upset CPJ was about the performance and the fact that he "rubbed their noses in it" with a pass-first drive; I have to think that this was not what he expected, or what he's been seeing in practice.

After 39 years of coaching, CPJ is pretty realistic. If TQM just couldn't pass the ball, CPJ wouldn't have been calling for him to do it. We'd be running tight formations and single wing like Army does. I have to think he's seen TQM execute everything he called for in practice/scrimmages. Live game is different from practice... I am afraid he might have caught "the yips", to use a baseball term.

But based on all of the post-game interviews, I'm hopeful TQM (and the receivers) had a bad game. Maybe they got it out of their system. Don't get me wrong, TQM is never going to be a gunslinger. I do believe he can do better than we saw yesterday.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Just got home, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. At the half, I texted a friend that TM's passing still sucks. He would sometimes have 3 open guys to throw to, but he invariably chose the least open one. Yes, he got better results in the second half, and a couple of incompletions were sorta freaky. But even in the second half, he threw some too high and some too low. 50% for the game ain't bad at all, but there's just no consistency. But as a TO QB, he seems to have improved a lot. Not only did he finally pitch the ball today, but the 3 he made (I think that was the number) were all perfectly timed and unstoppable. That IMO is a BIG PLUS. He still has an uncanny ability to keep the ball for big gains, and, with one exception, the mesh to the B-backs was perfect. Tobias showed evidence of being a very elusive runner, and he actually made a couple of rocket tosses, which is another plus, but he never got the opportunity to pass, so we don't know how that is. Overall, in spite of the total yards, and a few terrific plays, the offense was not overly impressive to me today. CPJ pretty much said the same in his post-game interview. That has GOT to improve and fast. Another though regarding Tobias, how on earth did he not score on that 1 yard TD sneak. It looked like everybody on the team was in the endzone except him. Do they not push him to get him in in a situation like that? That play was incredibly disappointing, especially after the way he had led us down the field.
I think he actually got into the end zone (at least it looked that way in the replays), but the officials did not review - probably because the game was already out of hand and CPJ doesn't like to run up the score when the game is won.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think he actually got into the end zone (at least it looked that way in the replays), but the officials did not review - probably because the game was already out of hand and CPJ doesn't like to run up the score when the game is won.
I thought the refs were just giving us a chance to run up our yardage stats without making the score embarrassing....:)

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What I thought was kind of shocking were TaQuon's post game comments saying he lost his confidence in first half. I have always thought that the best QBs never lose confidence even when having a bad day.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What I thought was kind of shocking were TaQuon's post game comments saying he lost his confidence in first half. I have always thought that the best QBs never lose confidence even when having a bad day.

I don't know whether TQM is one of the "best QB's", but he has a lot going for him. He is what he is, pluses and minuses, and he's our QB. I'd rather him lose his confidence in the first half and regain it in the second than the other way around. Maybe he just got the yips out. Maybe he'll be a lot better next week.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep he is the best we have and we are going to have to ride him to the finish line. He is really a great young man and someone who is easy to pull for. I think he is a bit misplaced at the QB position but once again, he is our best chance at being successful so we just got to hope he grows and improves as the season goes along.

Go Jackets!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
TM is gonna be a huge headache for opposing Ds even with his passing woes. Look for a lot of QB draws this year imo.

Sometimes he throws over the target, sometimes he throws ducks deep, sometimes he throws too late. When he scrambles he’s hard as hell to contain. I think he’s gonna scramble a lot and throw when defenses start keeping help back to spy him. Will lead to more 1 on 1 coverage and simpler reads.

Time will tell. He can win big games for us though.

Game was a lot more enjoyable not following game time chat. I’m avoiding more of the post game threads for same reason :D

MidtownJacket

Staff member
TM is gonna be a huge headache for opposing Ds even with his passing woes. Look for a lot of QB draws this year imo.

Sometimes he throws over the target, sometimes he throws ducks deep, sometimes he throws too late. When he scrambles he’s hard as hell to contain. I think he’s gonna scramble a lot and throw when defenses start keeping help back to spy him. Will lead to more 1 on 1 coverage and simpler reads.

Time will tell. He can win big games for us though.

Game was a lot more enjoyable not following game time chat. I’m avoiding more of the post game threads for same reason :D

Yeah my stream online was like 5 seconds delayed so I had to have a hard exit early on from the chat.

I will say it was more pleasant not having the negative stream of commentary. I want to win every game, but c’mon we hung 500+ yards and pitched a shut out. Sure it was against a lesser opponent but again. How much more did people really want to see in game one of a new defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with those that thought TQM looked about the same as last year.

I need to watch the replay because I think my brain got baked in the sun yesterday, but one play I recall was the pass that got intercepted after a very humorous offensive pass interference call. TQM looked like that was all the distance he could muster.

With that said, I think Johnson needs to recognize TQMs strengths and weaknesses. I am sure he does but...

Throwing an out to the the wide side of the field, not a good idea. Crossing routes I would think be a better idea. Tech has lots of speed at A back and would be a mismatch for even Clemson's linebackers.

I do not recall a wheel route Saturday (again I baked in the East Upper Deck), but a well timed throw on the wheel route is not that long a throw and can be a thrown with touch.

I really enjoy watching TQM run the ball. He is such a slippery runner. Tech needs him to be successful as a passing QB as well. Maybe, getting him outside the pocket would help. He is a little vertically challenged and I suspect seeing the field is difficult for him. Although I hate it because a roll out takes away half the field. And gives defenders better angles.

Another humorous aspect to the game I commented to the folks at the game. During the last drive with TQM. After the second pass play in a row, I said that Johnson was going to call a pass on every down on this series. (I believe that is correct) With the best pass for last after TQM scrambled and threw a nice tight spiral to a wide open receiver.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I re-watched some of the first half this morning, they zoomed in on TM a couple of times after incomplete passes ... the look on his face was WTF, he definitely wasn't having any fun out there. IMO, TM has the talent for this offense, so I'm writing yesterday off as a bad day ... he'll be back next week !!